The Student Room Group

Gap year financial plan advice

Hello,

So I want to buy a new camera to take on a gap year. I want to buy one because I'm really interested in photography and also want some decent photos of my gap year. My price range for a new camera is around £600 if I was to get a new one. I already have a camera but it isn't as good as a DSLR which is what I want.

I'm unsure on weather to keep my existing camera and take some half decent photos but have more money to travel or to buy a really nice camera and take good quality photos but have slightly less money to spend on travelling.

What would you do if you were in my situation bearing in mind that I'm not a complete novice photographer and I will eventual buy a DSLR if I don't get one before I take my gap year.

Thanks in advance for replies.
Depends how much you have to spend on travelling, dosnt it? If you have say less than 2K then it will eat up almost 30%, if you have over 5k then its less of an impact.

Either way, I think its madness. Unless you are a professional and really know how to use the equipment, you wont really find much difference between it and one of half or even a third of the price.

Also, think of cost if lost/stolen. Its so easily done.
Original post by Rhys.P
Hello,

So I want to buy a new camera to take on a gap year. I want to buy one because I'm really interested in photography and also want some decent photos of my gap year. My price range for a new camera is around £600 if I was to get a new one. I already have a camera but it isn't as good as a DSLR which is what I want.

I'm unsure on weather to keep my existing camera and take some half decent photos but have more money to travel or to buy a really nice camera and take good quality photos but have slightly less money to spend on travelling.

What would you do if you were in my situation bearing in mind that I'm not a complete novice photographer and I will eventual buy a DSLR if I don't get one before I take my gap year.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Try using a bridge camera first if you want to, then upgrade when you are ready to buy it. Have fun on your travels! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by atiyaaloveszaynx
Try using a bridge camera first if you want to, then upgrade when you are ready to buy it. Have fun on your travels! :smile:

Hi, I currently have a bridge camera. What should I do? Stick with it or upgrade?
Hey, my bad. If you're comfortable with using it and the pictures, but maybe want something for the pictures to come out better, i'd say invest in a DSLR. But do it as a last resort - don't compromise parts of your travels for it. At least wait a while longer before going on your travels and save more money, try looking for a job if you don't have one already. But as you said you'd buy one anyways, try and find a good one for a good price with good equipment - just have to take extra care with it when travelling!
Hope it helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest