The Student Room Group

I've had it with my South Asian parents

I'm 20 years old. Studying medicine finished my 3rd year. One of my main hobbies is to lift, powerlifting specifically. I have total of 475 at a bodyweight of 80kg which is respectable.
I've been suffering from depression this past year and finally got the courage to talk to my parents about it only to be told that it's not a real illness. Then got shouted at for lifting and going to a gym where most parents would encourage their child to be healthy, go to the gym and train regularly mine seem to think it's a bad thing because "nobody would want to give their daughter to be married to a bodybuilder" I'm ****ing sick of this ****. I'm 20 years old every time I ****ing come home I get a lecture on how I should be eating food from home because apparently it is healthier than the western food I cook. And if anybody has seen the typical South Asian diet it definitely is not. It's no surprise so many South Asians develop heart diseases so young. I also get shouted at for going to the gym. I go 3,4,5 times a week depending on my training schedule but apparently that is bad for me.
All they seem to ****ing care about is me getting married to some girl they're going to choose for me when I leave uni, and how they are perceived in their community and respect they gain from other people. I have never met such ignorant *******s in my life. I've got back from uni and it's been two weeks and I'm going crazy. I've booked my tickets to go back home in two weeks but not sure if I can maintain my sanity for that long

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm 20 years old. Studying medicine finished my 3rd year. One of my main hobbies is to lift, powerlifting specifically. I have total of 475 at a bodyweight of 80kg which is respectable.
I've been suffering from depression this past year and finally got the courage to talk to my parents about it only to be told that it's not a real illness. Then got shouted at for lifting and going to a gym where most parents would encourage their child to be healthy, go to the gym and train regularly mine seem to think it's a bad thing because "nobody would want to give their daughter to be married to a bodybuilder" I'm ****ing sick of this ****. I'm 20 years old every time I ****ing come home I get a lecture on how I should be eating food from home because apparently it is healthier than the western food I cook. And if anybody has seen the typical South Asian diet it definitely is not. It's no surprise so many South Asians develop heart diseases so young. I also get shouted at for going to the gym. I go 3,4,5 times a week depending on my training schedule but apparently that is bad for me.
All they seem to ****ing care about is me getting married to some girl they're going to choose for me when I leave uni, and how they are perceived in their community and respect they gain from other people. I have never met such ignorant *******s in my life. I've got back from uni and it's been two weeks and I'm going crazy. I've booked my tickets to go back home in two weeks but not sure if I can maintain my sanity for that long

:console: South Asian parents can be a huge pain.
I'd say that you tell them how you feel about their attitudes towards you.

A lot of Asian parents do have this 'image' issue unfortunately. It's a really stupid idea
They are really judgemental and close minded at times, but then again it's your life... oh I have heard this all beforeeeee
Reply 3
Original post by enaayrah
:console: South Asian parents can be a huge pain.
I'd say that you tell them how you feel about their attitudes towards you.

A lot of Asian parents do have this 'image' issue unfortunately. It's a really stupid idea

They're not the type of people to listen to reason, logic or common sense. You cannot have an adult talk with people who have won every argument they've ever had in their life by screaming the loudest.
When your selfishness to maintain your respect/status in your community outweighs the health and general wellbeing of your children. You have essentially failed as a parent. Or if that is your view on the world do not even deserve to have children.
They're not the type of people to listen to reason, logic or common sense. You cannot have an adult talk with people who have won every argument they've ever had in their life by screaming the loudest.
When your selfishness to maintain your respect/status in your community outweighs the health and general wellbeing of your children. You have essentially failed as a parent. Or if that is your view on the world do not even deserve to have children.

Paki families eh?

And everyone wonders why I say Id rather be white..
You seem like you're living a perfectly respectable and healthy life in the eyes of mainstream society, at least.
I feel for you man, I only have one South Asian parent and that's probably enough for me! I hope they come to understand that you have to make your life choices by yourself. Either way, keep up the resistance because you are your own person. Good luck.
Ignore them. Do your thing. Carry on. Asian parents typically have little patience. After a while they'll give up.

I know how you feel. I think the best thing to do will be to get away from them, once you've found your own feet. It's what I plan on doing anyway. They always bang on about the 'honour' and 'dignity' of the family when really, there are so many more important things than creating a superficial image of the 'perfect' family.

It's more worse as a girl, they try to limit your freedoms far too much :sad:
(edited 8 years ago)
Well, what are they going to do? They can't stop you from going to the gym.

You are out in 2 years and are a doctor. Till that point you are really just stuck.

It is hard to accept but parents tend to be quite stubborn. You just have to learn and not to fall into the same habits when you have kids
Original post by antisansculotte
You seem like you're living a perfectly respectable and healthy life in the eyes of mainstream society, at least.

I am. Hence my anger and frustration that they can't seem to accept the fact that I'm doing nothing wrong. I guess it just gives them something to talk about it's not like we have anything in common. I have no desire of coming home either the only reason I am at home at the moment is to sort my student finance out for next year. I've got no intention of coming back here for another year or at all after I graduate.
Original post by footstool1924
Have some ****ing respect for your parents.

They emigrated over to the UK to ensure you got all the opportunities that they didn't get. They worked hard day and night just so that their kids will be comfortable and you are screwing at them because they want you to have the same work ethic as them and not think about yourself but your family (or soon to be).

Be grateful, you ungrateful little sod and be appreciative that they made the journey here so you could have a better life. Be appreciative of the fact that they are taking an interest in your life and steering you into a direction which makes you think about others, and not just yourself.

You want to hit the gym, that's fine. You don't want to eat Asian food, that's fine but do not ever disrespect your parents because they are thinking about your future, not theirs. Until you've suffered the hardships that they have suffered (leaving their homeland and settling in an alien country so you could have a decent life), you have no right to complain.

First of all my parents didn't emigrate here. They were both born here. Nice assumption you've made. It's funny that you think I don't have a work ethic. Whilst studying I hold down a part time job, whenever I'm back here I'm always helping in and around the house fixing this or that. The last few days I have spent gardening. I don't need to do this But I do.
Taking an interest in my life? They take an interest only when it has some sort of impact on them. They couldn't tell you anything about me, what are my likes and dislikes what I do in my spare time other than go to the gym. They couldn't tell you ****.
Again you use the same assumption. Respect is earned. You do not deserve respect because you are older than someone.
Original post by enaayrah
I know how you feel. I think the best thing to do will be to get away from them, once you've found your own feet. It's what I plan on doing anyway. They always bang on about the 'honour' and 'dignity' of the family when really, there are so much more important things than creating a superficial image of the 'perfect' family.

It's more worse as a girl, they try to limit your freedoms far too much :sad:

I feel for you. Over the past year they've been having a real go at my sister also who was slightly overweight saying it looks bad, people look at you and judge you etc. It turned out in an effort to loose weight she was skipping meals and every so often would collapse due to exhaustion. I had to speak to her about it and explain that it's not healthy to loose weight so quickly and she said the only reason she was doing it was because she was tired at being ridiculed by our parents.
There is seriously something ****ed up about this honour and respect they crave from their community

You actually sound like my brother... but he's left uni and is working now
Asian parents are very judgemental and critical but there's not much you can do. Trust me.
What has this got to do with your parents being South Asian? My parents are South Asian and in fact we all go to the gym.
I feel for you. Over the past year they've been having a real go at my sister also who was slightly overweight saying it looks bad, people look at you and judge you etc. It turned out in an effort to loose weight she was skipping meals and every so often would collapse due to exhaustion. I had to speak to her about it and explain that it's not healthy to loose weight so quickly and she said the only reason she was doing it was because she was tired at being ridiculed by our parents.
There is seriously something ****ed up about this honour and respect they crave from their community

That's such an awful thing to make someone do, I hope she's okay now.

It is honestly so messed up. With girls, the only aim they have for us is that we 'marry well', which pressures us to be nothing but 'perfect' by their standards.

The only hope we have is that this will die out in the future.
Original post by College_Dropout
What has this got to do with your parents being South Asian? My parents are South Asian and in fact we all go to the gym.

Seeking approval from the local community. Maintaining honour. Not tarnishing the family name are very much traits that are to do with South Asian communities. Not saying all South Asian parents are like this but in my experience and judging by the agreement with some of the people that have commented on this I'm not alone.
First of all my parents didn't emigrate here. They were both born here. Nice assumption you've made. It's funny that you think I don't have a work ethic. Whilst studying I hold down a part time job, whenever I'm back here I'm always helping in and around the house fixing this or that. The last few days I have spent gardening. I don't need to do this But I do.

The point still stands. They have made sacrifices for you. Sacrifices that wouldn't have made had they been thinking about themselves.

But no, you just want to think about yourself. You want praise for doing some work around the house. You want them to appreciate you because you think you are putting in a lot of effort.

Taking an interest in my life? They take an interest only when it has some sort of impact on them. They couldn't tell you anything about me, what are my likes and dislikes what I do in my spare time other than go to the gym. They couldn't tell you ****.

You want to feel loved, you want to feel appreciated, you want to be molly-cuddled.

Spare me the emotional crap.

Again you use the same assumption. Respect is earned. You do not deserve respect because you are older than someone.

The white liberal definition of "Respect". Great!

A person deserves respect because they have "manned up" and taken some ****ing responsibility. What kind of responsibility have you taken? Have you had to make hard decisions? Sacrifices? Do you know what it is like to have kids? Care for them? Work your ass off so that you do the best by them? Have you tried running your own household? The constant ache of having to think about others rather than simply yourself?

Boy, you haven't even come close to repaying your parents for the life they have given you.
Seeking approval from the local community. Maintaining honour. Not tarnishing the family name are very much traits that are to do with South Asian communities. Not saying all South Asian parents are like this but in my experience and judging by the agreement with some of the people that have commented on this I'm not alone.

Which in South Asian country are they from?
Does this occurs for all South Asian cultures ?
I never see this happen with my Nepalese friends.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending