The Student Room Group

[EDEXCEL] A2 Geography Unit 4: Life on the Margins - the Food Supply Problem

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by natasha037
Do you guys have case studies for every scale( local regional national global)? Also, do you think food insecurity in the megacity of Mumbai is a local scale event? And what case studies did you use for population pressure?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by a local, regional, national and global scales? I have Continental Africa and then loads of countries including MIC's NIC's and LIC's but not quite sure what u mean
Local, national and international is sufficient in terms of scales
i dont know any local scale casestudies for food insecurity?? all iknow is international scale food insecurity :frown:im so screwed
Reply 43
By local doesn't it just mean any case study by place so like yemen or california, whereas region is like Sub-saharan Africa, and international is just like the whole world so total population growth for example, or am i completely wrong?
Original post by ahmedghon
i dont know any local scale casestudies for food insecurity?? all iknow is international scale food insecurity :frown:im so screwed

Food banks in the UK.
What are your international ones?
Original post by Katie Pegg
Food banks in the UK.
What are your international ones?

Philippines- population pressure (malthus theory)
USA able to cope with population theory (boserup theory) therefore this explans variation from one to place to another (economic development)
climate change effecting Sudan and sub-Saharan Africa
however climate not effecting Europe due to cap policy therefore apple to cope

natural disaster haiti however benefiting italy
Diseaseand outbreak: gambia- 70% of its of it land effected by pestsOnthe other hand, nations in North America and Europe have seen far less modernissues with disease and outbreak affecting agriculture
Changinglifestyles: china rise of the middle class Whilstthe USA can meet its populations demands due to it having 10 times moreagricultural land and thus ensure food security, China cannot. Changinglifestyle of people explains patterns in food insecurity as China struggles tomeets demands.
Reply 46
The thing I am most worried about is if they ask a question that is worded so differently that you have to spend 10 minutes planning / decoding the actual question.

Hope they're just good human beings.
Reply 47
Original post by ahmedghon
Philippines- population pressure (malthus theory)
USA able to cope with population theory (boserup theory) therefore this explans variation from one to place to another (economic development)
climate change effecting Sudan and sub-Saharan Africa
however climate not effecting Europe due to cap policy therefore apple to cope

natural disaster haiti however benefiting italy
Diseaseand outbreak: gambia- 70% of its of it land effected by pestsOnthe other hand, nations in North America and Europe have seen far less modernissues with disease and outbreak affecting agriculture
Changinglifestyles: china rise of the middle class Whilstthe USA can meet its populations demands due to it having 10 times moreagricultural land and thus ensure food security, China cannot. Changinglifestyle of people explains patterns in food insecurity as China struggles tomeets demands.

Are these all the case studies you're going to be using?

Also, how are natural disasters benefiting Italy?

And local case studies that I am using are Darfur (in Sudan) and California
Is 3000 words too much or too little?
I'm doing Pollution and Health.
Original post by Hody421
The thing I am most worried about is if they ask a question that is worded so differently that you have to spend 10 minutes planning / decoding the actual question.

Hope they're just good human beings.

This is exactly my worry I am the same! As unit 3 was decent I have faith it will be a simple case of presenting the argument of demographic/environmental vs other despite any odd wording.
does this structure sound okay?
1.1 introduction
1.2 direction of the report
2.0 methodology table
3.1 case study 1 (MEDC)
3.2 model that links to MEDC case study
3.3 case study 2 (MEDC)
3.4 case study 3 (LEDC)
3.5 model that links to LEDC case study
3.6 case study 4 (LEDC)
4. conclusion

any improvements or advice on structure? thanks x
Reply 51
If it asks which factor is the most significant in causing food insecurity what argument would you make?
Reply 52
Original post by c_aras
If it asks which factor is the most significant in causing food insecurity what argument would you make?

Poverty or population growth as they cause a butterfly effect for other causes of food insecurity to become exacerbated e.g. they lead to disease, poor health, poor infrastructure, no technology, no space, poor farming management etc
Reply 53
Original post by Raftera
Poverty or population growth as they cause a butterfly effect for other causes of food insecurity to become exacerbated e.g. they lead to disease, poor health, poor infrastructure, no technology, no space, poor farming management etc

Yeah I was thinking poverty, or by maybe environmental
Reply 54
Original post by c_aras
Yeah I was thinking poverty, or by maybe environmental

I think you can write anything as long as you back your point up. But the biggest worry for the future should probably be climate change which i guess is environmental
Reply 55
Original post by maryj123
does this structure sound okay?
1.1 introduction
1.2 direction of the report
2.0 methodology table
3.1 case study 1 (MEDC)
3.2 model that links to MEDC case study
3.3 case study 2 (MEDC)
3.4 case study 3 (LEDC)
3.5 model that links to LEDC case study
3.6 case study 4 (LEDC)
4. conclusion

any improvements or advice on structure? thanks x

What are your case studies for MEDCs?
Original post by Hody421
What are your case studies for MEDCs?

UK and Austrailia. You?
Reply 57
Does anyone have any advice for evaluating?
Reply 58
UK and Austrailia. You?

I have Singapore and Australia - just in case. Also know about UK's Food Bank issue etc..

Although I would say that for this report LEDC case studies might be more useful.

I have NICs though - like South Africa, Brazil (Belo Horizonte) and China.
Reply 59
UK and Austrailia. You?

What do you talk about when you discuss UK and Australia?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending