The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lusus Naturae
Anyway, the entire universe could easily be infinite in time and space, just as easily as it could not. I do not see why you suggest that there has to be a beginning? There seems to be no reason why there should be. It will probably always be impossible for humans to know.

Thank you! You see? That's the type of opinions I wanted. Not all atheists agree with each other, I was just interested in the different opinions between atheists. Perhaps the universe is infinite in time, but I don't think so in space (since evidence from gamma rays may disprove this).

Science and atheist's views seems to be related. Since science will always be constantly changed and constantly questionable, it seems okay to question atheists on their differing views of the universe, and more specifically, where it came from.

(Bit in bold: I do not suggest this. Im just asking for your opinions on time.)

Lol, that truly is the scientific method- start with a conclusion and start to try and prove it whilst throwing in your own unfounded beliefs.

Actually, Faith in Chaos, whilst I do agree that Christians should take most the Bible literally, sometimes science does start with a conclusion. Sometimes we know something will happen, but the analysis will need to show WHY this has happened.
Reply 61
No, you start with OBSERVATIONS. Then you suggest how and why.
OK, OK, oberservations.
Which is not the same as reading an old book, deciding God exists (NO evidence) and then working backwards from there.
Reply 64
The_Myth Leader
Thank you! You see? That's the type of opinions I wanted. Not all atheists agree with each other, I was just interested in the different opinions between atheists.

One cannot know the answer to the question. I think that to ask for opinions on something that one cannot know is silly. You are just asking for "hunches" that are not based on anything.

Perhaps the universe is infinite in time, but I don't think so in space (since evidence from gamma rays may disprove this)

It is impossible to know the size of the entire universe because information cannot travel faster than light, and it is widely accepted that the universe is larger than the observable universe, therefore I do not see how gamma rays can disprove this.

I am interested to know why you said "but I don't think so in space." What do you base that comment on? How can you possibly have the foggiest idea whether it is infinite or not in space? Your "thoughts" might as well just be a throw of a dice.
Lusus Naturae

It is impossible to know the size of the entire universe because information cannot travel faster than light, and it is widely accepted that the universe is larger than the observable universe, therefore I do not see how gamma rays can disprove this.

I am interested to know why you said "but I don't think so in space." What do you base that comment on? How can you possibly have the foggiest idea whether it is infinite or not in space? Your "thoughts" might as well just be a throw of a dice.

Because of evidence. Look up Edwin Hubble, and more specifically, redshift. Whilst not providing conclusive proof (goes without saying since science uses the principle of induction) the redshift in gamma rays suggests that we may live in an expanding universe. Don't assume that because one method, such as the using light to get information, fails every method will fail, or else you wish to commit the fallacy of converse accident. (PS: I do believe the universe is much larger than the one we observe. Much evidence supports this.)
At what point did he deny that the univserse was expanding, or deny the use of redshift as being useful?
Faith In Chaos
At what point did he deny that the univserse was expanding, or deny the use of redshift as being useful?

Quote:"It is impossible to know the size of the entire universe because information cannot travel faster than light, and it is widely accepted that the universe is larger than the observable universe, therefore I do not see how gamma rays can disprove this.

I am interested to know why you said "but I don't think so in space." What do you base that comment on? How can you possibly have the foggiest idea whether it is infinite or not in space? Your "thoughts" might as well just be a throw of a dice."
Reply 68
And how exactly does the fact that the observable universe is expanding suggest that it had a beginning?
Lusus Naturae
And how exactly does the fact that the observable universe is expanding suggest that it had a beginning?

Read my answer in post 61 (I think it was that anyway). In the bit in brackets I say that I never suggested the universe had a beginning. I am somewhat puzzled as to what made you think this. However in answer to your question, some people may say that if the univese is expanding, there must have been a point at which everything was together - i.e. perhaps a 'beginning'. Of course you may wish to argue that this is part of a cycle that the universe goes through, a big bang and expansion, then a big crunch Due to calculations of the mass of the universe a big crunch does seem likely to most. Calculations also predict that there must be more mass in the universe - this is where the prediction of dark matter comes in - but that's another topic.
Reply 70
The_Myth Leader
Because of evidence. Look up Edwin Hubble, and more specifically, redshift. Whilst not providing conclusive proof (goes without saying since science uses the principle of induction) the redshift in gamma rays suggests that we may live in an expanding universe. Don't assume that because one method, such as the using light to get information, fails every method will fail, or else you wish to commit the fallacy of converse accident. (PS: I do believe the universe is much larger than the one we observe. Much evidence supports this.)

Let us read what I wrote:
Lusus Naturae

Do you understand now? Or do I need to spell it out to you?
Reply 71
The_Myth Leader
However in answer to your question, some people may say that if the univese is expanding, there must have been a point at which everything was together - i.e. perhaps a 'beginning'.
The observable universe is expanding; we know nothing of the Universe which we cannot observe.

Due to calculations of the mass of the universe a big crunch does seem likely to most.

Rubbish. If inflation is correct, the universe is very, very close to the "critical density." There is no way to accurately measure the density of the universe this accurately, as you cannot observe all of it, which is a point that I made many posts ago.
Lusus Naturae
The observable universe is expanding; we know nothing of the Universe which we cannot observe.

Which is why I say the evidence suggests. Using the principle of induction one can ASSUME that since the observable universe is expanding so may be the unobservable universe. Gamma rays thought to be from the Big Bang are evidence that perhaps our universe (which we know of) is expanding. If it is expanding, what is it expanding into? Perhaps the unobservable universe is expanding also, to compensate and solve this problem. However the assumption that out observable universe is expanding may lead people not to believe the universe is expanding. It is all about your beliefs, which is why I originally asked atheists for their different beliefs. Ofcourse we can't totally prove something, we can only use evidence, and people interpret evidence differently.

Lusus Naturae
Rubbish. If inflation is correct, the universe is very, very close to the "critical density." There is no way to accurately measure the density of the universe this accurately, as you cannot observe all of it, which is a point that I made many posts ago.

Like I have said, scientists use evidence to predict the figures for calculations (they've even predicted how many years will pass before it happens). It is all a matter of beliefs and 'faith' or trust in the evidence.

What I said was not rubbish, the pursuit of dark matter is very much an active investigation. Many scientists believe in the idea of the big crunch, most scientists believe the universe is expanding, even some believe that a God created everything. To dismiss these views as rubbish is quite simply foolish.

Besides the purpose of my initial comment was not to engage in a debate, I am merely looking for different atheist's views on my questions posed. If they do not feel they have sufficient evidence to make a statement on one question then just don't answer it. I was, particularily, quite interested in atheist's views on morality.
Reply 73
Which is why I say the evidence suggests. Using the principle of induction one can ASSUME that since the observable universe is expanding so may be the unobservable universe.

Faulty reasoning because of this: the observable universe could be a trillionth of the size of the entire universe. You are trying to induct the state of the entire universe from a trillionth of it? Are you saying that this is a suitable method?

One cannot know how big the entire universe is, because you cannot observe it!

Many scientists believe in the idea of the big crunch

Nope:
wikipedia
However, recent experimental evidence (namely the observation of distant supernova as standard candles, and the well-resolved mapping of the cosmic microwave background) has—to considerable surprise—shown that the expansion of the universe is not being slowed down by gravity, but instead, accelerating, suggesting that the universe will not end with a Big Crunch, but will instead expand forever, though some scientists have contested this theory.[1] (The evidence of an accelerating universe has been considered conclusive by most cosmologists since 2002.)

In the framework of the field equations of the General Theory of Relativity, the simplest model of an accelerating expansion corresponds to a positive value of the cosmological constant, which can be attributed to the quantum vacuum itself exerting a force that repels gravitationally on large scales. More generally, the accelerating expansion is attributed to dark energy, which could be the cosmological constant, or a dynamical field with negative "pressure", leading to an effective cosmological constant that could be time-varying. In such cases, it is theoretically possible that the cosmological "constant" need not remain positive, leaving open the possibility of a Big Crunch as the ultimate fate of the universe. A Big Crunch is also still theoretically possible if Einstein's theory of general relativity were found not to apply on large scales. The current evidence neither favors nor rules out dark energy, or modifications of general relativity, of a form that could halt or reverse an eternal expansion; it does, however set lower bounds on the duration collapse (approximately 42 billion years from now, or more than 24 billion years at the 95% confidence level, according to one group led by Andrei Linde).

Hardly sounds widely accepted to me.
And another quote:
Prof. John D. Barrow (cosmologist)
No foreseeable astronomical observations are going to be accurate enough to discover on which side (of the critical density) we lie
Lusus Naturae
Faulty reasoning because of this: the observable universe could be a trillionth of the size of the entire universe. You are trying to induct the state of the entire universe from a trillionth of it? Are you saying that this is a suitable method?

No, but it is evidence which atheists have used to state that the universe is exapnding. Indeed some scientists still do today. My problem is with atheists who claim to know everything about how the earth was formed, but ignore that their are many problems with what they suggest (the whole idea of mass and energy distriution for example.)

One cannot know how big the entire universe is, because you cannot observe it!

But the slightest piece of evidence may suggest you to look in the right direction.

Hardly sounds widely accepted to me.

The fact that it is an official theory, and that many scientists have accepted it suggests that it is more widely spread than many other theories.

Once again, I did not come to argue and do not claim to know everything about the universe. Indeed I am forgetting why I am even using evidence which goes against my own beliefs for a God. I am merely asking for different atheist views on these matters. So far I am getting only a very one sided view from your perspective. I am interested in what others have to say about their beliefs involving morality, the concept of time etc. etc.)
Reply 75
The_Myth Leader
No, but it is evidence which atheists have used to state that the universe is exapnding. Indeed some scientists still do today. My problem is with atheists who claim to know everything about how the earth was formed, but ignore that their are many problems with what they suggest (the whole idea of mass and energy distriution for example.)

You know there is a difference between an atheist and a scientist...
Psyk
You know there is a difference between an atheist and a scientist...

Yes. In fact I know a lot of devout Christian scientists. It just tends to be atheists who use science the most to back up their claims. [Generally...]
The_Myth Leader
The fact that it is an official theory

What rigorous criteria must a theory be judged by in order to gain the more impressive title- official theory?
Faith In Chaos
What rigorous criteria must a theory be judged by in order to gain the more impressive title- official theory?

It is a respected theory. Many scientists recognize it generally as an acceptable theory. I think just picking words out of my argument is just being pedantic though. If no one else apart from you is going to answer my questions then, you know what, it doesn't matter. I'm just presenting one view an atheist may take, just to start the discussion off, and also partly to compensate for a lack of other ideas. No other opinions on morality? Or the concept of time? Or how they think the Big Bang may have started? How tolerant are you towards the idea of a Creator starting off the Big Bang (the, in my opinion, bizarre nature of the universe, and gravity, and laws, allows for the bizzare idea of a supernatural force?). I thought such questions were appropiate for an 'ask an atheist thread.' It seems to have turned into an 'attack the believer who asks these questions' thread. My questions are not an attack on your beliefs, in fact, they probably attack mine more than yours. I am just genuinely interested in your views. But since my reception seems hostile, I doubt I can continue to post here.
Reply 79
The_Myth Leader
Yes. In fact I know a lot of devout Christian scientists. It just tends to be atheists who use science the most to back up their claims. [Generally...]

What do Christian scientists use to back up their claims if not science:confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending