The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bobubnuz
I see. But is it true that most banks only have numerical and verbal tests and rarely any logical tests.

it varies, most banks have numericals, I think logicals are more common than verbals
Reply 41
What opportunities are there for pre-undergrads to get some experience prior to applying for an internship in their first year of uni? I am currently a school leaver headed into the first year of my Econ degree and have no work experience related to finance.

I haven't been able to find anything myself, there was an insight day that I missed the closing date for and JP Morgan have discontinued one of their other school leaver programmes. Any suggestions?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by samraf
What opportunities are there for pre-undergrads to get some experience prior to applying for an internship in their first year of uni? I am currently a school leaver headed into the first year of my Econ degree and have no work experience related to finance.

I haven't been able to find anything myself, there was an insight day that I missed the closing date for and JP Morgan have discontinued one of their other school leaver programmes. Any suggestions?

You've pretty much missed the boat for everything I'm afraid. Just enjoy your summer before uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by Princepieman
You've pretty much missed the boat for everything I'm afraid. Just enjoy your summer before uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just so I'm aware, what exactly have I missed out on and how important are they?

I am able to get some work experience at an accountancy firm of my dad's friend so that I don't apply at the end of this year with no experience at all. I have also managed to find a career insight event by RBS.

Thanks!
Original post by samraf
Just so I'm aware, what exactly have I missed out on and how important are they?

I am able to get some work experience at an accountancy firm of my dad's friend so that I don't apply at the end of this year with no experience at all. I have also managed to find a career insight event by RBS.

Thanks!

Mostly insight days, gap year schemes and the 'steps to success' programme for disadvantaged students.

It doesn't matter too much - I'm in the same boat - but any experience is obviously a plus. I imagine the majority of people won't have extensive internships on their CVs when applying for Spring Weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samraf

Thanks!

do the accountancy experience and try and get on the rbs insight programme.
Original post by dente
Thanks man, it was about time. Any specific tips for preparing for 2016 Spring Weeks from people who have gone through the process before? Have you noticed there being a hindrance to hiring international students for their internships and spring weeks?

On my SWs most were from the UK but there were lots of international students, although most were from Europe.

- Practise the online tests. The questions are really simple and easy, just time pressured so being familiar with the style of questions (quite repetitive) helps. I used Google to find free example questions and I was fine.

- (I found the hardest) Asking yourself what you actually like, "Banking" has many different areas and career paths, which one is right for you? Although it's early days having a rough idea helps.

- Research both the company and the division. Values, share price, USP, recent developments, etc

- Follow the news: Greece, Yellen (rate rise), what oil/gold/FTSE/DJIA etc are doing.

- Basic knowledge. (There are many acronyms!). This is a gradual process starting from basics like Supply & demand, how interest works, what are the different divisions and what do they do (DCM, ECM, S&T, M&A etc) to an appreciation of DCF, LBO etc. How far you want to go is up to you, but you want to start building up an awareness and an understanding of what is going on.
I found investopedia very useful and for people with no experience Jake's CityCareer Series IB Handbook.

- (Long way off) For interviews have examples ready where you have demonstrated various skills and answers for why X division and why ABC bank etc. But to do this you need examples to give and have done your research.

- CV 1 page long in the correct format and layout. Cover Letter same. The Mergersandinquisitions website has a pretty good article on this as well as others on the different divisions etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by Cookie_m14
On my SWs most were from the UK but there were lots of international students, although most were from Europe.

- Practise the online tests. The questions are really simple and easy, just time pressured so being familiar with the style of questions (quite repetitive) helps. I used Google to find free example questions and I was fine.

- (I found the hardest) Asking yourself what you actually like, "Banking" has many different areas and career paths, which one is right for you? Although it's early days having a rough idea helps.

- Research both the company and the division. Values, share price, USP, recent developments, etc

- Follow the news: Greece, Yellen (rate rise), what oil/gold/FTSE/DJIA etc are doing.

- Basic knowledge. (There are many acronyms!). This is a gradual process starting from basics like Supply & demand, how interest works, what are the different divisions and what do they do (DCM, ECM, S&T, M&A etc) to an appreciation of DCF, LBO etc. How far you want to go is up to you, but you want to start building up an awareness and an understanding of what is going on.
I found investopedia very useful and for people with no experience Jake's CityCareer Series IB Handbook.

- (Long way off) For interviews have examples ready where you have demonstrated various skills and answers for why X division and why ABC bank etc. But to do this you need examples to give and have done your research.

- CV 1 page long in the correct format and layout. Cover Letter same. The Mergersandinquisitions website has a pretty good article on this as well as others on the different divisions etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I'm an international student from Singapore - do you have any idea if non-EU internationals have a harder time getting SWs and summer internships in general? Anecdotal evidence is fine. I'm hoping to break into IB with a LSE degree so securing a well-paying job is crucial in order to make the LSE fees worth it over a local university.
Original post by dente
Thanks! I'm an international student from Singapore - do you have any idea if non-EU internationals have a harder time getting SWs and summer internships in general? Anecdotal evidence is fine. I'm hoping to break into IB with a LSE degree so securing a well-paying job is crucial in order to make the LSE fees worth it over a local university.

Sorry my bad, I should have worded it better! (had 3% battery so was rushing haha). I meant that most students were from UK universities and there were a few from European universities. What country you're from is irrelevant so it's nothing to worry about if you're at a LSE, which is a decent university and will set you in good stead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
show me the money:biggrin:
Original post by samraf

I think HSBC are still open for applications for the insight day. I could be wrong so don't get your hopes up.

https://www.globalbusinesses.gtios.com/Vacancy/Search/PreLogonSearchPostedResults.asp
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by iAmanze
I think HSBC are still open for applications for the insight day. I could be wrong so don't get your hopes up.

https://www.globalbusinesses.gtios.com/Vacancy/Search/PreLogonSearchPostedResults.asp

Cheers for the heads up buddy! Just applied.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Anybody know when the insight days will open up for sixth form students

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Mostly insight days, gap year schemes and the 'steps to success' programme for disadvantaged students.

It doesn't matter too much - I'm in the same boat - but any experience is obviously a plus. I imagine the majority of people won't have extensive internships on their CVs when applying for Spring Weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You would be very surprised at the strength of the candidates.
Original post by MaGeehkaal
You would be very surprised at the strength of the candidates.

was talking to couple lads on one sw, and bro these guys were legit. starting their own profitable businesses, some tech start-ups etc..

made me feel insignifcant. them ones where you get questioned like "what's the most interesting thing about you" and you're like i got the new nike airforces and made it out the hood and the other guys be talking how they started businesses from scratch

next year might be a big4 application ting.. can't compete
Original post by gr8wizard10
was talking to couple lads on one sw, and bro these guys were legit. starting their own profitable businesses, some tech start-ups etc..

made me feel insignifcant. them ones where you get questioned like "what's the most interesting thing about you" and you're like i got the new nike airforces and made it out the hood and the other guys be talking how they started businesses from scratch

next year might be a big4 application ting.. can't compete

Yeah the calibre is high but it was always expected and Big4 auditing is dry
Hey guys I will hopefully be starting at Bristol this year doing a BSc Economics joint degree. Any tips for me getting into IB? What extra stuff can I do while at uni to help with my applications?
Reply 57
Hey guys

Stupid question perhaps, but how exactly do you network? Just getting their names and having a good chat? Or do people try and get their emails and LinkedIn profiles?:') Just new to this is all!
Original post by apettah
Hey guys

Stupid question perhaps, but how exactly do you network? Just getting their names and having a good chat? Or do people try and get their emails and LinkedIn profiles?:':wink: Just new to this is all!

get emails and li's of ppl you actually want to keep in touch with for advice or potential reference, utilise their expertise or position later on
Networking to me sounds like:

- Get them to like you
- Get them to do things for you. (advice, internships etc)

Latest

Trending

Trending