The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why clearing, just late? If you get an AAB and can't get into a good uni like Nottingham, KCL, Bristol or somewhere then I would take a gap year and apply again.
Reply 2
I heard KCL Maths is available through clearing and their standard offer is AAB (no further maths required).
tazmanmaniac
Why clearing, just late? If you get an AAB and can't get into a good uni like Nottingham, KCL, Bristol or somewhere then I would take a gap year and apply again.

nah, i picked chemistry and medicine. doubt very much i get into medicine, and got an offer from Imperial for chemistry

but i doubt i can manage an A in chemistry

plus it's so damn hard, and i like maths more
Reply 4
If the likes of Imperial will accept you... I would probably string something up for a gap year and reapply next year to top places as well as try and do some STEP/AEA/further maths in the summer of the gap year, you can probably do better than places like KCL.
KCL gave me an ABB offer so don't always think you'll get the worst either. I'm a bit confused, you enjoy chemistry but have only chosen maths because you are better at it and you will get into a good uni or do you feel maths would be the better option? Oh and if you're doing OCR chemistry look into getting Heinmanns revision guides, I was just taking chemistry as a token subject and thought Id get a C but thanks to them I'm aiming for an A, they're immense.
i like maths as well!

to be honest, i was stuck on choice between chemistry and maths

both quality degrees
Reply 7
yea..ABB is standard offer for those with further maths A level.
but i dont do further maths

>_<

my school dont offer it
Reply 9
I've applied for maths and everywhere I looked, not doing further maths wasn't an issue because they know that a lot of schools don't offer it, and they've all said that anything you need to know, you'll catch up with, so don't worry about that.

If you don't get any offers for medicine, can't you decline your chemistry offers and then use the Extra thing on UCAS to apply somewhere for maths? I think you can only apply to one uni at a time so you wouldn't get an insurance choice, but it's probably easier than trying to go through clearing.
i think i may do that

but there's so many maths degrees!

how do you know which one is the right one for you!?

oh, and imperial gave me an offer of AAB, whereas maths requires AAA if you do not take further maths.

im doing an AEA maths paper, but i feel like i cannot get an A in chemistry no matter what

>_<
Manchester, Nottingham and Soton were in UCAS extra, so they might be in clearing?

mpat89
..you can probably do better than places like KCL.
Is KCL not good, or not good for maths?
Reply 12
mpat89
If the likes of Imperial will accept you... I would probably string something up for a gap year and reapply next year to top places as well as try and do some STEP/AEA/further maths in the summer of the gap year, you can probably do better than places like KCL.

You definitely can, I can concur.
Reply 13
I do maths at Nottingham and everyone who has done some degree of further have found it helps A LOT. Especially with matrices modules. Most people tend to do a combination of M2/M3/S2/S3/S4/M4 at further which helps a lot with stats and mechanics aswell. My school didn't offer it so I bought the books and taught myself it and took the exam where I could
but, i always have worries

>_<

looking at the grades needed, i need AAA or AAB

>_<

and having never done further maths, i dont know if it hard or not.

is further maths difficult? how hard compared with a normal a level?

and can i do a full a level in further maths in a year?
Astudentinneed

and can i do a full a level in further maths in a year?
Depends how good you are at Maths...
Reply 16
Ancient Beast
Depends how good you are at Maths...

Yeah. Just think you're going to have to do 6 units in that time, and while the applied modules are fine, parts of the further pure modules can be hard to get your head around because it's completely new stuff that doesn't even build on stuff from C1-4. If you're good at maths and have got the time and willpower to do it, then look some more at the course and the syllabus and decide for yourself, but at all the uni open days I've been to, they've said it's not necessary and you get taught everything you need to know in the first year so that everyone is on the same level.
Reply 17
Maths, much like Chemistry was undersubscribed in universities across GB. A report was dcoumented on what it would take to increase numbers within Maths. Since the reports was published, applicants to read Math's have increased. Details on the report can eb found here.
walshie
Maths, much like Chemistry was undersubscribed in universities across GB. A report was dcoumented on what it would take to increase numbers within Maths. Since the reports was published, applicants to read Math's have increased. Details on the report can eb found here.
Chemistry is still quite undersubscribed...

I think the main thing they did to stop this in Maths was the re-structuring of the A-level syllabus. They made it easier. The content of core units is just so much more thinner than the previous pure units. They have shifted some of the old AS stuff into the new A2, such as modulus, ranges and domains, revolution integration etc...

Edit: nobody in my school failed AS Maths, 75% in my Chemistry class failed.
Reply 19
Ancient Beast
Chemistry is still quite undersubscribed...

I think the main thing they did to stop this in Maths was the re-structuring of the A-level syllabus.

Edit: nobody in my school failed AS Maths, 75% in my Chemistry class failed.

Chemistry is getting better year on year. Many universities were quick to put under threat their departments, although in QM's case, it had more of a valid point as Chemistry was there worst scoring department in the Research Assessment Exercise. Here is a link to the brighter looking future of chemistry concerning a few universities:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=7715902&postcount=24

Are you sure the chemistry failing's weren't a result of improper teaching rather than the subject being a bore? I'll admit - Chemistry is a shockingly boring subject (I even set my hand alight in class as I was so bored), and some universities are improving their departments to give the subject a renaissance as per the Independent newspaper hyperlink on my post :smile:

Latest