The Student Room Group

UN Human Rights Council Condemnations (2006-15)

Hamas: 0
Al Qaeda: 0
Islamic Jihad: 0
Hezbollah: 0
ISIS: 1
Boko Haram: 1
Iran: 5
Israel: 61

Ladies & Gentlemen, the UNHRC - the organisation that has put the likes of Iran in place to chair women's rights and stacking its committee with the likes of Sudan, China, Cuba, Mauritania, Nicaragua, Pakistan, Russia, Sudan, and Venezuela in charge of human rights.

The 56 nation Islamic bloc and their allies at the UNHRC constitute an automatic majority against Israel and thus can pass monthly resolutions against Israel without opposition.

The European left wing - "but...but...but why does Israel ignore UN resolutions??!?!?!"

I think that question has been answered.

Next up, the predetermined UN report on the Gaza conflict which will have 600 pages blaming Israel and a paragraph admonishing Hamas' rocket attacks.

GENEVA, May 20, 2015 - As Israeli hospitals continue their life-saving treatment for escalating numbers of wounded Syrians fleeing to the Golan from the Assad regime’s barbaric attacks, the U.N. reached new heights of absurdity today by accusing Israel of violating the health rights of Syrians in the Golan.

By a vote of 104 to 4, with 6 abstentions and 65 absent, the Jewish state was the only country in the world to be singled out as a violator of health rights when its alleged victims were spotlighted by the annual assembly of the U.N.’s World Health Organization.

The resolution on the plight of Israel’s alleged victims, which was the 2015 assembly’s only treatment of a specific country situation, sent an unmistakable message when it ordered “health-related technical assistance” for “the Syrian population in the occupied Syrian Golan,” and when it called on the director-general of the World Health Organization to report on “the health conditions in the occupied Palestinian territory, including east Jerusalem, and in the occupied Syrian Golan” at next year’s session.

That's right. Israel with its world class medical care given to everyone, including terrorists in Gaza and Syria - is the only one in the world singled out for a UNHRC condemnation.

You just couldn't make this stuff up :lol: :lol:

The European left wing - "but...but...but, why doesn't Israel abide by UN resolutions?!?!?!"

:lol:
Reply 2
Mostly agreed. But you forgot to add the Taliban and Saudi Arabia (I think North Korea has been condemned by the UNHRC in the Kirby report, much to China's chagrin). While Israel has violated the human rights of Palestinians numerous times, it's clear that the disproportionate condemnations of Israel (which is at least a democracy- rated 1 for political rights and 2 for civil liberties by Freedom House (1 being the highest possible mark for freedom)- not bad compared to the likes of Iran, Syria, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Qatar etc.) form a propaganda effort by the Arab League nations to weaken Israel's standing in the international community, and hide their own (more frequent) human rights abuses at the same time.

It was a big mistake to add countries which violate human rights, many of which are in the Middle East, to a human rights council ... I wonder, why didn't the EU countries do anything to stop them from joining?

I'm speaking as somebody who leans to the left, by the way.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by LockheedSpooky
That's right. Israel with its world class medical care given to everyone, including terrorists in Gaza and Syria - is the only one in the world singled out for a UNHRC condemnation.

You just couldn't make this stuff up :lol: :lol:

The European left wing - "but...but...but, why doesn't Israel abide by UN resolutions?!?!?!"

:lol:

I believe the terrorists in Syria include members of or sympathetic to Jabhat al-Nusra, the Syrian affiliate of al-Qaeda. I suspect that Israel treats wounded members of a sworn enemy of the Jews, they hope it would loosen the animosity towards Israel from whoever controls the border with Syria, given that the Assad regime, unlike Egypt, has never signed a treaty with Israel since the Yom Kippur War. A bit like the Good Samaritan.
Original post by flibber
Mostly agreed. But you forgot to add the Taliban and Saudi Arabia (I think North Korea has been condemned by the UNHRC in the Kirby report, much to China's chagrin). While Israel has violated the human rights of Palestinians numerous times, it's clear that the disproportionate condemnations of Israel (which can at least claim to be a democracy- rated 1 for political rights and 2 for civil liberties- not bad compared to the likes of Iran, Syria, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Qatar etc.) form a propaganda effort by the Arab League nations to weaken Israel's standing in the international community, and hide their own (more frequent) human rights abuses at the same time.

It was a big mistake to add countries which violate human rights, many of which are in the Middle East, to a human rights council ... I wonder, why didn't the EU countries do anything to stop them from joining?

I'm speaking as somebody who leans to the left, by the way.

I took the list from UNWatch, that monitors the farcical shenanigans.

The UNHRC spends around 80% of its time on Israel. During the Darfur genocide, the UNHRC was inundated with anti-Israel resolutions put forward by Arab states (they take it in turns) which suffocated the UNHRC's time.

Aptly demonstrated by this cartoon.

Well, accession to the UNHRC is voted on. There aren't enough European states to oppose the 3rd world despots and regimes.

Additionally, the places at the UNHRC are often 'bought'. i.e Iran will ask certain nations to support their bid in return for cheaper oil etc.

I read an autobiography of the Israeli ambassador to the UN Chaim Herzog when he was in the post during the 70's I believe.

He said that ambassadors from other states would come up to him and apologise for voting against Israel, but they had to for economic reasons etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by flibber
I believe the terrorists in Syria include members of or sympathetic to Jabhat al-Nusra, the Syrian affiliate of al-Qaeda. I suspect that Israel treats wounded members of a sworn enemy of the Jews, they hope it would loosen the animosity towards Israel from whoever controls the border with Syria, given that the Assad regime, unlike Egypt, has never signed a treaty with Israel since the Yom Kippur War. A bit like the Good Samaritan.

I think it's more simple than that. Israel knows that no matter how 'nice' they act towards the likes of Al Qaeda/Nusra etc. that they're still enemies.

After all, Israel has treated Hezbollah, Syrian soldiers, Nusra, FSA, Hamas etc.

I think it's simply humanitarian and perhaps change the perception of Israel in the minds of the specific people they treat, rather than in the organisations they're part of.
Reply 6
Original post by LockheedSpooky
I took the list from UNWatch, that monitors the farcical shenanigans.

The UNHRC spends around 80% of its time on Israel. During the Darfur genocide, the UNHRC was inundated with resolutions put forward by Arab states (they take it in turns) which suffocated the UNHRC's time.

Aptly demonstrated by this cartoon.

Well, accession to the UNHRC is voted on. There aren't enough European states to oppose the 3rd world despots and regimes.

Additionally, the places at the UNHRC are often 'bought'. i.e Iran will ask certain nations to support their bid in return for cheaper oil etc.

I read an autobiography of the Israeli ambassador to the UN Chaim Herzog when he was in the post during the 70's I believe.

He said that ambassadors from other states would come up to him and apologise for voting against Israel, but they had to for economic reasons etc.

Condemnation of Israel... I guess that's one thing that Shia and Sunni states can agree upon. I'm quite disgusted that the Americans aren't putting enough pressure on Erdogan to withdraw his support for Hamas (Ok, I can agree with his condemnation of the Gaza flotilla raid, but that shouldn't translate into support of a group that launches rockets to Israeli territory all the time- he's a disgrace to Ataturk's secular legacy, in my opinion)

Other countries buy Iranian oil? I though big America would punish whoever who dares to violate US sanctions on Iran!
Reply 7
The UN? The Tyrant Debating Society?
lol Yeah the UNHRC is known almost universally as joke, why is nobody takes notice of it except for Muslims and Guardian-reading idiots who want a stick with which to beat Israel.
Reply 9
Original post by KimKallstrom
lol Yeah the UNHRC is known almost universally as joke, why is nobody takes notice of it except for Muslims and Guardian-reading idiots who want a stick with which to beat Israel.

The Guardian can be a bit whingy and immature at times, but it's not that bad, compared to the Daily Mail. I always buy the Times though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending