The Student Room Group

Any Canadians studying at Sheffield Medicine?

Hi everyone! :smile: I am a Canadian (representing Toronto woohoo!) that just graduated high school and I will be applying for Medicine 2016 entry. I am really interested in going to Sheffield! (fingers crossed)

Are there any Canadians or people who know Canadians studying at Sheffield who can share their experiences? How are Canadians perceived? Are most of them gap year students? What are your plans after you graduate? Did you put all your marks from grade 9 to 12 on UCAS application?

I know thats a lot of questions :colondollar: Thanks so much!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mangobear
Hi everyone! :smile: I am a Canadian (representing Toronto woohoo!) that just graduated high school and I will be applying for Medicine 2016 entry. I am really interested in going to Sheffield! (fingers crossed)

Are there any Canadians or people who know Canadians studying at Sheffield who can share their experiences? How are Canadians perceived? Are most of them gap year students? What are your plans after you graduate? Did you put all your marks from grade 9 to 12 on UCAS application?

I know thats a lot of questions :colondollar: Thanks so much!

Hello. :smile: There are three Canadians in my year that I can think of, though we're just going into fifth year now so I don't think any of them will actually be around by the time you get here. One - who is a good friend of mine - was a grad when he started here; the other two were some of the youngest in the year when they started (only 17), so definitely not gap year students. They're all perceived as lovely, but I think that's more because they're nice people than particularly because they're Canadian.

Besides Canadians, there are loads of other international students here (as there are at most medical schools, I think), so you definitely won't stick out like a sore thumb or anything. Hope that helps a bit!
Reply 2
Original post by *pitseleh*
Hello. :smile: There are three Canadians in my year that I can think of, though we're just going into fifth year now so I don't think any of them will actually be around by the time you get here. One - who is a good friend of mine - was a grad when he started here; the other two were some of the youngest in the year when they started (only 17), so definitely not gap year students. They're all perceived as lovely, but I think that's more because they're nice people than particularly because they're Canadian.

Besides Canadians, there are loads of other international students here (as there are at most medical schools, I think), so you definitely won't stick out like a sore thumb or anything. Hope that helps a bit!

Awesome! I really hope I get in!

Sorry, just two more questions :smile: How is the weather in Sheffield? And are there specific accommodations just for medical/international students?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mangobear
Awesome! I really hope I get in!

Sorry, just two more questions :smile: How is the weather in Sheffield? And are there specific accommodations just for medical/international students?

It's warm enough in the summer, usually pretty cold in the winter but I'm sure it's got nothing on Canada in that respect! There's no specific accommodation just for international students, but a couple of the halls do seem to attract more international students. Medics just mix in with everyone else - no specific medics-only accommodation. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by *pitseleh*
It's warm enough in the summer, usually pretty cold in the winter but I'm sure it's got nothing on Canada in that respect! There's no specific accommodation just for international students, but a couple of the halls do seem to attract more international students. Medics just mix in with everyone else - no specific medics-only accommodation. :smile:

Thanks so much! That was very helpful! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending