The Student Room Group

Sharp belly button pain

I am having this sharp pain in my belly button when I stretch or try to sit straight. It's like a string being pulled behind my belly button and it's very uncomfortable and painful; so to reduce the pain I have to slouch when seated.
The pain came suddenly and I'm worried that it might worsen or that it might be appendicitis. I've still got 3 exams left and really cannot deal with this now as it's affecting my studies.
Please any advices would be very much appreciated!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by seph_muriel
I am having this sharp pain in my belly button when I stretch or try to sit straight. It's like a string being pulled behind my belly button and it's very uncomfortable and painful; so to reduce the pain I have to slouch when seated.
The pain came suddenly and I'm worried that it might worsen or that it might be appendicitis. I've still got 3 exams left and really cannot deal with this now as it's affecting my studies.

if its only in the middle of your stomach i wouldnt worry about appendicitis. Do pain killers have any effect at all? if they dont go see a doctor
Original post by claireestelle
if its only in the middle of your stomach i wouldnt worry about appendicitis. Do pain killers have any effect at all? if they dont go see a doctor

I had 2 paracetamol tablets an hour or so ago but it's not doing much. I'm fine when slouched down but as soon as I try to stretch or move my belly, it hurts.

Omg I have this a same pain and all I can do is take painkillers right now
I had 2 paracetamol tablets an hour or so ago but it's not doing much. I'm fine when slouched down but as soon as I try to stretch or move my belly, it hurts.

you might have injured a muscle or something, wait 4 hours then maybe try some ibuprofen otherwise get it checked out by your gp to be safe

The first port of call would be to take some painkillers. You can take 1g of paracetamol four times per day. In addition to this, you can include 400mg of ibuprofen between doses, assuming you're safe to take ibuprofen.

If your pain is worsening, it's good to know what services are available should you need them. This would obviously include your GP, but you could also see a pharmacist or attend a walk-in clinic. There's also out-of-hours GP and A&E should you feel it is becoming more urgent.

Original post by claireestelle

The appendix is a bit of a funny one. Embryologically it originates from the midgut hence early pain is referred to the umbilicus until the inflamed viscera presses against the abdominal wall, at which point the pain moves to the lower right side (classically).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Etomidate
The first port of call would be to take some painkillers. You can take 1g of paracetamol four times per day. In addition to this, you can include 400mg of ibuprofen between doses, assuming you're safe to take ibuprofen.

If your pain is worsening, it's good to know what services are available should you need them. This would obviously include your GP, but you could also see a pharmacist or attend a walk-in clinic. There's also out-of-hours GP and A&E should you feel it is becoming more urgent.

The appendix is a bit of a funny one. Embryologically it originates from the midgut hence early pain is referred to the umbilicus until the inflamed viscera presses against the abdominal wall, at which point the pain moves to the lower right side (classically).

I'm more worried because last year the same thing happened to me and I had to be rushed to the A&E; the doctor thought at first that it was appendicitis but turns out it wasn't. A year ago, the pain was more spread out my large intestine and more towards the right side but now it's more centred around my navel.
Even when I urinate or coughs, it hurts so it worries me.
I already took some paracetamol tablets but the pain is still there, worse than when it started :frown:
Stop sticking your finger in it
Original post by Foo.mp3
I had something similar to this come on around this time last year (during my finals) OP. It felt a bit like a pulled something/blockage but it was actually the result of chronic inflammation associated with seafood allergy and a change in my diet (I had taken to eating near enough a tin of sardines each day) :facepalm2:

You might find the painkillers make it worse/are the cause. I gave myself gut convulsions by routinely taking ibuprofen as a crutch to try to get through uni at one point :erm:

I can't do anything else,i came to breaking point last night and resorted to crying in the middle of the night in front of the night nurse,so embarrassing to say the least.it affects my sleep,has destroyed my relationship with my family and turned me into a miserable person. On top of that I have to secure definite help from someone who is willing to look after me once I leave here because the doctors have told me it is irresponsible. Everybody I have asked is just 'considering it' so as a last resort I may have to put up gum tree ads. I seriously do not want to go back to living in a lonely house all by myself.
(edited 8 years ago)
It sounds like it could be appendicitis, possibly worsening because you're getting more pain when coughing and urinating. It would be better in the long run to go to A/E sooner, because if appendicitis perforates (of course that suggests it has to be appendicitis) you're probably gonna be in hospital for longer than you would have been otherwise.

It could also be something like pancreatitis, which would also suggest you'd best get to the hospital ASAP. In any case, go see someone about it because if you can put your mind (and belly) at rest then you can focus on your exams more.
I used to get this quite regularly, it turned out to be recurring water infections in my case.
I'd see a doctor, but in the meantime - paracetamol, ibuprofen (tablets if it's not bad for your stomach, gel if it is), loads of water, try heat and ice.

Please talk to a doctor. They'll be able to help you more than anyone on this forum :smile:
Original post by Foo.mp3
You can take moderate amounts of paracetamol and, like minimarshmallow suggests, only use NSAID gels, not tablets, so you don't destroy your gut

I'm very sorry to hear that but there are other options, which you need to pursue without delay..

Have you spoken to your docs about it? Would be a good idea to get it looked into. I would request a physical examination and possibly an X-ray if it persists. Also look at your diet and what you are medicating with. If you are taking antibiotics then it could be related to your glut flora (especially if you are experiencing IBS), in which case I would suggest pre and pro biotics. I'm happy to give you further advice should you require it

Agreed, and you know I'm more than happy/qualified to do this in so long as you satisfy the H criterion and agree to stick to my regime :whip:

I know you like your broscience, but c'mon. You're plucking stuff out of thin air here.
Original post by Foo.mp3
You can take moderate amounts of paracetamol and, like minimarshmallow suggests, only use NSAID gels, not tablets, so you don't destroy your gut

I'm very sorry to hear that but there are other options, which you need to pursue without delay..

Have you spoken to your docs about it? Would be a good idea to get it looked into. I would request a physical examination and possibly an X-ray if it persists. Also look at your diet and what you are medicating with. If you are taking antibiotics then it could be related to your glut flora (especially if you are experiencing IBS), in which case I would suggest pre and pro biotics. I'm happy to give you further advice should you require it

Agreed, and you know I'm more than happy/qualified to do this in so long as you satisfy the H criterion and agree to stick to my regime :whip:

but don't those gels contain ibruprofen?

The problem had started early on Saturday but at first I thought it was just a mild stomach ache or something. The pain I felt last night was different,it was much more painful than the last few days,anyway I'm having tests done today as it was only last night I decided to tell the. It could actually be related to the antibiotics I have been taking all these months or flatulence or female issues.Did you doctor prescribe anything for you? My diet so far has been okay,o usually have porridge in the morning to kickstart my system and salads for lunch/sandwiches and as for dinner, I only have it depending on how I'm feeling and I consume a lot of water
. I don't know what's the best diet to have when in pain but I generally avoid salty and oily foods. Also was it just the belly button or was your pain concentrated around the whole abdominal area? Was it soft to touch?

I know but I has to be someone who stays over for at least a few weeks,a commitment to do so. What regime?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3
I can assure you I'm not, 'bro'

Riddle me why an x-ray would be of any use? What would you be looking for, here? An abdo x-ray has two main indications, neither of which are apparent here.

Why would you use a topical NSAID for abdominal pain? The only place this has is MSK pain, particularly the hands and knees. Besides, the risk associated with TDS ibuprofen in a young person for appropriate durations is negligible.

Finally, you have no real idea about this person's pain or their symptoms. Yet you're prattling on about probiotics, GI toxins and other voodoo nonsense.

You describe yourself as 'more than qualified'. You're not.
(edited 8 years ago)
Riddle me why an x-ray would be of any use? What would you be looking for, here? An abdo x-ray has two main indications, neither of which are apparent here.

Why would you use a topical NSAID for abdominal pain? The only place this has is MSK pain, particularly the hands and knees. Besides, the risk associated with TDS ibuprofen in a young person for appropriate durations is negligible.

Finally, you have no real idea about this person's pain or their symptoms. Yet you're prattling on about probiotics, GI toxins and other voodoo nonsense.

You describe yourself as 'more than qualified'. You're not.

He knows me very well indeed and what symptoms I have had,the antibiotics I have been taking for my TB and how my health has been in general. He is not the first person to warn me that ibuprofen is bad for you when taken continuously which I have done over the course of a year and a half. Do not assume things about someone or belittle their knowledge. You don't know me or anything about my illnesses,he's the best person to judge and comment on what steps I should take also what's with the attitude? Tone it down
Original post by Foo.mp3
e.g. to identify any signs of GI inflammation/obstruction/examine faecal load

An abdominal xray for faecal loading is an inappropriate use of resources and an unnecessary radiation exposure. And do you really think that this person is obstructed? Based on what, exactly? Also below you state that she's had problems for over a year - you think that she's been obstructed FOR A YEAR? Have you ever actually seen anyone with obstruction?

An abdo xray should not be the first port of call for GI inflammation unless you're wanting to rule out toxic megacolon in someone with inflammatory bowel disease, and they would be acutely unwell indeed.

"To minimize the potential risk for an adverse GI event in patients treated with an NSAID, the lowest effective dose should be used for the shortest possible duration" - drugs.comFurthermore, this is a girl who has had chronic health problems for over a year, including GI symptoms, and who may well have been taking NSAIDs for some time
So you think she has a peptic ulcer? With umbilical pain? Really? Have you examined her abdomen? Asked her about malaena? Reviewed her full blood count? You're making a lot of presumptions here and giving advice which is incorrect. A topical NSAID is not appropriate for abdominal pain.

Your false presumptions astound me :facepalm2:Thanks for your constructive comments :smile:Riddle me why you're posting here at all - because so far all you've managed is to make a couple of ignorant/false negative assumptions - about the earnest and well meaning advice offered by another user to a couple of users who are in a fix - and use antagonistic language that makes you look an turgid prick? :dontknow:I'm eminently 'qualified' for the role to which I was referring, thank you
I've offered the original poster advice to ensure that he/she has covered the basics along with some advice on how to seek further attention. This is all the advice that SHOULD be given based on such little information and the fact that this is nothing but text on a screen.

The only thing you're qualified to do is peddle quackery.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3
I can assure you I'm not, 'bro':mute:

Aye, but NSAIDS can do less damage to your gut if applied topically than ingested, although there are still risks

Good. Standard tests will include urinary analysis I should think (examining any related UTIs, which are of course among the most plausible causes)

Was given anti-convulsants when I had the convusions, but that wasn't really appropriate (mind you, neither the doctor nor I knew at that stage what the cause was). Regarding the later issue, I was told charcoal would be good for soaking up any GI toxins, and peppermint oil for tackling indigestion (again, neither the doc nor I knew at that stage what the cause was)

Not around meals I hope

Spoiler

Little and often, not too fiberous/rough, and always complex carbs over high refined sugars/processed foods + EFAs + Colostrum + Pre/Pro-biotics + NAC (if symptoms are allergic/inflammatory linked). Given the strength of your hay fever, and possible connection to oral cross-reactivity, you ought arguably to consider what you are eating e.g. see my leaky gut article for a list of foods belonging to different allergenic food families (coloured writing just over half way down the page)

Also, if you have a lot of runny food/don't chew much, and have irregular bowel movements, consider chewing gum for half an hour or so immediately after eating

If you're still hypertensive then that's a good call - I'd maintain electrolytes if sweating a lot but otherwise keep salt intake to a healthy minimum

It was near the naval, but that was incidental, and the area was normal to touch, but particularly uncomfortable when prodded in certain places. It was quite acute discomfort, that came on quite quickly, which is weird for a chronic allergic response, but there you go!

Like you say you can always be discharged for a few days and then see you get on and return if needs be. Will discuss/agree the details with you in person

im having an ultra sound scan done this afternoon and a blood test early tomorrow morning.

Aye,I usually have a glass an hour before. I never have it during a meal because it puts me off my food and makes me feel so full.

My hypertension usually spikes when I'm extremely stressed and I generally tend to avoid salty food in general. I get really moody when my blood pressure starts playing up.

I'll check out your leaky gut article. Tbh I really do miss my pure Middle eastern honey.

I chew gum all the time before and after a meal,most of the time.

Mine is tender and hurts when you release the pressure too.

I know but I want to do everything I can to make sure I don't need to return here,I don't like having to return so I need someone to take care of me long term to make sure that needn't happen.
An abdominal xray for faecal loading is an inappropriate use of resources and an unnecessary radiation exposure. And do you really think that this person is obstructed? Based on what, exactly? Also below you state that she's had problems for over a year - you think that she's been obstructed FOR A YEAR? Have you ever actually seen anyone with obstruction?

An abdo xray should not be the first port of call for GI inflammation unless you're wanting to rule out toxic megacolon in someone with inflammatory bowel disease, and they would be acutely unwell indeed.

So you think she has a peptic ulcer? With umbilical pain? Really? Have you examined her abdomen? Asked her about malaena? Reviewed her full blood count? You're making a lot of presumptions here and giving advice which is incorrect. A topical NSAID is not appropriate for abdominal pain.

I've offered the original poster advice to ensure that he/she has covered the basics along with some advice on how to seek further attention. This is all the advice that SHOULD be given based on such little information and the fact that this is nothing but text on a screen.

The only thing you're qualified to do is peddle quackery.

What is your problem?
Original post by Anonymous
What is your problem?

I'm just deeply uncomfortable with people pushing misinformation to individuals who are in a position to want to believe anything. Especially when it's done with the agenda of selling gimmicky health fads/diets/services.

Quick Reply

Latest