The Student Room Group

Londoners, what do you think of London?

I've lived in London all my life and I'm beginning to really dislike it. I find it to be an overcrowded and miserable place. One of London's major selling points is its multicultural diverse environment. Terms such as 'cultural melting pot' and 'cosmopolitan' are frequently associated with London.

But as a non-white citizen in his late 20s, I feel as if I haven't really gained much from living in such a environment. Most of my knowledge/awareness of different cultures has come from actively learning about them via the web. When I really think about, I can't confidently say that I know about this or that because I met someone in London's multicultural environment that took the time to enlighten me about their culture. The only way I've known about something is when I have gone and seeked it out for myself via blogs, forums and other websites.

In my experience people in London still prefer to exist within their own cultural ghettos. And it is hard to become a part of that if you're not of a particular ethnic background. There always seems to be an artificial barrier. I more often that not see groups of people of the same ethnic background hanging around together. Whilst this is perfectly understandable, it makes me question whether people of different backgrounds truly want to integrate and learn about other cultures besides their own. More importantly it makes me question the supposed (cultural) advantages of living in a city like London.

It's also incredibly overcrowded. I don't drive and use public transport and it is a stressful experience. I use the bus service and encounter a lot of inconsiderate, self-entitled people. Worst offenders are school kids and mothers with prams. Yes, I know both exist everywhere, but just feel like the London variants of these passenger types are particularly offensive. Walking thru crowds can be a nightmare because people think the whole pavement belongs to them and their impromptu social chat.
New tower blocks are popping up everywhere, blocking up the sky and eating up the land around it. All just adds to the sense of claustrophobia.

And it is miserable. People are so impatient here, everyone's got their heads down lost in an oversized smartphone, jabbing away at a piece of glass. It's all me, me, me in London. The amount of times I've seen drivers texting at the wheel without a care in the world is just one example that highlights self obsessed nature of people here.
No one really wants to talk much in the old fashioned sense. I know people will say every major city is like this, but I just feel like London is more fragmented and miserable than other UK cities. I've even spoken to a few people that have come from the north of England and they've commented on London's unfriendly nature.

Anyone else identify with these thoughts? What do you guys think of London?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I really hate my area, I want to run away from home and never come back

But I really like central London though, so vibrant & lively
They say that in London your never more than ten metres from a rat. Well replace rats with vicious paedophile and you've got the real London. The only reason anyone would actually want to live in london is to join one of the many child sex rings that have their headquarters based there! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by PigeonBhoy
They say that in London your never more than ten metres from a rat. Well replace rats with vicious paedophile and you've got the real London. The only reason anyone would actually want to live in london is to join one of the many child sex rings that have their headquarters based there! :smile:

This is true. My uncle moved to London purely based on the fact that it is prime paedophilia real estate. Even promised to show me the ropes If I wanted.
I love London, lived here my whole life too. Its my favourite city in the world honestly. Idk I love the vibrant feel of London and the diversity- I cant really imagine myself permanently living anyway else. Going to different places in the UK like Kent or Stoke the lack of diversity is really shocking lol
Reply 5
Trust me if u had seen ur home city or tribe, london would not have been ur favourite city
Reply 6
From a person who has lived in london for 5 years and then moved to somewhere else, i'd still say London was very diverse in comparison to other places. It's the little things i notice for example where i live people often stare or make comments but i noticed in london nobody really cares.
Lol OP you should try moving up north and live on a farm and see how your life is. London is one of the best places to live, you can do pretty much anything you want, can travel anywhere easily. People are friendly as well? You can talk to anyone quite easily. And you are totally wrong about the diversity, every group of friends I know has at least one other ethnicity in their friendship group.

Also, London is a big place so a lot of it does depend where you live, whereabouts do you live?
Original post by BurlyBoy
What's your view of the swarming paedophiles though? If you seem to love living in London you must be one of them. You should meet up with my uncle , share contacts :smile:

Obviously. Message me his number.
Original post by Mr Black Magic

it makes me question whether people of different backgrounds truly want to integrate and learn about other cultures besides their own.

Answer has always been no. I'm not sure why there's a question.

It's also incredibly overcrowded.

God help you if you think London is overcrowded and you ever plan travelling anywhere to America, Asia, South Europe or even South England.

What do you guys think of London?

Personally I think Londonistan is just average.
Yeah kent has next to no nigs or pakis its bizarre i don't understand it!

And that is why Kent is so sh*t.
Dad has an apartment in London, use to go quite often. Don't like it at all. It's really overcrowded, unfriendly, noisy place to be. Standard of living is not great. In comparison to other major cities around the world i would rather go there.

Centre of London is quite nice in terms of tourist attractions however not really affordable for normal people and rightly so. That's the idea that comes into most people's heads when they talk about London but the real fact of London is, it's just one big slum.

Feel sorry for all those grads who have to move there and live in shared housing or small tiny spaces.

It's terrible. However people who live in slough, hounslow etc love to associate themselves with the affluence of inner London LOL
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
London is a **** hole, but good ****.
Original post by deborarosa
I love London, lived here my whole life too. Its my favourite city in the world honestly. Idk I love the vibrant feel of London and the diversity- I cant really imagine myself permanently living anyway else. Going to different places in the UK like Kent or Stoke the lack of diversity is really shocking lol

Everyone talks about the diversity. But what does the diversity of London specifically bring to your life? I live in an inner London borough and I'm surrounded by people from the Carribbean, India, Pakistan, Somalia, West Africa, Eastern Europe, China, Vietnam etc. but I can't actually say I've been culturally enriched by the diversity.

If I've wanted to learn more about the culture of these countries, I usually end up turning to the web and educating myself. I don't see any real intergration among the different ethnic groups. The Somalians have an area, the English occupy certain pubs, Chinese and Vietnamese gather in a certain place etc. Everybody exists within their own insular zones.

The (cultural) benefits of living in a multicultural society for the everyman is an illusion in my opinion. If you're into creative arts or something, multiculturalism is beneficial, but for the everyman I don't see how it really enriches life.

Original post by Bill_Gates
Dad has an apartment in London, use to go quite often. Don't like it at all. It's really overcrowded, unfriendly, noisy place to be. Standard of living is not great. In comparison to other major cities around the world i would rather go there.

Centre of London is quite nice in terms of tourist attractions however not really affordable for normal people and rightly so. That's the idea that comes into most people's heads when they talk about London but the real fact of London is, it's just one big slum.

I really don't understand why everyone wants to live in London. It is loud, dirty and polluted.
I look at a city like Tokyo and I can see why people would want to live there. It's clean, modern, with a great public transport network. People are respectful of others.
I look at the area I'm in and I have dodge salvia puddles, dog **** and discarded boxes of chicken 'n chips.
Yet houses here go for £500,000+. I get on the bus and I'm lucky if I get a seat. And then I have put up with someone's obnoxious phone conversation or a bunch of rowdy youths explicitly talking about how they shagged some girls.

I don't see any real harmony among people.Everyone is just concerned with getting their way.
We have so many ethnic groups who do things their own way with very little incentive to change. As a result London's multicultural society feels somewhat fragmented. Yes we co-exist, but we don't really have deep integration among different groups.

I don't get the fascination with London. The frantic pace, polloution, overcrowding and societal problems that arise from multiculturalism make a boring life in the sticks all the more appealing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Greatest city in the world. There are times when I wish I could just be somewhere else, but I always end up loving this city all over again.
Original post by deborarosa

I don't really have much to say about London, but HOT DAMN that pic.
Reply 16
Original post by TheTrooth
Trust me if u had seen ur home city or tribe, london would not have been ur favourite city

Why is that so?
Original post by Bill_Gates

Feel sorry for all those grads who have to move there and live in shared housing or small tiny spaces.

It's terrible. However people who live in slough, hounslow etc love to associate themselves with the affluence of inner London LOL

I don't know how anyone about that. It was boring as ****, had to spend two days there last week and I got to know the insides of McDonald's fairly well. ****ing ****e.
Yeah kent has next to no nigs or pakis its bizarre i don't understand it!

No need to be a racist dickhead.
Everyone talks about the diversity. But what does the diversity of London specifically bring to your life? I live in an inner London borough and I'm surrounded by people from the Carribbean, India, Pakistan, Somalia, West Africa, Eastern Europe, China, Vietnam etc. but I can't actually say I've been culturally enriched by the diversity.

If I've wanted to learn more about the culture of these countries, I usually end up turning to the web and educating myself. I don't see any real intergration among the different ethnic groups. The Somalians have an area, the English occupy certain pubs, Chinese and Vietnamese gather in a certain place etc. Everybody exists within their own insular zones.

The (cultural) benefits of living in a multicultural society for the everyman is an illusion in my opinion. If you're into creative arts or something, multiculturalism is beneficial, but for the everyman I don't see how it really enriches life.

I really don't understand why everyone wants to live in London. It is loud, dirty and polluted.
I look at a city like Tokyo and I can see why people would want to live there. It's clean, modern, with a great public transport network. People are respectful of others.
I look at the area I'm in and I have dodge salvia puddles, dog **** and discarded boxes of chicken 'n chips.
Yet houses here go for £500,000+. I get on the bus and I'm lucky if I get a seat. And then I have put up with someone's obnoxious phone conversation or a bunch of rowdy youths explicitly talking about how they shagged some girls.

I don't see any real harmony among people.Everyone is just concerned with getting their way.
We have so many ethnic groups who do things their own way with very little incentive to change. As a result London's multicultural society feels somewhat fragmented. Yes we co-exist, but we don't really have deep integration between different groups.

I don't get the fascination with London. The frantic pace, polloution, overcrowding and societal problems that arise from a multiculturalism make a boring life in the sticks all the more appealing.

Diversity is interesting. Without it London wouldn't be as great for me. No, I disagree I feel like the groups are integrated, although certain parts are predominantly south Asian or west African, I do feel like the cultures do integrate and mix. Also it isn't just about the diversity. People say London has 'no soul' but i complete disagree. I find is so vibrant and buzzing. I feel like I could go on a random adventure if I got lost lol. Personally, I love it. Better than Paris and New York to permanently live. Tokyo is a city id love to go one day tho.

Quick Reply

Latest