The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Kings rocks...i got into Imperial and UCL but I chose Kings coz of the uni...its amazing
Reply 2
wow really??????

that's an amazing decision... how's life in king's?

u r in computer science?
Reply 3
yeah...Kings rocks man...beautiful
Reply 4
I got an ABB offer from Kings, most likely to be my first choice...
Reply 5
But I feel that somehow, King's College Computer Science isn't that good. Am I right?
Reply 6
^^^

For the course, your probebly right. Its not something they are known for, unlike their medicine and law departments etc.
Manchester, Imperial and Oxbridge are probebly better.:rolleyes:

However. It is one of the top unis in the country. Its located in central london. And with kings you will probebly have the best social life out of the other unis :biggrin: (Manchster debatable). But it ends up depending on the person and what they really want from uni.

My advice, actaully go VIST the unis and see what you think. And if employment prospects are what drives you, then 1. ask employers THEMSELVES which uni they prefer (rankings and word of mouth can only get your so far) 2. Remember london is london!
Reply 7
I do wish to go down and take a look too. But I am located in Singapore... there is no way I can go down physically.

Warwick Business School is also considered one of the top three in UK right? I wonder what's their standing internationally.
Reply 8
Among the Uni's you are lookin at for Computer Science...
The Guardian University guides have the order as :
--> Kings, Warwick, Manchester
Reply 9
The lecturers also seem nice and helpful.

Is Kings Comp. Sci. open for clearing? I may want to change from Maths to Computer Science
Reply 10
fblade
The lecturers also seem nice and helpful.

Is Kings Comp. Sci. open for clearing? I may want to change from Maths to Computer Science

You mean you can change course? that's interesting. But I am going to give up my place in King's college for warwick now.
Reply 11
I haven't got a place in the Kings maths dept. I applied to maths at some other uni's. But I am thinking of changing course to comp. sci. But as Kings and Warwick were both in clearing last year I'd thought they would be in open this year.

I do find it interesting, I've made a few small DOS programs in C as well, and a couple computers for some bucks:wink:
Reply 12
fblade
I haven't got a place in the Kings maths dept. I applied to maths at some other uni's. But I am thinking of changing course to comp. sci. But as Kings and Warwick were both in clearing last year I'd thought they would be in open this year.

I do find it interesting, I've made a few small DOS programs in C as well, and a couple computers for some bucks:wink:

Hehe! Welcome to the world of computing! Maybe you can drop them an email indicating your choice?

Hmmm.. you sound like you are going to make King's College your firm choice? Why not Warwick?
Reply 13
They rejected me for Maths :p: and also would like to stay in London due to personal circumstance. I was also thinking UCL, but they don't seem to be in clearing/extra.
Reply 14
Bump!

Just an update... still thinking whether should I go King's or Warwick. Manchester is out... simply too far away from London.
Reply 15
Kings as the average starting salary for a kings computer scientists is around 29 k (Professor at kings told me).
Reply 16
Hmm that sounds a bit suspicious to me. That's quite high. Unless it's because most people who graduate there end up working in London, since the pay is generally higher to cover the higher living costs.
Psyk
Hmm that sounds a bit suspicious to me. That's quite high. Unless it's because most people who graduate there end up working in London, since the pay is generally higher to cover the higher living costs.

Sounds modest to me.
Comp Sci grads get very high or very low (If they end up in a more IT oriented job) salaries. Theres not much middle ground.

Queen Mary's claim their students get 136% above the average. - (source: direct from QM perspectus). I like money :smile:

Slick
Reply 18
Slick 'n' Shady

Comp Sci grads get very high or very low (If they end up in a more IT oriented job) salaries. Theres not much middle ground.

That would still indicate the average would be somewhere in the middle though.
Reply 19
Slick 'n' Shady

Queen Mary's claim their students get 136% above the average. - (source: direct from QM perspectus). I like money :smile:

Slick

I think they claimed one of their students got that, not the average.

Latest

Trending

Trending