The Student Room Group

Gender of surnames

I was watching the women's football world cup last night and saw that some ladies have a surname which you would typically say is a male name. For example: Alex Scott, Fara Williams and there was another team which had a lady player with the surname James. There are probably many other examples but I never really thought about this before!

I know that in Greece, Poland, Czech Republic and some parts of Russia, people have a male and female form of a surname. So, if a man had the surname Novak, then his wife and his unmarried daughters would have the surname Novakova, the "ova" signifying the female version of the surname Novak.

So, I was thinking if you're a woman and have a "male" surname, would/does it bother you or not? Equally, if you're a man and have a "female" surname, would/does it bother you or not? Examples would be the surnames Kacey, Tracey or Shirley.
Original post by superduper9
I was watching the women's football world cup last night and saw that some ladies have a surname which you would typically say is a male name. For example: Alex Scott, Fara Williams and there was another team which had a lady player with the surname James. There are probably many other examples but I never really thought about this before!

I know that in Greece, Poland, Czech Republic and some parts of Russia, people have a male and female form of a surname. So, if a man had the surname Novak, then his wife and his unmarried daughters would have the surname Novakova, the "ova" signifying the female version of the surname Novak.

So, I was thinking if you're a woman and have a "male" surname, would/does it bother you or not? Equally, if you're a man and have a "female" surname, would/does it bother you or not? Examples would be the surnames Kacey, Tracey or Shirley.

Nah, I don't think I'd mind much. Depends on the actual name really, some sound nicer in general :tongue:
Reply 2

I wouldn't really care tbh. Haven't seen people actually make meal of male with female surnames or vice versa.
I don't even care about my last name so no it's irrelevant
My surnames kind of sound male but it's unique and my choice so I like it
Reply 5
Some of them come from 'son of', which is amusing. My last name is williams, which comes from williamson, 'son of william'. Idk who william was, but I'm not his son :tongue:I've never really considered the gendering of it before, but I don't really like it. It's not very interesting. I'd rather have a name after a profession than some random welsh dude.
Alex Scott, Fara Williams

https://www.facebook.com/ophelia.johnson.7773
Reply 7
My surname is an occupational one but if I had a "male" one I doubt I'd be bothered. None of my friends with "male" surnames seem to be bothered by them anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending