The Student Room Group

Shaving irritation

Right, I've been shaving quite a while, usually once every 2 or 3 days, but recently, my facial hair has been growing quicker, and I've got a girlfriend who complains if I don't shave.

I shave using some fancy Caswell-Massey shaving cream (it was a gift), a badger hair brush and a Gillette Mach 3, and recently I've been noticing that patches have been coming up red, and feel slightly irritated. I usually shave with the grain, and sometimes across it, but never against. Any ideas on what I can do to stop this?
Reply 1
Cold water, get some after shave balm. Try a) changing razor more often and b) changing shaving cream.
Reply 2
i use gilette shaving cream with conditioner, which is good and also after i shave i splash cold water and also i use nivea cream, which is also good. then after half an hour i use aftershave. i love keeping facial hair now and then. like now i haven't shaved for a week and i feel good, i just trim it everyday.
king of shaves aftershave gel (or summat like that) is pretty good, if not a bit expensive
Reply 4
How often do you change blades? You know, it's suggested that you change it every 6-7 shaves. I do so every 6. It's expensive, but the results are very good!
Reply 5
A lot of the time its down to poor prep.
I am something of an obsessive when it comes to chasing the perfect shave.
Ive tried everything!

Place your razor into a cup of ice cold water.
Wash your face with soap with as hot water as you can stand. Take the effort to really work the soap in before rinsing.
Dry your face.
Wet it once more with warm water.
Use a badger brush on a bar of soap and work it into a creamy lather and apply to your face.
Never let the lather dry out on your face.
Take the razor from the water and draw the blade in a straight line in a steady continuous long stroke. If using a cutthroat razor keep the angle between 20 and 30 degrees the skin. With your free hand you should try to strech the skin keeping it as tight as possible.
Between each stroke of the razor, rinse it off in the wash basin (some people are allergic to their own shavings which can cause razor rash) you should then dip the razor back in the cup of cold water to chill the blade.

If you need to go over an area again you *MUST* apply more lather to the area otherwise you will be taking skin off with the blade.

Once you have finished your shave, fill the basin with water from the cold tap and splash it onto your face. This will close your pores up.

Dont bother with alcohol based aftershaves... they dry up the skin.
You may use some aftershave balm if you wish though.

Once you have mastered a safety razor, consider using an open or cutthroat razor... the shave is soooo much closer. You can also let the lather soak into your skin whilst you sharpen the blade making the skin even softer.

HTH.

JOn.
Reply 6
As an aside... if you do ever get round to buying a propper razor, you should get one made by Dovo of germany. The BEST razors money can buy.
The cheapest one I could find looking quickly was this one...
http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shaving/dovo-of-solingen/dovo-straight-razor-4580.php
Now, its only a 5/8" blade so you may find it a little tricky to handle.
They do however, do a 6/8 version. However, the price goes up. Don't be conned into buying one with a fancy handle. Whilst it may look nice, its the blade that does the work! The same blade is fitted to an ebony handled model and a ivory handled model. You get exactly the same shave though.

You must take care to oil the blade. If you dont they will rust on the surface. My solingen razor hasnt been used since before christmas. Guess what... I didnt oil it properly. :frown:

The nice thing about them is they just get sharper and sharper when you first get it. The shaves just get closer and closer every day. :smile:

Heres a link to their 6/8 model which is a bit easier to use for a novice.
http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shaving/dovo-of-solingen/dovo-straight-razor-1885.php

and if you want a really beefy razor, 7/8", theres a nice one by Thiers Issard on the same website.
http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shaving/straight-razors/fxrcbc78.php

Ive rambled again havent I... sorry. :/
It sounds like what happened with me- impetigo. Except mine got really serious. Might be worth seeing the doctor.
JC.
As an aside... if you do ever get round to buying a propper razor, you should get one made by Dovo of germany. The BEST razors money can buy.
The cheapest one I could find looking quickly was this one...
http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shaving/dovo-of-solingen/dovo-straight-razor-4580.php
Now, its only a 5/8" blade so you may find it a little tricky to handle.
They do however, do a 6/8 version. However, the price goes up. Don't be conned into buying one with a fancy handle. Whilst it may look nice, its the blade that does the work! The same blade is fitted to an ebony handled model and a ivory handled model. You get exactly the same shave though.

You must take care to oil the blade. If you dont they will rust on the surface. My solingen razor hasnt been used since before christmas. Guess what... I didnt oil it properly. :frown:

The nice thing about them is they just get sharper and sharper when you first get it. The shaves just get closer and closer every day. :smile:

Heres a link to their 6/8 model which is a bit easier to use for a novice.
http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shaving/dovo-of-solingen/dovo-straight-razor-1885.php

and if you want a really beefy razor, 7/8", theres a nice one by Thiers Issard on the same website.
http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shaving/straight-razors/fxrcbc78.php

Ive rambled again havent I... sorry. :/

Thanks for all the information. I'm quite tempted by a straight edge razor, and I was just wondering whether there was a way to repair one with a rusted edge. My grandfather had one, and it hasn't been used in a while and consequently has rusted a little - is there any way to salvage this?

My 18th is coming up, so I'm quite tempted to just buy a new one. Have you got any preference on Carbon Steel / Stainless Steel blade?

Latest

Trending

Trending