The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE/Level 2 qualification in Further Maths UNOFFICIAL MARK SCHEME

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Logger
Partial mark scheme
1)) 12,-14 (2 marks)
2)) Q, R, P, S. The pair was P and S. (5 marks)
3)) X>or equal to 1/10 (2 marks)
4a)) Dy/dx= 2x-5
4b)) P= (3,-6)
5a)) K=-2 (1 mark)
5b)) The coefficient of x= -7 (2 marks)
6)) Balls question: x=25
7)) A=3, b=1, c=2, d=7 (3 marks)
8)) 2/ (x+4)
9)) Matrices question: a=2/5 b=3/5 (5 marks)
10a)) -2/3 <x<2
10b)) y=1/5x -11/5
11)) –x^2 for -1<x<2 ; -4 for 2<x<3 ; 4x-16 for 3<x<4 (where I’ve put <, it should be an < or equal to)
12)) 16x/ (3x-16)
13)) a=-5, b=30
14)
15 a)two tangents = isosceles triangle (2 marks)
b) prove it (3 marks)
16)) x^2 / (x+2) (x-1)
17))

Tell me what to add as it isn't complete (Thanks to ReeJess99) - give a rep to them

Is it okay if you give a breif description for questions 5a, 6,7,14,16 and 17? I cannot remember what it was asking for! Think, I got something like 36-9. Hard exam.
I was so frustrated with that paper. I spent so long on the matrices question in the hope I'd finally get the answer that I missed questions towards the end... >.<

If I got mid 40's in this paper and I get mid 90's in the next paper, is an A^ still out of reach? I'm so torn :frown:
Original post by M0nkey Thunder
I was so frustrated with that paper. I spent so long on the matrices question in the hope I'd finally get the answer that I missed questions towards the end... >.<

If I got mid 40's in this paper and I get mid 90's in the next paper, is an A^ still out of reach? I'm so torn :frown:

If you got a combination of 45 and 95 (a difficult mark to achieve I'd argue), you would get 140/175. The grade boundary for A^ last year, I believe, was 144, which means you are just under the boundary. However, I suspect grade boundaries will be lower this year judging from the fact that a good number of people found it difficult and most people were unable to do the circle thereom question. This may not be case if paper 2 is 'easy'.
Original post by Foreboding
If you got a combination of 45 and 95 (a difficult mark to achieve I'd argue), you would get 140/175. The grade boundary for A^ last year, I believe, was 144, which means you are just under the boundary. However, I suspect grade boundaries will be lower this year judging from the fact that a good number of people found it difficult and most people were unable to do the circle thereom question. This may not be case if paper 2 is 'easy'.

Hm. Well alright then, thanks. I feel that I could achieve mid 90's in the calculator paper though, considering I've been doing further maths since the start of the year and have been finding the past papers considerably 'easy'. Well, I won't be frustrated with a comfortable A* either I suppose.

-Thanks again.
Original post by latenightmadness
Thanks a million for the unofficial mark scheme to everyone who contributed!
I think I got an average of 35-43.. how much would I need to get in the calculator exam on Friday to get an A or A* overall?

For the matrices question, I converted 3/5 and 2/5 to 0.4 and 0.6 - would that get any marks? And also HOW ON EARTH do you do the red and blue balls question?! I was overthinking the entire question and I just sat there, frustrated as hell trying to get my brain to work on that question!

How do you do question 7 and 14? Question 14 was the surds one and I didn't get it in the required form - I got 6 root 5 + 5 root something, something...?! *pulls hair out*

Could someone also explain how the last question worked? Sorry for the looooong post... any help appreciated!!

helloooo this is how i did the surds question if it helps:

Original post by Ed Jeffrey
Is it okay if you give a breif description for questions 5a, 6,7,14,16 and 17? I cannot remember what it was asking for! Think, I got something like 36-9. Hard exam.

5a) in the expansion of (x+2)(x^2+kx-3) the coefficient of x^2 is 0. work out the value of k

6) no. of red balls = 5x; no. of blue balls = 2x
red decreased by 20%
blue increased by 30%
the difference now is 35 balls, work out the value of x

7) i dont remember it soz...but it was an identity i think
14) write in the form where w and k are integers

16) by factorising, simplify this fraction:

17) prove that
Reply 86
Original post by Logger
Partial mark scheme
1)) 12,-14 (2 marks)
2)) Q, R, P, S. The pair was P and S. (5 marks)
3)) X>or equal to 1/10 (2 marks)
4a)) Dy/dx= 2x-5
4b)) P= (3,-6)
5a)) K=-2 (1 mark)
5b)) The coefficient of x= -7 (2 marks)
6)) Balls question: x=25
7)) A=3, b=1, c=2, d=7 (3 marks)
8)) 2/ (x+4)
9)) Matrices question: a=2/5 b=3/5 (5 marks)
10a)) -2/3 <x<2
10b)) y=1/5x -11/5
11)) –x^2 for -1<x<2 ; -4 for 2<x<3 ; 4x-16 for 3<x<4 (where I’ve put <, it should be an < or equal to)
12)) 16x/ (3x-16)
13)) a=-5, b=30
14)
15 a)two tangents = isosceles triangle (2 marks)
b) prove it (3 marks)
16)) x^2 / (x+2) (x-1)
17))

Tell me what to add as it isn't complete (Thanks to ReeJess99) - give a rep to them

I'm quite sure that question 16 was something along the lines of x-1/x+2 (can't remember exactly) because the x^2 value canceled when the quartic was factorised, and then with the factorisation when it came to the difference of two squares - what are everyone else's thoughts?
(edited 8 years ago)
Can anyone tell me how many marks question 10b is thanks
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
helloooo this is how i did the surds question if it helps:

Thank you so much!!:h:
I left my answer as 6 root 3 + 7 root 2
Can't believe I didn't use my brain lol
How many marks would I get for that?
Thank you so much!!:h:
I left my answer as 6 root 3 + 7 root 2
Can't believe I didn't use my brain lol
How many marks would I get for that?

probably all but the final mark, i.e. 4 out of a possible 5, don't stress x
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
probably all but the final mark, i.e. 4 out of a possible 5, don't stress x

Any predictions for Friday's exam?
I'm thinking maybe solution of trigonometric equations?
Matrices came up on the non-calc paper, but I really want matrix transformations to come up - my teacher said it isn't likely? What are your thoughts on it?

Also, the tricky completing the square questions we had in the non-calc in which we had to equate the coefficients... is that likely to come up again? I know it probably won't because examiners probably wouldn't waste 2 questions on the same topic for both papers but I just want to make sure! Any other predictions?
Any predictions for Friday's exam?
I'm thinking maybe solution of trigonometric equations?
Matrices came up on the non-calc paper, but I really want matrix transformations to come up - my teacher said it isn't likely? What are your thoughts on it?

Also, the tricky completing the square questions we had in the non-calc in which we had to equate the coefficients... is that likely to come up again? I know it probably won't because examiners probably wouldn't waste 2 questions on the same topic for both papers but I just want to make sure! Any other predictions?

These are some of the topics my teacher thought may come up as they weren't in the first one

sequences - linear/quadratic/limiting value as n tends to infinity
simultaneous equations - quadratic/circle
factor theorem
quadratic inequalities
distance between 2 points
equation of a circle
circle theorems (maybe a slightly nicer question!!)
solving trig. equations/trig. graphs
matrix transformations
Pythagoras' theorem/SOHCAHTOA
3D trigonometry
sine & cosine rules/area of a triangle
drawing a graph given the domains and the range (the opposite of the question in paper 1)
show why sin(30) = 1/2 etc
algebraic proof
index laws
Wow looking at this markscheme and finding that I only got 13 marks :ashamed: kmn
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by simply_a_ Δ
Wow looking at this markscheme and finding that I only got 13 marks :ashamed: kmn

You can get a lot of marks from methods. Did you do all the questions?
Original post by Bobby21231
These are some of the topics my teacher thought may come up as they weren't in the first one

sequences - linear/quadratic/limiting value as n tends to infinity
simultaneous equations - quadratic/circle
factor theorem
quadratic inequalities
distance between 2 points
equation of a circle
circle theorems (maybe a slightly nicer question!!)
solving trig. equations/trig. graphs
matrix transformations
Pythagoras' theorem/SOHCAHTOA
3D trigonometry
sine & cosine rules/area of a triangle
drawing a graph given the domains and the range (the opposite of the question in paper 1)
show why sin(30) = 1/2 etc
algebraic proof
index laws

How can you use limiting value in a calculator paper? Does that mean writing in 3 s.f?
Original post by asmuse123
You can get a lot of marks from methods. Did you do all the questions?

I attempted most questions but I reckon the method I was using was completely wrong as I felt like I was getting nowhere with the working out I did.

Better bring my grade up with the calculator exam.
Original post by asmuse123
How can you use limiting value in a calculator paper? Does that mean writing in 3 s.f?

No I think it means just showing the limiting value. Here is an example question from a calculator paper
Do you think I can still get an a star even though I only got about 40 marks in this paper
Original post by Bobby21231
Do you think I can still get an a star even though I only got about 40 marks in this paper

I think it was 114/175 overall to get an A*, so you will have to get 75/105 in the calculator exam to get an A* overall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending