The Student Room Group

What the hell do I take at uni?

I've just started the UCAS application process, for 2016 entry.
The only issue is, well, I have absolutely no idea what to take. I've never had guidance into what to take and its getting closer and closer to the point that my applications has be sent for checking internally. I know I want to take something science-based, but there's always been the extreme views about each subject, and its hard to tell how much of it is true.

Mentioning to people that I might take a biological sciences or psychology course usually ends up in them telling me that I'll never find a decent job. Suggesting medicine always gets the response of 'only take it if you're 100% sure that that's what you want to do' with minimal explanation of why. Chemistry seems to be the only course people seem happy with, but even then I have no idea what career I would go into, the same for any course other than medicine.

I'm seriously stuck with all of this, and it's stressful as I'm sure it is for everyone making these decisions. Can anyone studying any of these, any grads or just anyone who can explain things more clearly shed some light on this?
Original post by MCmnbvgyuio
I've just started the UCAS application process, for 2016 entry.
The only issue is, well, I have absolutely no idea what to take. I've never had guidance into what to take and its getting closer and closer to the point that my applications has be sent for checking internally. I know I want to take something science-based, but there's always been the extreme views about each subject, and its hard to tell how much of it is true.

Mentioning to people that I might take a biological sciences or psychology course usually ends up in them telling me that I'll never find a decent job. Suggesting medicine always gets the response of 'only take it if you're 100% sure that that's what you want to do' with minimal explanation of why. Chemistry seems to be the only course people seem happy with, but even then I have no idea what career I would go into, the same for any course other than medicine.

I'm seriously stuck with all of this, and it's stressful as I'm sure it is for everyone making these decisions. Can anyone studying any of these, any grads or just anyone who can explain things more clearly shed some light on this?

You've started the application process already? Geez, I've entered for 2015 and not even got there yet...aren't you jumping the gun? You'll get all sorts of help with the application process next year!
Reply 2
Original post by Clytaemnestra
You've started the application process already? Geez, I've entered for 2015 and not even got there yet...aren't you jumping the gun? You'll get all sorts of help with the application process next year!

Oh I wish I could. My sixth form is making us start now. Nothing major, just getting our heads around the process, but should I decide on taking medicine I'll have to have it all sent out for internal checking at the start of October. That gives me less than 4 months to decide my future really :confused:
Oh I wish I could. My sixth form is making us start now. Nothing major, just getting our heads around the process, but should I decide on taking medicine I'll have to have it all sent out for internal checking at the start of October. That gives me less than 4 months to decide my future really :confused:

Aww...good luck then! I got my application in around November time last year, and we got a good few months worth of discussion before hand, so try not to worry too much, focus on your AS exams and results first :smile:

Original post by Clytaemnestra
Aww...good luck then! I got my application in around November time last year, and we got a good few months worth of discussion before hand, so try not to worry too much, focus on your AS exams and results first :smile:

Our school did similar, my application was sent off on the 15th of September, honestly it is much better to get it done sooner.
Reply 5
I have nothing else to do for the year, other than A2 work, so I'm getting pretty stuck into it. I just really don't know what to take
Reply 6
This is a really stressful time but its important not to choose a subject just because you think you can get a good job with it. The subject you choose will be with you for three whole years (or more) and you're going to want to enjoy that time which will not happen if you chose a subject for the wrong reasons.
While looking forward to the future is important, you don't know if you'd enjoy a certain career now without experience but you probably do know which subject you like the most. A degree really wont limit you're options depending on your subject that much but will widen them no matter what so don't stress too much. 😊
Suggesting medicine always gets the response of 'only take it if you're 100% sure that that's what you want to do' with minimal explanation of why.

The main reason why people say this is that not only is it a long course with a lot of post-uni training, it's also incredibly competitive (but you'll most likely know this if you've researched it a lot), so there's no point in trying to put in a medicine application unless you're, well, sure.

Honestly, a decent science degree won't leave you jobless, so it's really about what kind of science you prefer. I wouldn't worry too much about job prospects after uni, focus on what you think you might enjoy studying.

If you're really still not sure, you can always apply post-A2's if you don't mind a gap year and would rather put off the stress for now.
Reply 8
I've also started my application process. sadly my college wants us to finish everything in our application as a first draft by mid July. It's a bit harsh I think as I too am undecided about placement and course fo uni.

I'm thinking of doing Psychology too... or Geography?
Both require AAB at Manchester for me
Reply 9
Original post by TimmyR
I've also started my application process. sadly my college wants us to finish everything in our application as a first draft by mid July. It's a bit harsh I think as I too am undecided about placement and course fo uni.

I'm thinking of doing Psychology too... or Geography?
Both require AAB at Manchester for me

That does seem harsh, but you'll probably be able to change it when you go back in September, they can't expect you to apply without knowing your AS results or A level predicted grades.
Would you be looking at a career in the psychology sector? I don't really know whats around other than the really competitive careers that everyone is interested in like criminal profiling.

Original post by loperdoper
The main reason why people say this is that not only is it a long course with a lot of post-uni training, it's also incredibly competitive (but you'll most likely know this if you've researched it a lot), so there's no point in trying to put in a medicine application unless you're, well, sure.

Honestly, a decent science degree won't leave you jobless, so it's really about what kind of science you prefer. I wouldn't worry too much about job prospects after uni, focus on what you think you might enjoy studying.

If you're really still not sure, you can always apply post-A2's if you don't mind a gap year and would rather put off the stress for now.

This was really helpful, thank you. Everyone makes it out to be as though you should be living and breathing medicine before you apply or its not going to be manageable.

To add to the above, the other thing with medicine is you already need to have a good grounding in work experience. If you haven't already got some then your chances of getting even interviews become very slim.

Prospects for chemistry are okay. Plenty of things you can do in the chemical industry, and it's a perfectly good degree for moving into other sectors like accountancy and finance. Plenty of options in teaching, and most grad schemes for anything like HR, supply chain etc. don't require specific degrees. If you stick in the industry there's a wide range of areas you can be in if you want to stay in the lab from type of role (pure research, development work, analytical, customer-focused technical service, technical sales, process chemistry and scale up) to the area of interest (polymers and materials, synthetic organic, catalysis, etc.)

Biology and biological sciences are good degree courses although currently the market is a bit saturated and not enough jobs in the field. Fine if you know you don't want a lab-based job, but at this point i'd be wary of making that decision.

Whatever one you pick if there's a year in industry option: do it. I did it and i've had zero issues getting a job. Where I did my year out were willing to give me a job, and I had two other offers on the table. Having the experience there makes a huge difference when you're graduating.

What do you like to do, what type of person are you? Chemistry can be fairly intense, but if you like the subject and you enjoy problem-solving then it's a great course. The best part is the lab training as you can't get that outside of university, and it's a technical skill. Probably one of the best degrees for value for money. You can later go into research which is more interdisciplinary so if you're interested in biology then you may end up working in biological molecules for instance.

If you can right now i'd just hop along to any university open days. Drop into a couple of departments if you need to as it will give you a better idea of what the courses entail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending