The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel History B - The Transformation of Surgery (Tuesday 16th June Paper)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by kaysimmonite
does anyone have any key pointers or facts about communication as a factor???

The emphasis on scientific methods during the 17th and 18th centuries had led scientists to publish their ideas and details of their experiments. During the 19th century many scientific and medical journals, such as the journal produced by the Royal college of Surgeons, encouraged the publication and discussion of new ideas and problems. For example, the death of Hannah Greener from chloroform was reported in the medical journal The Lancet.

The reason why surgeons were able to make use of X-rays so soon after Roentgen's discovery was because he published his work and did not take out a patent to prevent other people from copying his ideas.

Surgeons often wanted their work to be recorded. We have both photographs and artwork of several key events, such as the first use of ether, field surgery in the First World War and the work of Gilles in plastic.

The public were also interested in developments in surgery, so the papers reported the first use of anaesthetics, Queen Victoria's use of chloroform and the removal of King Edward VII's appendix.

Sometimes surgeons and scientists would travel to visit each other or to meet for conferences. Lister travelled through Germany and around the USA discussing his ideas. He met Pasteur in Paris in 1892 at a conference of 2,500 scientists, when Lister paid tribute to the importance of Pasteur's work. Nevertheless, communication was not always effective. Lister did not know about the work of Semmelweiss, and Morestin was unwilling to share his ideas on plastic surgery with Harold Gilles.
Which question has been changed (moved or added?)
1. 6 mark inference Q. Same as American West 4 mark state two things you can learn from the source. "In the source I can see...This suggests that..." x2

2. 8 mark purpose question. Think about why that source has been produced. What is the point of it?! Is it to inform, persuade, promote, entertain, mock, educate etc. You need to identify the purpose and then give 2 points from the source to back up the purpose and 2 points from your own knowledge. E.g I know the purpose is to persuade because the source uses persuasive/exaggerated language. I know the source is to persuade because from my own knowledge I know that people opposed chloroform... (obviously in lots more detail)

3. 10 mark why question. Just like an American West 12 mark question. 4 paragraphs and a conclusion. 4 well explained points remember to use the source for some and your own knowledge for some. Conc - which is the most important factor/point and why.

4. 10 mark reliable question. Exactly the same as your medicine question 3 (useful) but you have two sources to compare. For each source explain whether you trust it (whether it is reliable) using your own knowledge and the source. Think about is it complete? Accurate? Primary/secondary? Biased? What's the purpose? Who wrote it? Also think about whether the information is correct (using your own knowledge? Has it left out any information you know? Make sure you have a conc - which source is the most reliable (trustworthy) and why?

5. 16 mark essay question. Like American West you will be given a statement and have to agree and disagree. 5 paragraphs and a conclusion. Remember you MUST use the sources (at least the three in the Q but you can use more) and your own knowledge. Every time you quote from a source make sure that you say whether the source is reliable or not. Conclusion overall do you AND the sources agree or disagree with the statement.

So...TOP TIPS:

Include QUOTES from the sources (but not too long)
ALWAYS link back to the question!!!!!
Use your OWN KNOWLEDGE
Remember your 3 SPAG marks on Q5
Original post by MiracleLeaf
Is anyone else doing this paper on Tuesday? If you are, please reply with some of your predictions or tips :smile:

My teacher says she thinks factors will be the topic of the paper
Reply 44
Good luck everyone :smile: Just don't panic!
I agree, you lot will ace it! Just go for it - do your best because that is all you can do 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
I'm not nearly as nervous about this paper as I was for the other two. Medicine completely freaked me out and I did over twenty hours of revision for it. Nazi Germany I knew a lot more, so about seven hours of revision. And surgery I've only done about two, not including making a tonne of flashcards. I got an A* on the surgery mock, and overall in History I am aiming for an A. My coursework was A, and I found Medicine and Germany to be not exactly easy, but not hard either.

Good luck tomorrw.
I know this is a bit late in the game guys, but if you need some last minute reminders of dates or specific factors, check this out. It's really helpful I think.

http://www.askwillonline.com/2011/06/surgery-c1845-c1918-b3-history-gcse.html?m=1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SaltireBarron
I know this is a bit late in the game guys, but if you need some last minute reminders of dates or specific factors, check this out. It's really helpful I think.

http://www.askwillonline.com/2011/06/surgery-c1845-c1918-b3-history-gcse.html?m=1

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love you
Original post by SenpaiBlazeit
I love you

Can't sleep either, huh?
Thanks, God knows how I found that. It was pretty damn obscure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck guys, let me know how you found the exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surprised to find all First World War questions but I found it pretty easy. How did everyone find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Timings awful, I knew what to write. But I struggled to get it all down in time. D all the way (Y)
Original post by Olmeister
Timings awful, I knew what to write. But I struggled to get it all down in time. D all the way (Y)

It was all aids for me, my timings were awful, and I barely took up the provided space given. Didn't give an intro for the last question but a conclusion.
Reply 54
I don't know how some people found that easy, I think I messed up. I got really sick of the war questions and I wrote stuff, but I'm not sure if they answered the question - I just wrote all I knew about a topic :s-smilie:
Reply 55
It was an easy paper but I'm not sure if I answered the questions very well 😂

A lot of people I've talked to have said that timing was a real issue. I really didn't like the 8 marker followed by two 10 markers and I think that threw a lot of people off. That being said, I worked backwards and managed to finish right as the invigilator collected my paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does it matter what conclusion you come to? As long as you back it up?
Does it matter what conclusion you come to? As long as you back it up?

Not really, as long as it's within reason and you have relevant sources and historical info.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i messed up i couldnt remember when blood groups were discovered so i said about people dying from being given the wrong blood type in the source about tranfusions :/ i liked the 16 mark question and reliability question however

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending