The Student Room Group

C4 Vectors Help

Hiya,

I'm having some real trouble with part b to the question attached. I dont understand why the mark scheme does the vector AB multiplied by the 6i+c-k part of the vector r.

If anyone can explain it to me that would be great!
the equation of the line did not appear in the document.

can you post a link instead ?
Reply 2
How do i post as a link? O.o
Original post by LuckyEms
How do i post as a link? O.o

i have found it a suitable link; you just copy and paste like this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=289948&d=1401318184.

it is question 6
Reply 4
Yeah thats the paper i got it from, i just cut it down to the question and answer only.
Hiya,

I'm having some real trouble with part b to the question attached. I dont understand why the mark scheme does the vector AB multiplied by the 6i+c-k part of the vector r.

if AB is perpendicular to line L then AB.{the direction of L} = 0
Reply 6
So is the second part of vector r the direction? Is that always the case with vectors that appear like that?
Hiya,<br />
<br />
I'm having some real trouble with part b to the question attached. I dont understand why the mark scheme does the vector AB multiplied by the 6i+c-k part of the vector r. <br />
<br />

Dot product it and the final value should equal 0 as it's perpendicular
So is the second part of vector r the direction? Is that always the case with vectors that appear like that?

yes the bit multiplied by lambda or mu is the direction of the line.
Reply 9
And you only multiply it by the direction because you want to know if its perpendicular? Is that why you don't multiply it by the whole vector?
Reply 10
Sorry, and part d, i dont understand why they have done OA+BA...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending