The Student Room Group

My friends make me feel lonely

In psychology we talked about how you need to make friends because when you're having a hard time your friends will your social support group.

But when I needed them I found out that none of them were really my friends. My friends are the kind that like to tease each other a lot. And most of the time it's pretty friendly teasing. But when I needed them to be there for me they weren't.

And to make matters worse they still teased me. They said things like "No one cares" after I would say something, or laugh at me when I would ask a question about a slang word that I didn't know, or tell me "it doesn't matter" when I ask them what they were talking about, or when I want to talk about a difficult concept because I'm interested they would dismiss it. And a lot of times when we're all together I feel like they're just talking around me. Not to me.

When I talk to some of them individually I have a lot of fun talking to them. They're different. Nicer.

I made some new friends they aren't around that much. So I still have to deal with the others. And our department is small, so I can't avoid them.

They were supposed to be my friends, and it was blatantly obvious that I was having a hard time. But I still tried to be friends with them. They didn't mean anything by their teasing. I've lightheartedly said that the things they have said are mean or hurtful, but they always think I'm kidding. And I try to laugh it off as much as I can, but I've started spending more and more time alone. And honestly, I feel more lonely when I'm around them.

I know I can't lock myself in a practice room all the time. But I can't serious tell them that I think that sometimes the things they say come across in a hurtful manner, because they're not doing anything wrong. It's just how I'm perceiving it.

I'm just not sure what I should be doing right now.
Hey I Get what you mean, life can get that way a number of times; you take some twists and turns and somehow you end up alone - It seems to happen so much in at least my life anyway. :P

Maybe it's time to try talk to people who are outside of school and those who are different to your usual friend group, (you never know what stories other have until you ask!) just find those who care about your feelings than the constant "we don't care" of the cool kid clique.

Quality of friendships is paramount, regardless of how many you have.
Reply 2
As anon 2 n°2 said, Try to make more gentle friend(s) who you'd feel more comfortable being with, or maybe talk to one of them by themselves and tell them that it's hurtful, and that you're not comfortable with it and maybe do taht with 2 or 3 of them so that enough people in their group know:smile: The thing is, the more they 're gonna "tease" you, the more likely you are to loose confidence and feel lonely with them so try to find a way so that it stops getting worse:smile: and although it's true friends are helpful you can stand by yourself and be strong too!
Original post by xsashax
As anon 2 n°2 said, Try to make more gentle friend(s) who you'd feel more comfortable being with, or maybe talk to one of them by themselves and tell them that it's hurtful, and that you're not comfortable with it and maybe do taht with 2 or 3 of them so that enough people in their group know:smile: The thing is, the more they 're gonna "tease" you, the more likely you are to loose confidence and feel lonely with them so try to find a way so that it stops getting worse:smile: and although it's true friends are helpful you can stand by yourself and be strong too!
Aw 'gentle friends' I like that, sounds super cute :h:

Quick Reply

Latest