The Student Room Group

STEP 1 2015 Solutions Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by CatherineLauraG
Did anyone do any of the statistics questions? I've had a good look through the main step thread and this one and no one's mentioned them that I've seen. I don't remember much but I remember getting 1/2 for two parts of the first statistics question, about the die-rolling. Then the last part came out as a long quadratic in terms of n? I felt like most of that question was wrong, I was a bit rushed.

I had ten minutes left at the end and felt my working was too scatterbrained for me to really check past answers (not a great sign lol) and started doing the die question. I did the first few parts I think; I got two geometric series sums for probabilities in b and c and then I was on my way to designing something that probably would have ended up resembling the expression for which they were like "you may use the expansion..."
I tend to love the STEP statistics questions so I have no idea why I didn't do them earlier. Might get a 3 or something now because of my dreadful choices.

edit: I'm pretty sure I got (1/2) twice as well
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
(iii)

Spoiler

Those aren't right, it should be

Spoiler

(Wolfram Alpha agrees btw)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Necrofantasia
Q7)

Spoiler

Someone is going to come along and post a proper solution. These are just placeholders while we have nothing pretty much.

The ranges for a (and the corresponding formulas for M(a)) were:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by StrangeBanana

Spoiler

The ranges for a (and the corresponding formulas for M(a)) were:

Spoiler

I am suddenly a lot less nervous, i was scared I had got 2 wrong as well hahaha, or my misread of -1/3 as 1/3 in question 7 meant my answers were far astray, thanks for settling some nerves.
Reply 64
Q8)

i) Write out the sum of n\displaystyle n forwards and backwards one over the other like so:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle \begin{align}[br]&1+\hphantom{(n-\ )}2+\hphantom{(n-\,\,)}3+\dots+n\\[br]&n+(n-1)+(n-2)+\cdots+1[br]\end{align}

Lets call the sum Sn\displaystyle S_n. Adding the columns up gives us 2Sn=n(n+1)\displaystyle 2S_n=n(n+1)

So Sn=n(n+1)2\displaystyle S_n=\frac{n(n+1)}{2}

ii)

First note that for odd kk we have:
xk+yk=(x+y)(xk1xk2y++yk1)\displaystyle x^k+y^k=(x+y)(x^{k-1}-x^{k-2}y+\dots+y^{k-1}).

This means that .xk+yk\displaystyle. x^k+y^k is divisible by x+y\displaystyle x+y.

Now similar to the first part right the sum of odd powers foreword and backwards:

\displaystyle \begin{align}[br]&1^k+\hphantom{(n-\ )}2^k+\hphantom{(n-\,\,)}3^k+\dots+n^k\\[br]&n^k+(n-1)^k+(n-2)^k+\cdots+1^k[br]\end{align}

The sum of each column is divisible by n+1\displaystyle n+1 by the factorisation in the first part.

Now write out the sum again but this time include 0.

\displaystyle \begin{align}[br]&0^k+\hphantom{(n-\ )}1^k+\hphantom{(n-\,\,)}2^k+\dots+n^k\\[br]&n^k+(n-1)^k+(n-2)^k+\cdots+0^k[br]\end{align}

This time the sum of each column is divisible by n\displaystyle n.

That means that, as gcd(n,n+1)=1\displaystyle gcd(n,n+1)=1, that n(n+1)2(1k+2k+3k++nk)\displaystyle n(n+1)\,|\,2(1^k+2^k+3^k+\dots+n^k).

The result follows since n(n+1)\displaystyle n(n+1) is even.

Edit:
Whoops, didn't realise this was already done.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 65
Q4)

i)

Let's call the coordinates of the rods midpoint (X,Y) \displaystyle (X,Y) and let θ \displaystyle \theta be the angle between the x axis and the rod.

Since the gradient of the parabola is x2 \displaystyle \frac{x}{2}, the rod must have the same gradient if it is tangent. This means that m=X2 \displaystyle m=\frac{X}{2}

But the gradient of the rod is also tan(θ) \displaystyle \tan(\theta) so that means X2=tan(θ) \displaystyle \frac{X}{2}=\tan(\theta).

This gives us X=2tan(θ) \displaystyle X= 2\tan(\theta) .

Also as the rod's midpoint lies of the parabola then Y=X24 \displaystyle Y=\frac{X^2}{4}.
This implies that Y=tan2(θ) \displaystyle Y=\tan^2(\theta) .

In order to get one of the coordinates of the midpoint we must travel (bcos(θ),bsin(θ)) \displaystyle (b\cos(\theta), b\sin(\theta)) down the rod for the bottom end and up the rod for the bottom end.

This gives us the end of the rod the final coordinates:

(2tan(θ)±bcos(θ),tan2(θ)±bsin(θ) \displaystyle (2\tan(\theta) \pm b\cos(\theta), \tan^2(\theta) \pm b\sin(\theta) .

ii)

First we just find the equation of the rod.
We know that one coordinate is (0,A) \displaystyle (0,A) .

That means that since y=mx+c \displaystyle y=mx+c then:

tan2(θ)=tan(θ)(2tan(θ))+A \displaystyle \tan^2(\theta)=\tan(\theta) \left ( 2\tan(\theta) \right ) + A

So A=tan2(θ) \displaystyle A = -\tan^2(\theta).

This means that the area in question is equal to:

2tan(θ)bcos(θ)2tan(θ)+bcos(θ)tan(θ)xtan2(θ)x24  dx \displaystyle \int_{2\tan(\theta) -b\cos(\theta)}^{2\tan(\theta) + b\cos(\theta)} \tan(\theta)x - \tan^2(\theta) - \frac{x^2}{4} \; dx

Which is equal to:
142tan(θ)bcos(θ)2tan(θ)+bcos(θ)(x2tan(θ))2  dx -\frac{1}{4 }\displaystyle \int_{2\tan(\theta) -b\cos(\theta)}^{2\tan(\theta) + b\cos(\theta)} \left ( x - 2\tan(\theta) \right )^2 \; dx

Evaluating the integral gives:

()(bcos(θ))36 \displaystyle (-) \frac{\left ( b\cos(\theta) \right ) ^3}{6}
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gawain
Q4)

i)

Let's call the coordinates of the rods midpoint (X,Y) \displaystyle (X,Y) and let θ \displaystyle \theta be the angle between the x axis and the rod.

Since the gradient of the parabola is x2 \displaystyle \frac{x}{2}, the rod must have the same gradient if it is tangent. This means that m=X2 \displaystyle m=\frac{X}{2}

But the gradient of the rod is also tan(θ) \displaystyle \tan(\theta) so that means X2=tan(θ) \displaystyle \frac{X}{2}=\tan(\theta).

This gives us X=2tan(θ) \displaystyle X= 2\tan(\theta) .

Also as the rod's midpoint lies of the parabola then Y=X24 \displaystyle Y=\frac{X^2}{4}.
This implies that Y=tan2(θ) \displaystyle Y=\tan^2(\theta) .

In order to get one of the coordinates of the midpoint we must travel (bcos(θ),bsin(θ)) \displaystyle (b\cos(\theta), b\sin(\theta)) down the rod for the bottom end and up the rod for the bottom end.

This gives us the end of the rod the final coordinates:

(2tan(θ)±bcos(θ),tan2(θ)±bsin(θ) \displaystyle (2\tan(\theta) \pm b\cos(\theta), \tan^2(\theta) \pm b\sin(\theta) .

ii)

First we just find the equation of the rod.
We know that one coordinate is (0,A) \displaystyle (0,A) .

That means that since y=mx+c \displaystyle y=mx+c then:

tan2(θ)=tan(θ)(2tan(θ))+A \displaystyle \tan^2(\theta)=\tan(\theta) \left ( 2\tan(\theta) \right ) + A

So A=tan2(θ) \displaystyle A = -\tan^2(\theta).

This means that the area in question is equal to:

2tan(θ)bcos(θ)2tan(θ)+bcos(θ)tan(θ)xtan2(θ)x24  dx \displaystyle \int_{2\tan(\theta) -b\cos(\theta)}^{2\tan(\theta) + b\cos(\theta)} \tan(\theta)x - \tan^2(\theta) - \frac{x^2}{4} \; dx

Which is equal to:
142tan(θ)bcos(θ)2tan(θ)+bcos(θ)(x2tan(θ))2  dx -\frac{1}{4 }\displaystyle \int_{2\tan(\theta) -b\cos(\theta)}^{2\tan(\theta) + b\cos(\theta)} \left ( x - 2\tan(\theta) \right )^2 \; dx

Evaluating the integral gives:

()(bcos(θ))36 \displaystyle (-) \frac{\left ( b\cos(\theta) \right ) ^3}{6}

Added, thanks :smile:
Reply 67
How many marks are we likely to get for sketching the graph in q7 with the important points?
Original post by Jai Sandhu
I am suddenly a lot less nervous, i was scared I had got 2 wrong as well hahaha, or my misread of -1/3 as 1/3 in question 7 meant my answers were far astray, thanks for settling some nerves.

Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't the range for a for a39\frac{a^3}{9} be 2a<32 \leq a < 3, so that all the solutions have continuity at the boundaries of the intervals?

That is, so 3a+29=a39 \frac{3a + 2}{9} = \frac{a^3}{9} when a=2a = 2, as it is for a39=3a6\frac{a^3}{9} = 3a - 6 when a=3a = 3?

I may be missing something here, but I did not get the same ranges for a.
Original post by div curl F 0
Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't the range for a for a39\frac{a^3}{9} be 2a<32 \leq a < 3, so that all the solutions have continuity at the boundaries of the intervals?

That is, so 3a+29=a39 \frac{3a + 2}{9} = \frac{a^3}{9} when a=2a = 2, as it is for a39=3a6\frac{a^3}{9} = 3a - 6 when a=3a = 3?

I may be missing something here, but I did not get the same ranges for a.

Hm, we will have to wait for the paper to check properly, I have heard that the ranges were 0->2, 2->3 and 3->∞ but I misread the interval in the question as 1/3≤x≤1 instead of -1/3≤x≤1 so I cannot help there i am afraid hahaha, you are probably correct though but we shall see soon! If anything it is only 58 more days.
Reply 70

Spoiler

Oops! Forgot to put the square root sign, thanks for noticing!
Original post by PotterPhysics
You would think they would try to be original in such an important exam rather than giving loads of people the chance to get one or two free problems.

I think you're gloating a little (perhaps unknowingly?), despite preaching for something that would be in the interest of everyone.

Also, as has been established, not 'loads' of people know the problem.
(edited 8 years ago)
What actually was Q6? I believe I did that question, but I don't have a clue what the question was.
Original post by SilentPotato
What actually was Q6? I believe I did that question, but I don't have a clue what the question was.

The vectors question.
Is modular arithmetic part of the STEP syllabus? Because anyone who didn't know it would probably find Q8 very hard. There are avenues into the problem without it but not ones that are easy to see or execute for most candidates (and likely those who were good enough to see and do these methods would know modular arithmetic anyway).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jai Sandhu
The vectors question.

Oh yeah of course. That'll be another 5-10marks I can scrape. Cheers :smile:
I now understand why nobody has posted a solution yet.
Original post by TheMagicMan
Is modular arithmetic part of the STEP syllabus? Because anyone who didn't know it would probably find Q1 very hard. There are avenues into the problem without it but not ones that are easy to see or execute for most candidates (and likely those who were good enough to see and do these methods would know modular arithmetic anyway).
I don't think it is. I thought it was just A-Level Maths spec. + Proof by Induction? And are you talking about STEP II? I didn't take that, but did Q1 and STEP I and wouldn't see how modular arithmetic was useful for that, and found it easy to do without it.
(edited 8 years ago)
By the way in case you are interested I have found a totally non-modular solution to question 8 (I finally got the induction to work but not in the way I was expecting).

We prove the claim, by induction on k, that i=0ni\displaystyle\sum_{i=0}^n i divides i=0ni2k+1\displaystyle\sum_{i=0}^n i^{2k+1} for all k

The base case is easy. The induction hypothesis follows from the identity

n(n+1)^k = \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^k ^{(k+1)}C_i \sum_{j=1}^n j^i

. This is proved by a simple telescoping argument. And we are done!

EDIT: OK sorry the above was not entirely accurate but I fixed it
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SilentPotato
Oh yeah of course. That'll be another 5-10marks I can scrape. Cheers :smile:
I now understand why nobody has posted a solution yet.
I don't think it is. I thought it was just A-Level Maths spec. + Proof by Induction? And are you talking about STEP II? I didn't take that, but did Q1 and STEP I and wouldn't see how modular arithmetic was useful for that, and found it easy to do without it.

Sorry I mean Q8 on STEP I
Original post by TheMagicMan

This was Q8, not Q1.

Edit: Nevermind; saw your other post.
STEP I 2015 Q12

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending