The Student Room Group

Should I volunteer?

For a while I have been thinking about volunteering on the weekends. My careers advisor at university has been telling me that I should volunteer as it would help boost my CV and my LinkedIn profile. I have also had some people tell me to volunteer, but I have also had other people tell me that there is no point and that I should focus on a job only.

I am thinking about this but I don't want to work in the volunteering sector as a long-term career. I want to work in media/PR/Journalism in the long-term.

I have a potential opportunity to volunteer at a local charity shop in my hometown, but I am not sure if it would be beneficial. Also, I would only do it for a few hours a week on the weekends, because I would rather spend the week days building up my portfolio, working on my blog, applying for placements/jobs/paid internships, going for interviews, etc.

So what should I do? Should I bother volunteering?
I'd always say that if you have nothing apart from your education on your CV, and no recent experience/placement/internships, volunteer. Work experience is better, but volunteering experience is better than nothing. You might also meet some nice people, help people out, and get a warm fuzzy glow inside.
Volunteering isn't all charity shops and picking up rubbish. I'm sure you could find something that relates to the media, PR or journalism. There could be a charity that wants help with publicity materials. Or you could write articles to campaign for a charity.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Volunteering isn't all charity shops and picking up rubbish. I'm sure you could find something that relates to the media, PR or journalism. There could be a charity that wants help with publicity materials. Or you could write articles to campaign for a charity.

I agree, you could look for volunteering that's relevant to your career intentions. Look on Do-It for volunteering work, they advertise all sorts.

If you can't find anything relevant, it's still important to have some work experience. If you could only work in a charity shop, it would still give you communication, interpersonal, organisation etc skills. You'll be working in a team, increasing your numeracy skills in handling money etc. On your CV, it'll be more than just a 'weekend job in a charity shop', you'll actually gain skills that other jobs will require. You always need to give examples of these skills, too, so it will be better for you to have more experiences to draw from other than a million examples of coursework and projects you did for your degree.
Original post by russellsteapot
I'd always say that if you have nothing apart from your education on your CV, and no recent experience/placement/internships, volunteer. Work experience is better, but volunteering experience is better than nothing. You might also meet some nice people, help people out, and get a warm fuzzy glow inside.

That's the thing - I have loads of experience in the media - see here - and I have had loads of jobs as well. Yet my careers advisor was saying that I should still volunteer. She even said that I should even try volunteering abroad, despite the fact that I am not in a position to do so.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sliceofcake
I agree, you could look for volunteering that's relevant to your career intentions. Look on Do-It for volunteering work, they advertise all sorts.

Ok I shall bear that in mind.
Reply 6
My friend did marketing at university. While on his course he emailed around to local businesses offering free work to them, and someone took him up on his offer. As a result he got a nice reference and something to put on his CV. Be creative, and actively go out and seek something relevant to what you want to do. That said general volunteering will still look better on your job applications than nothing.

I've always held the view that part-time employment, even in retail or hospitality looks infinitely better on your CV than nothing. All people should try find work at university, whether they need the money or not.
Original post by Swanbow
My friend did marketing at university. While on his course he emailed around to local businesses offering free work to them, and someone took him up on his offer. As a result he got a nice reference and something to put on his CV. Be creative, and actively go out and seek something relevant to what you want to do. That said general volunteering will still look better on your job applications than nothing.

I've always held the view that part-time employment, even in retail or hospitality looks infinitely better on your CV than nothing. All people should try find work at university, whether they need the money or not.

Ok.

I have had jobs before and I have loads and loads of experience - see here - but I feel as though perhaps it's not enough. Would doing a bit of volunteering help to give my CV a bit extra? I do some much already...

I do agree with you though...I think people at university should at least get some experience/a job/work placement/internship/hobbies/responsibilities...but the amount of people I know who don't is shocking. A lot of people I know just spend their time doing nothing productive.
You don't really seem like you want to volunteer. My mum tells me that it's pointless to volunteer and that I should just look for a summer job but I WANT to volunteer and have got an interview for some summer volunteer projects next week :smile:

What do you mean by will it benefit you?? I feel volunteering will benefit me as I am studying childcare and the volunteer projects I have applied for are with children but volunteering is about benefitting the cause or the people/animals you are going to be volunteering for/with and doing something with your time that will help others. If this isn't what you want then maybe volunteering isn't for you.
I really like volunteering-if you can do it, do it.
Original post by kittykatxoxo
For a while I have been thinking about volunteering on the weekends. My careers advisor at university has been telling me that I should volunteer as it would help boost my CV and my LinkedIn profile. I have also had some people tell me to volunteer, but I have also had other people tell me that there is no point and that I should focus on a job only.

I am thinking about this but I don't want to work in the volunteering sector as a long-term career. I want to work in media/PR/Journalism in the long-term.

I have a potential opportunity to volunteer at a local charity shop in my hometown, but I am not sure if it would be beneficial. Also, I would only do it for a few hours a week on the weekends, because I would rather spend the week days building up my portfolio, working on my blog, applying for placements/jobs/paid internships, going for interviews, etc.

So what should I do? Should I bother volunteering?

Having looked at your profile on Linkendin, I would say you have a strong background for journalism. I do believe it will peak the interest of future employers if you have done some volunteering outside of journalism but also believe they will be impressed with what you have done so far. It's entirely up to you, I don't think you need to but it will slighty boost your application profile.
Is there a particular area of journalism/PR you want to do? For example if you want to do sports journalism it could be good to show special interest and volunteer at a sports centre or something. It could show extra motivation, plus it should keep your interest more if you see a clear link to your future career. Also, small local community radios and newspapers are often run by volunteers so they'd probably appreciate the help plus you'd broaden your CV though I don't know if you want to work in radio or whatever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending