The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Everyone says the best time to apply is when you are best prepared (e.g. Nov period) - but since banks review applications on a rolling basis, isn't it advantageous to apply earlier in the year? (I was planning on applying when they first come out in August/ September considering that you are not likely to do anything significant to enhance your CV in 1 or 2 months)

Is this the right logic? Or am I missing something? How important is prior finance experience for SWs? (Finance opportunities for pre-undergrads are very limited where I live unlike in the UK)
Reply 21
Original post by gr8wizard10
you started the summer 2016 one :colonhash:

do you know any good books to help with numerical tests?
Original post by e^x

Don't use books. Use practice tests. JobTestPrep do excellent ones
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Yeah, didn't end up enjoying econ as a degree. Took a year out to do other things and now headed to do History

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why didn't you enjoy economics? I am heading to university this year to study it so I am curious to know
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by e^x

you can buy online packs, banks use these platforms: SHL, Kenexa, TalentQ
Original post by dente
Everyone says the best time to apply is when you are best prepared (e.g. Nov period) - but since banks review applications on a rolling basis, isn't it advantageous to apply earlier in the year? (I was planning on applying when they first come out in August/ September considering that you are not likely to do anything significant to enhance your CV in 1 or 2 months)

Is this the right logic? Or am I missing something? How important is prior finance experience for SWs? (Finance opportunities for pre-undergrads are very limited where I live unlike in the UK)

banks sort out summer applicants first, they generally won't look at springs until november+

prior experience is definitely advantageous but not essential, as it shows good motivation. that being said, it's not a necessity.
Original post by Breakingbank
Why didn't you enjoy economics? I am heading to university this year to study it so I am curious to know

Personal preference. I enjoy essays, research, lots of reading, but I found econ was heavily mathematical. Just not to my taste
Reply 27
Personal preference. I enjoy essays, research, lots of reading, but I found econ was heavily mathematical. Just not to my taste

Which uni did you go to read economics?

Couldn't you have switched to a BA?
Original post by Swaany

UCL
Original post by Swaany

lmao, posh much?
Original post by Breakingbank
Couldn't you have switched to a BA?

Yes, but I needed some time to re-evaluate so I took a year out. Doing a BA in HIstory in Oct
lmao, posh much?

It's just the standard way of referring to a degree

i agree, tbh, most of the quantitative side of economics is a whole lot of uselessness.
i agree, tbh, most of the quantitative side of economics is a whole lot of uselessness.

I imagine they're a lot more useful and applicable to people going into Masters/PhD study. I could only stand so many derivatives before wanting to nod off haha. I prefer real, tangible things
Reply 35

Lol, agreed

i know, i just still find it funny when ppl say 'read' as oppose to 'study'
Reply 37
Do you guys recommend buying only the numerical test? or should i buy the one that includes numerical, verbal and logical tests??
Original post by Bobubnuz
Do you guys recommend buying only the numerical test? or should i buy the one that includes numerical, verbal and logical tests??

whatever you feel you need. i found verbals the hardest personally. you get a discount using the link on the canarywharfian sites thread on practice tests in the original post.
Reply 39
whatever you feel you need. i found verbals the hardest personally. you get a discount using the link on the canarywharfian sites thread on practice tests in the original post.

I see. But is it true that most banks only have numerical and verbal tests and rarely any logical tests.

Latest

Trending

Trending