The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The-Illusionist
Deciding between trading and ibd. More inclined towards (rates) trading atm. Do you personally trade? What's your background by the way?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can imagine the top story will be interesting to you: http://blogs.deloitte.co.uk/mondaybriefing/
Original post by Joseph.S
I can imagine the top story will be interesting to you: http://blogs.deloitte.co.uk/mondaybriefing/

Yepp I've been keeping up with the expected rates hike. How about yourself? Are you interested in monetary policy and its impact on markets?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The-Illusionist
Yepp I've been keeping up with the expected rates hike. How about yourself? Are you interested in monetary policy and its impact on markets?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, not as such. I want to go into trading S&T or M&A so I try to keep on top of everything. Like news so I can have intelligent conversation and build an opinion when I do eventually start or during SW. I will be trying Virtual trading too so maybe.

I would love to hear about your views on the markets ref: Monetary policy.
Good luck to everyone at the J.P. Morgan insight day tomorrow, hope you have an informative day ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can we apply to only one division in a single bank or can apply to IBD, S&T and others for example.
Original post by makrxx
Can we apply to only one division in a single bank or can apply to IBD, S&T and others for example.

only one division per bank
Original post by gr8wizard10
only one division per bank

not true, some ibs such as cs and gs let you do more
When is the best time to apply ? I saw someone saying that HR don't check the application before they finish with the summer interns one?
Doesnt really matter too much but you don't want to be leaving it late. Show some urgency.
Can anyone recommend any good books, resources and websites that you may consider useful to help grasp a greater insight into investment banking to prepare for applying to spring insight weeks?
Anyone know of anyone as a Technology Analyst?
Original post by jamessmith1996
Can anyone recommend any good books, resources and websites that you may consider useful to help grasp a greater insight into investment banking to prepare for applying to spring insight weeks?

Financial times publish a really useful book series on IB and the field in general. Investing by Glen Arnold was one of the first i read, its gives you a wide insight into the field and will greatly increase your gen knowledge on IB.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mergersandinquisitions is good.
Efinancialcareers do some decent articles
Wallstreetoasis

Most of these websites and similar ones have reading lists. Also check out the intro to IBD thread, it's stickied and helpful.

Get the vault guide for investment banking uk edition + read over sites like: thegateway, targetcareers, insidecareers etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,
So basically, I study Engineering. I just finished my first year and thought it was about time to really start to build up a background in order to end up in Finance. Engineering being a completely different field from what I really want to do, I planned on not doing anything this summer except studying everything needed to start applying for internships next year (Which I regret now since apparently the younger you show your interest in Finance, the better it is). I've been following some free courses on the internet which are about learning financial accounting and some financial modeling.I also joined some finance-related societies during my first year. Which brings me to ask the forum what can I study/learn/do before going back to uni which would help me improve my profile for my future applications? And btw I don't have any experience on the field so I'm willing to try and give a shot to whatever you think would improve my application profile!
Original post by Snake113
Hey guys,
So basically, I study Engineering. I just finished my first year and thought it was about time to really start to build up a background in order to end up in Finance. Engineering being a completely different field from what I really want to do, I planned on not doing anything this summer except studying everything needed to start applying for internships next year (Which I regret now since apparently the younger you show your interest in Finance, the better it is). I've been following some free courses on the internet which are about learning financial accounting and some financial modeling.I also joined some finance-related societies during my first year. Which brings me to ask the forum what can I study/learn/do before going back to uni which would help me improve my profile for my future applications? And btw I don't have any experience on the field so I'm willing to try and give a shot to whatever you think would improve my application profile!

Network with alumni and people in industry. LinkedIn is a solid starting point.
Hi guys, this is off topic, but will there be a Summer Internship 2016 thread created or do they only create these threads for Spring Weeks? Thanks.
Original post by BOGH
Hi guys, this is off topic, but will there be a Summer Internship 2016 thread created or do they only create these threads for Spring Weeks? Thanks.

this is the summer thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3404105

On fire as usual! It was good to see you the other day, good luck with the rest of your internship :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cookie_m14
On fire as usual! It was good to see you the other day, good luck with the rest of your internship :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you, likewise ^^

Latest

Trending

Trending