The Student Room Group

Driving on uphill

Iam new to driving.I just learned the basics of car driving.During driving i had to stop car in a uphill during traffic. I released the brake For movement car suddenly rolled back.How to avoid that?My driving school instructor said that using handbrake or biting point we can avoid this.Can you explain both methods in detail.which method is good?
Reply 1
handbrake, self explanatory. clutch down, foot break on, put the handbrake on to secure the car, then foot off the foot break, then you have the time to get your feet ready to move off, when you're ready to go again, find a strong bite, add some gas, release handbrake and you'll move.

holding it on the clutch is simply holding he car steady by lifting or dipping the clutch by tiny amounts to keep the car from moving forwards or rolling back, as you're about to stop, dip the clutch to just below biting point and raise it a little, to hold the car still, the same as if you were going to move off from stationary, you'd find your bite, lift a little and you'll move, drop a little and you'll roll back, finding the bite on a hill is simply finding the point on the clutch where you can hold the car still and then add the gas and lift the clutch to move off.

there's nothing stopping you from doing clutch down, foot brake on, find the bite on the clutch and then release the foot brake, it'll make the whole catching the bite a little less daunting and remove the fear of rolling back in to someone.

Personally I think its easier to find the bite, or to keep the car rolling slowly in first, by making little adjustments with the clutch to inch forward extremely slowly, but as a learner its probably best to do a full handbrake stop, a tiny inch rollback on your test can and will be a fail, is it worth it for the sake of a few seconds? you can get better at 'everyday driving' after you test in your own time in your own car.

Catching the bite and holding it is much easier than doing a hill start from stationary, but the ability to do it only comes from trial and error, some hills will require more or less clutch to hold it still, some will require some gas etc but too high and you'll move forwards, higher again and you'll likely stall, too low and you'll roll backwards, its tricky to get your feet working in sync initially, but it'll come with practice, once you 'get it' you'll just do the minor adjustments without realising it.

When you get a little more peddle confidence you'll just roll up to where you're stopping and hold the car with the clutch without giving it a second thought, its just one of those things that 'just happen' when you have a little more experience.

securing the car with the handbrake on a hill is the best way to go until you have the peddle work figured out.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending