The Student Room Group

Guidance and help

I am currently a first year going into my second year this september studying zoology at university.
I have always deep down wanted to work with animals and in particular be a vet. However, at school during gcses and a levels, I was in a difficult time where the possibility of doing veterinary became ever so less likely.
I ended up studying art biology and maths and resulted in A*, B, C for my grades. (I underperformed big time and know I am capable of getting much higher in the sciences - due to circumstances).

I thought I had finally figured out zoology was going to get me to where I wanted to be, but realised I want to help, not just study animals. Now I'm beginning to consider veterinary medicine again. I know veterinary is a very competitive and its intimidating that I have left it so late to consider the pathway. However, I feel I am and would be committed enough to study veterinary if the opportunity arose and this is where I need help.
To be able to study veterinary do I need to resit my a levels, study chemistry?
I know I need work experience big time, but before I start, I was wondering if it is even viable for me!
I have been looking of doing vet med abroad at places like UVM Kosice too as the competition seems less intense and more achievable compared to the UK vet schools of gaining a place, however I was just wondering if anyone could give me guidance/advice as this is going to be most likely the biggest change in my life!

My plan is to definitely finish my degree course at uni as it wouldnt be worth leaving now, but then would vet be worth to pursue by the time I am 21?

thanks for you time guys!
Original post by cutler27
I am currently a first year going into my second year this september studying zoology at university.
I have always deep down wanted to work with animals and in particular be a vet. However, at school during gcses and a levels, I was in a difficult time where the possibility of doing veterinary became ever so less likely.
I ended up studying art biology and maths and resulted in A*, B, C for my grades. (I underperformed big time and know I am capable of getting much higher in the sciences - due to circumstances).

I thought I had finally figured out zoology was going to get me to where I wanted to be, but realised I want to help, not just study animals. Now I'm beginning to consider veterinary medicine again. I know veterinary is a very competitive and its intimidating that I have left it so late to consider the pathway. However, I feel I am and would be committed enough to study veterinary if the opportunity arose and this is where I need help.
I know I need work experience big time, but before I start, I was wondering if it is even viable for me!
I have been looking of doing vet med abroad at places like UVM Kosice too as the competition seems less intense and more achievable compared to the UK vet schools of gaining a place, however I was just wondering if anyone could give me guidance/advice as this is going to be most likely the biggest change in my life!

My plan is to definitely finish my degree course at uni as it wouldnt be worth leaving now, but then would vet be worth to pursue by the time I am 21?

Have you looked or inquired into the entry requirements for post grad vet med? I would do so first of all, especially that not all accept resits. Also, can you 'prove' your circumstances for underperforming? If so, they might be more lenient for you in terms of grades and allowing you to resit years.

Have you considered finances? You won't get a tuition fee loan for your 2nd degree and no funding from Student Finance if you go abroad.

Have a look at the website in my signature - there are a few profiles of people doing the grad route and how they got there (in the UK and at UVM).

If vet med is what you really want to do then it won't matter if you start studying at 21 or even older. You will still have a long working career and a lot of students in my year are older (e.g. taken multiple gap years), or have previous degrees. The oldest student at my vet school is 50-odd!! So it's never too late if that is what you want to do.

The fact that you have not done work exp is a bit worrying. I'd do some to see if vet med is what you really want to do - a lot of people have rose tinted views of what the job entails. Remember that there are other profession where you can help animals too.

Good luck. Hopefully some post grads will be on here to advise you more than I can :smile:
Original post by cutler27

As you've been advised above, you need to do some work experience first to see if this is the right choice for you as a lot of people do work experience and realise its not for them.
You will need to finish your zoology degree, and get a 2:1 or above in order to be offered a place at any of the universities, although I do think your A levels will still be an issue even with a degree, but if you can 'prove' your circumstances then it will make a difference when universities look at your application. For Liverpool you need your 2:1 in your degree and at least a C in A level chemistry (I'm trying to remember this off the top of my head as I do have a application sheet but its downstairs ha)
If you are going to go down the grad route, you need to make sure you are able to fund the whole course yourself or have some means of funding it as student finance will only give you a maintenance loan, which isnt anywhere near enough to cover the current £9000 a year fees.
I did a degree before coming to Liverpool to do vet science, and I was 24 when I started in september. There are lots of graduate students and there are lots of students over the age of 21, so age is not an issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending