The Student Room Group

Ask a Mathematics interviewer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
Well approx 10-12% get S in STEP III. I think it would be fair to expect roughly half of them to also get S in STEP II. So 5% of those that take STEP III... assuming 700 take STEP III that's 35ish people getting S,S.

Ooh. I know 1. He was on of the highest scorers last year :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Original post by Necrofantasia
@Everyone thinking about taking STEP 1 early, I'd say go for it. It's certainly not a requirement for getting in, but I can think of many good reasons to take it early.

1. No risk and good reward. Cambridge admissions tutors have explicitly said they would not mind if you have taken it early and received a poor grade, it would not hurt your chances of an offer at all! But if you have taken it early and got a 1 or better, it would look really good on your application.
2. The extra practice you get from STEP makes you a much better mathematician and will probably vastly improve your performance at interview, improving your chances of an offer.
The earlier you start practicing and getting used to difficult problems, the better.
3. Knowing what sitting the paper is like really helps. When you come around to doing STEP II and STEP III next year if you do get your offer, you will be much more calm and relaxed since you already know what the sitting the paper is like. (And you will be much more confident if you get a 1 or better)
4. While people are concerned about STEP practice compromising AS UMS, this might not be the case since doing STEP papers turns A level papers into a joke that you can just waltz through easily.

Thanks for tagging me, some great info. My situation is such that I will start college in September with A Level Maths finished (full UMS in AS so far) so imagine that STEP I would be accessible to me. Would you not advise I also take STEP II in Yr12 with STEP I given that, as far as the STEP syllabus is concerned, I would have covered enough maths to have a feasible go at the paper (doing AS F and Add. F Maths in yr12)? I am almost certain on doing STEP I, but am unsure about STEP II as STEP II is included in the standard offer. Feel free to PM me, I would hate to hijack this thread!! :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by physicsmaths
Ooh. I know 1. He was on of the highest scorers last year :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually 35 sounds a bit low, but it would be somewhere between 35 and, maybe, 50.

What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Actually 35 sounds a bit low, but it would be somewhere between 35 and, maybe, 50.

What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I imagine a couple per college. Like at fitzwilliam there are 2/3 out of 6.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill

What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I reckon the 40s to 50 is a good bet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Necrofantasia
@Everyone thinking about taking STEP 1 early, I'd say go for it. It's certainly not a requirement for getting in, but I can think of many good reasons to take it early.

1. No risk and good reward. Cambridge admissions tutors have explicitly said they would not mind if you have taken it early and received a poor grade, it would not hurt your chances of an offer at all! But if you have taken it early and got a 1 or better, it would look really good on your application.
2. The extra practice you get from STEP makes you a much better mathematician and will probably vastly improve your performance at interview, improving your chances of an offer.
The earlier you start practicing and getting used to difficult problems, the better.
3. Knowing what sitting the paper is like really helps. When you come around to doing STEP II and STEP III next year if you do get your offer, you will be much more calm and relaxed since you already know what the sitting the paper is like. (And you will be much more confident if you get a 1 or better)
4. While people are concerned about STEP practice compromising AS UMS, this might not be the case since doing STEP papers turns A level papers into a joke that you can just waltz through easily.

Point 4 is quite important and deserves a bit more thought than this. Your A levels should take priority over STEP and we would want our applicants on track to achieve A*A*A in the exams they sit in Year 13. Whilst there's no expectation to sit STEP early and lower STEP results won't count against you, lower AS results will.

I'd agree with points 2 and 3 - the best preparation for a maths application is to do as much hard maths as possible but bear in mind there are lots of other ways to do this apart from step.
Original post by Gilo98
Thank you for your reply - it is nice to here things from the perspective of an admission tutor, rather than the hunches of other users :h:
I understand what you say about declaring results, and would personally never 'hide' results, but out of interest, how might a college go about finding out ones STEP result if they had taken I and II pre-application and not declared them, presumably they expect applicants as you say to not have sat STEP before the application process?
Edit: just realised I misread your reply, edited my response accordingly. Thank you for your help!!

Your teachers might mention it in their reference? You might mention it at interview? It's just not something to consider - if we do make an applicant a conditional offer, that is only binding provided the information submitted on the UCAS form and SAQ is correct. If anything substantial changes or is found to be inaccurate, the College could possible rescind the offer.
Original post by flibber
Thanks for your response!

Does Cambridge look carefully at what type of modules somebody takes- for example, is more attention given to the results of

a) Mechanics modules for Engineering
b) Statistics modules for Economics
c) Decision modules (if taken) for Computer Science?

We do look at the modules taken in this way, especially if candidates are unable to take further maths (we recommend that such candidates try to take as many relevant modules as possible even if they don't add up to a full AS or A level). Pure modules are also very important for Economics and Computer Science.
Reply 88
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Your teachers might mention it in their reference? You might mention it at interview? It's just not something to consider - if we do make an applicant a conditional offer, that is only binding provided the information submitted on the UCAS form and SAQ is correct. If anything substantial changes or is found to be inaccurate, the College could possible rescind the offer.

Got it, thanks for you help!!
Reply 89
I read earlier that you also interview engineering applicants. Can I sneak in a few questions about engineering interviews?
Am I correct in saying that most engineering interviews are maths based?

I would consider myself a very strong mathematician and I am on track to get 3 A*s in maths, f.maths and physics at A2 level with 95+ UMS average. (I will be a gap year applicant doing a year in industry)
However, under high pressure (such as a Cambridge interview) I may find simple arithmetic a challenge. Give me a hard second order differential equation and I'll be happy to do it in no time, but for some reason simple arithmetic stumps me under high pressure.
I'm sure I would be fine if given chance to work through the questions in a room on my own first then through them with the interviewer afterwards, however if put in a situation where I have to answer an arithmetic question face to face with an interviewer, my mind would draw a blank.
Can you see this being a big problem?
Also would it be wise to apply to a college whose interview style would suit me best?
For example I have found that Peterhouse's interview consists of 'Questions to look at before one interview and 60 mins multiple choice Pure & Applied Maths test' whereas several colleges do not test at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Oraeng
I read earlier that you also interview engineering applicants. Can I sneak in a few questions about engineering interviews?

I would consider myself a very strong mathematician and I am on track to get 3 A*s in maths, f.maths and physics at A2 level with 95+ UMS average. (I will be a gap year applicant doing a year in industry)
However, under high pressure (such as a Cambridge interview) I may find simple arithmetic a challenge. Give me a hard second order differential equation and I'll be happy to do it in no time, but for some reason simple arithmetic stumps me under high pressure.
I'm sure I would be fine if given chance to work through the questions in a room on my own first then through them with the interviewer afterwards, however if put in a situation where I have to answer an arithmetic question face to face with an interviewer, my mind would draw a blank.
Also would it be wise to apply to a college whose interview style would suit me best?
For example I have found that Peterhouse's interview consists of 'Questions to look at before one interview and 60 mins multiple choice Pure & Applied Maths test' whereas several colleges do not test at all.

Hi, happy to help with an engineering question or two!

Firstly the interview is just another piece of information about your potential and doesn't carry any specific weight. It is no more, and no less, important than any other piece of information (personal statement, test results, teacher reference etc.). I understand interviews are stressful and really try to make them as friendly as possible so that we get the chance to see your true potential.

The aim of the interviews is to see how you'd get on with the Cambridge supervision system and how you can work with the interviewers towards the right answer by applying what you already know in a logical way. It is not an on-the-spot test of how much you know.

We ask our applicants in Engineering to look at problem sheet for about 45 minutes immediately before one of their interviews. You have the chance to work through the problems on your own which will be discussed in the interview. There is also a one hour test of applied mathematics. The test and interviews will be mostly about maths and how it applies to Engineering problems.

If you are indeed on track for A*A*A* then you should very strongly consider applying! It would be great to meet you on our Open Days in either July or September. For September, you have to book in advance but for the July days Peterhouse is open to all from 8:30 to 5:15 with Directors of Studies and supervisors available from 12-1 and College Admissions Presentations at 11:45 and 4.
Reply 91

x

This is very helpful thank you!
Hopefully I should be able to make it to the September open day, do you know how quickly it fills up or will I be able to wait until results day to book onto it?
Original post by Oraeng
This is very helpful thank you!
Hopefully I should be able to make it to the September open day, do you know how quickly it fills up or will I be able to wait until results day to book onto it?

You should be ok to wait until results day unless the rest of TSR get in first!
Original post by Oraeng

I always think easy maths is much harder than hard maths. I'd much rather be asked to solve a second order differential equation than have to find the determinant of a 3x3 matrix full of minus signs and no zeros.
How important is physics (in particular practical marks )?
Reply 95
Original post by profmatt
I always think easy maths is much harder than hard maths. I'd much rather be asked to solve a second order differential equation than have to find the determinant of a 3x3 matrix full of minus signs and no zeros.

I'm glad someone else feels the same way :smile:

You should be ok to wait until results day unless the rest of TSR get in first!

Great thank you. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed for results day now!
Original post by profmatt

Yh but

REALLY hard maths>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.easy maths>slightly hard maths.
Original post by Mathemusician
Hi, thank you very much for doing this.

I am taking my A levels at the moment, including STEP, but I'm not an offer holder.

If I end up with A*A*AA and a 1,1 on II and III, would it be a good idea to reapply? I understand that Queens' are the college most receptive to gap year students.

If I did reapply with those grades, do you have any advice other than that you would normally give to a pre A level candidate?

Those results (if you do achieve them) would certainly make a competitive application. From your question I assume you applied last year? The decision about whether or not to reapply will depend on any feedback you received
(e.g. were you pooled?) and any other offers you hold to study elsewhere. There is maybe no sense missing out on a place at a good university and delaying your studies of mathematics for another year.

Regarding gap years and mathematics, we would want to be sure that you are keeping up with maths during the year as it is very easy to go 'stale' in the subject.
Original post by JustWondered
How important is physics (in particular practical marks )?

Physics is advantageous but not essential. Theoretical Physics courses are taught from scratch and in Part IA there is an optional Physics course for those who have no or little Physics at A level.

If you are taking Physics to A level, then we would want to see good marks achieved. There would, however, be less emphasis on the practical marks.
Physics is advantageous but not essential. Theoretical Physics courses are taught from scratch and in Part IA there is an optional Physics course for those who have no or little Physics at A level.

If you are taking Physics to A level, then we would want to see good marks achieved. There would, however, be less emphasis on the practical marks.

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending