The Student Room Group

Summer 2016 Applications

Well someone had to make the thread at some point, since we're all thinking about it and don't have anything else to do for the rest of the summer.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
True. Didn't get into any SW's this year. Really worried about my prospects next year :frown:.
sad, i wanted to be the one to start it :cry2:

Original post by joyous109
True. Didn't get into any SW's this year. Really worried about my prospects next year :frown:.

all is not lost, there are more summer spots than spring week spots, so there's every chance :smile:
Reply 3
Yeah, didn't get anything either. Doesn't mean it's not doable, leave it behind you and be ready when applications start. If you're posting here you're already better off than most people applying...
Reply 4
While most people I know who had/have summer internships did absolutely nothing prior to it in the industry and so SWs are definitely not a pre-requisite, you do want to address why you didn't land a SW. Obviously if an IB didn't bother with an application for a 3-5 day stint, they're certainly not going to bother with the same application for 10-paid weeks. You learn a lot by doing applications (the difference in standard in my CV/cover letter/application between my first application and my last is staggering) so providing you've learnt from SW applications you should be able to hit the ground running with summer and maximise your chances of landing something.
oh shet, i wanted to start this as well lol. ill be applying to 10 or so IBs, main focus is on MC.
Reply 6
Original post by welcometoib
oh shet, i wanted to start this as well lol. ill be applying to 10 or so IBs, main focus is on MC.

you picked a wrong screen name for the TSR then :smile:
Original post by spoli21
you picked a wrong screen name for the TSR then :smile:

haha hey buddy, well its been a bit documented in the sw thread but when i made this account i loved ib, through the sw process and then actually understanding what ibd really entailed, and finding out the awesome world of consulting, my opinion altered a lot :smile: i remember your name on the summer thread i think? gl with your summer buddy :smile:

edit, loved the "idea" of
Reply 8
hey, im just off a 2:1 but my last set of exams i averaged at a 2:1, going into my third out of fourth year studying maths. Is there any possibility of me getting any sort of internship/ experience?

thanks
Reply 9
Cheers for the motivation guys. :biggrin:..True all is not lost. Although I only applied for just 2 SW's since I started real late, I hope I do get something for the summer next year. Anyways Cheers lad for this thread. I am sure a lot of our confusions, queries etc will be answered over this summer.
Genuinely dropped out of 1st year to take a year out and (hopefully / realistically probably ) get into a target uni. Roll on 2017! haha
Original post by Onlyheretoask
Genuinely dropped out of 1st year to take a year out and (hopefully / realistically probably ) get into a target uni. Roll on 2017! haha

where are you studying now?
Original post by Noble.
While most people I know who had/have summer internships did absolutely nothing prior to it in the industry and so SWs are definitely not a pre-requisite, you do want to address why you didn't land a SW. Obviously if an IB didn't bother with an application for a 3-5 day stint, they're certainly not going to bother with the same application for 10-paid weeks. You learn a lot by doing applications (the difference in standard in my CV/cover letter/application between my first application and my last is staggering) so providing you've learnt from SW applications you should be able to hit the ground running with summer and maximise your chances of landing something.

Fair point. Already done. Where did you do your spring week? I'm taking any advice you have.
Reply 13
Original post by StoicBanker
Fair point. Already done. Where did you do your spring week? I'm taking any advice you have.

I didn't do a spring week.
Original post by Noble.
I didn't do a spring

Why?
Reply 15
Original post by StoicBanker
Why?

Never applied. Just didn't see the point in spending only 3-5 days in an investment bank doing nothing relevant. Although I wish I had applied just for the experience of applying.
Original post by Noble.
Never applied. Just didn't see the point in spending only 3-5 days in an investment bank doing nothing relevant. Although I wish I had applied just for the experience of applying.

Yeah. Relevance: convert.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Ah, this is keen.
Original post by 31541
Ah, this is keen.

I'll take a job.
Reply 19
Are people actually starting to work on applications...?

Quick Reply

Latest