The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FREYA2898
How was the admissions day ? Did they ask you questions from personal statement ??? I have mine this Saturday

Posted from TSR Mobile

Disclaimer here, all of this refers to my specific experience with the CS department and may or may not reflect experiences elsewhere.

Frankly the 'Interview' is a complete misnomer. All it really consists of is a two way chat between you and someone from the department. I got a Bio-informaticist which was great because I do Bio, but frankly it doesn't matter as you can just talk about computery stuff. There are two main questions; Why Newcastle and Why Computer Science. You might get asked about some subjects you do. I forgot to mention Biotech in my PS and so he asked about Biotech, as he had a vested interest in getting me onto his modules! I think they use it as an opportunity to ensure you are there because you love computers, and not because you love money. Just use it as an opportunity to show off 'brand You' or whatever the catchy phrase is nowadays. One thing to note is that they don't give you a time on registration, you just go there as a stop on the tour and get sent to the right person.
(edited 8 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by tecwhizz
Disclaimer here, all of this refers to my specific experience with the CS department and may or may not reflect experiences elsewhere.

Frankly the 'Interview' is a complete misnomer. All it really consists of is a two way chat between you and someone from the department. I got a Bio-informaticist which was great because I do Bio, but frankly it doesn't matter as you can just talk about computery stuff. There are two main questions; Why Newcastle and Why Computer Science. You might get asked about some subjects you do. I forgot to mention Biotech in my PS and so he asked about Biotech, as he had a vested interest in getting me onto his modules! I think they use it as an opportunity to ensure you are there because you love computers, and not because you love money. Just use it as an opportunity to show off 'brand You' or whatever the catchy phrase is nowadays. One thing to note is that they don't give you a time on registration, you just go there as a stop on the tour and get sent to the right person.

How long was the interview ?? And thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How long was the interview ?? And thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oof, if I had to say, it would be about 10-15 minutes but it does go quite quickly.
Original post by tecwhizz
Hi All,

I've just got my offer through for Computer Science after going to the applicant day. I read somewhere that a few years ago reduced offers were made off the back of interviews and I was wondering whether that was still happening. I obviously didn't get a reduced offer but I would be interested to see what my performance was like as if the reduced offers are handed out then I clearly wasn't that good!

Hi, congrats on the offer :smile:

I passed your questions on to the School of Computing Science and they said that interview performance doesn't affect the level of offer :smile: If you'd like to get some feedback you can contact them on [email protected] and I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

If you do contact them, make sure you include your full name and UCAS ID in the e-mail. It'll make it easier for them to track down any notes relating to your application/interview and so you'll get a quicker response :smile:

All the best,

Persephone
Hi :smile:

If you send us a PM with your full name, UCAS ID and which course(s) you applied for we will ask admissions to look into it :smile:

All the best

Persephone
Hi is it too late to apply for partners programme ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 466
Hi,

I have few questions regarding Biomedical Sciences and the transfer to Medicine after Phase 1:

How many applications have you gotten this year for Biomedical Sciences and how many offers do you usually make?

Can you transfer to Biochemistry easily after Phase 1, even though you were originally made an offer for Biomedical Sciences, and can you apply to transfer to Medicine and Biochemistry at the same time (i.e. if you don't get an offer for Medicine, can you still transfer to Biochemistry even though you originally applied for Biomedical Sciences)?

How many students are usually able to achieve the average of 75% in Phase 1 of Biomedical Sciences?

What is the average UKCAT score of the students that have successfully transferred to Medicine?

Thank you so much!
Hi is it too late to apply for partners programme ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Yes, I'm afraid applications onto the PARTNERS programme for 2016 entry have closed.

There's more information on the application process here.

All the best,

Persephone
Last week I was given confirmation that I'd been accepted on to the PARTNERS program and that I need to wait to hear back from the course admissions I sent my application on the 6th of December and I was wondering when I'd hear back as Newcastle University is basically my only choice due to medical reasons and family commitments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BethanyS22
Last week I was given confirmation that I'd been accepted on to the PARTNERS program and that I need to wait to hear back from the course admissions I sent my application on the 6th of December and I was wondering when I'd hear back as Newcastle University is basically my only choice due to medical reasons and family commitments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Bethany,

Please PM us your student number, full name and the course you applied for and we could look into this for you :smile:

Best,
Christina
I have applied to do combined honours French and Geography at Newcastle and have got an offer. I was just wondering if there is anyone doing this combination and whether they enjoy it or not. I have not been able to find anyone doing this combination, even at other universities I have looked at!

Thank you
Reply 471
Hi, I was late in adding NCU to my choices. I was asked to send off my qualifications to admissions. Just wondering how long it will take to hear back if I am being considered? Thanks xx
Just got an unconditional offer from Newcastle, anyone else applying to do Linguistics
Hi just wondering when can we start applying for scholarships etc.?
Unfortunately my finances will be very nip and tuck as to whether or not I can join; and annoyingly that was the question I forgot to ask when I visited. Yes, silly me, I know. So could you give me a ballpark figure as to how much I'd have to pay per year for the accommodation?
Original post by Andy98
Unfortunately my finances will be very nip and tuck as to whether or not I can join; and annoyingly that was the question I forgot to ask when I visited. Yes, silly me, I know. So could you give me a ballpark figure as to how much I'd have to pay per year for the accommodation?

I am not a rep, but here's the link to the accommodation section of the Newcastle Uni website (http://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/students/accommodation/), just click on a name of the accommodation and then "cost". Newcastle is pretty cheap, both in terms of maintenance costs and accommodation. Some rooms are as cheap as £80 per week (St Mary's college).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mcc0810
Hi, I was late in adding NCU to my choices. I was asked to send off my qualifications to admissions. Just wondering how long it will take to hear back if I am being considered? Thanks xx

Hi,

Which course did you apply for? :smile:

Persephone
Original post by titch786
Hi just wondering when can we start applying for scholarships etc.?

Hi,

There's information on available scholarships on our website :smile: Applications for Promise Scholarships are now open, whereas Opportunity Scholarships and Access Scholarships are automatically awarded to eligible students.

There are also subject specific scholarships which might have their own application process.

All the best,

Persephone
I have an offer for Modern Languages and Business Studies but it doesn't include EPQ. I know other people from my sixth form have it included so was this a mistake?
Original post by nelizabeth_
I have an offer for Modern Languages and Business Studies but it doesn't include EPQ. I know other people from my sixth form have it included so was this a mistake?

Hi,

If you send us a PM with your full name and UCAS ID (plus the name of your course so that we have everything in one message) we can asked the admissions officer to look into it :smile:

Thanks

Persephone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending