The Student Room Group

General info re the pill – stopping/peroids returning/safety from pregnancy etc

GENERAL INFO RE THE PILL STOPPING/PEROIDS RETURNING/SAFETYFROM PREGNANCY ETCGood Afternoon All,Just wanted to share some info for you all as I knowinvariably there is a lot of confusion regarding this & when googling all Iseemed to end up on was sites for people who are coming off the pill and tryingto conceive as opposed to other reasons.Just to set the scene, I have been on my Pill Loestrin 20for over 10 years. I used to take it for 21 days on 7 days off until around ayear ago when I took it back to back constantly. I was advised this is safe. RecentlyI have been feeling like I have a bad case of PMT & bloated; so decided Ishould maybe take a break from my pill all together, as I researched & you aren’treally supposed to take more than 3 packs back to back.I therefore decided to come off the pill totally as wasworried that a 7 day break alone wouldn’t resolve the feelings. This shouldhopefully release some hormones & PMT then early 2015 possibly go back onthe pull & I will be less of a grump!Anyway I had an in depth chat with a really helpful lady onthe phone & thought I would share as it really helped me understand, andthere was a lack of info online most websites I looked at in relation tostopping the pill were for conception reasons so opened a whole new can ofworms/advice/stuff to worry me about & confuse me!I stopped taking my pills mid packet as due to taking backto back I had no idea where in my cycle I would normally be anyway. IF you dothis then you are SAFE for 3-4 days from when you stop the pill, but not formuch longer afterwards as Sperm can live in your system for up to 5 days &if you ovulate in any of those 5 days, an egg COULD get fertilised. So you areNOT safe for 7 days when you STOP the pill totally. Therefore you NEED to useback up contraception, ie condoms etc and also FYI the ‘pull out’ method is NOTsafe, men ejaculate throughout sex semen is NOT the only carrier of sperm –pre ejaculate fluid can carry it & it only takes ONE sperm to fertislie anegg.When stopping the pill you usually would get a withdrawalbleed (which is NOT a period) and you can ovulate at the same time, or anytimefrom then onwards. Due to the interruption of your cycle with hormones (thepill) your new cycle could be totally random & remain like this for a fewmonths. Therefore any advice re ‘tracking your cycle’ & when you are mostat risk of conception vs safest is not really applicable. You could fallpregnant at ANY time once the 3-4 days are lapsed as its totally per chancewhen you will ovulate.Your periods could return to normal very soon, or they couldremain random for a long time. So you can’t have one-two normal periods &assume you can track it all & be safe. Also if you started the pill a longtime ago when young to deal with period pains the good news is research newsuggests that you may ‘outrgow’ these v painful periods by the time you reach25 (I hope so too!).My pill, Loestrin 20 is a low dosage pill so in ‘theory’ Ishould begin to return to normal sooner than if I were on a higher dose buteverybody is different. Bottom line is A) Don’t panic if you don’t have a periodwithin the first few months of stopping the pill altogether B) Don’t take risksno matter what you have read elsewhere re conception/fertility as it doesn’t applyin this instance C) Your periods could be totally random for at least 3-4months after stopping the pill.Just wanted to share as this made it a lot clearer for me& the lady was very helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest