The Student Room Group

Mens societies at university

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NeeceLondon
Well, feminist/women societies are needed as females are oppressed far greater than men, this does not mean that men are not oppressed in some instances but it means that they are not victims of prejudice/discrimination to the same extent of women. Men can also be affected by sexism, however men tend to benefit more from this sexism than women.

I think many boys, most likely including the one in this article, aren't exactly looking for some type of competition but they just seem to lack understanding. He has identified one or two 'male issues' and is crying out that this is all so unfair that there is a FemSoc to discuss female issues. The fact is, females have more issues when it comes to sexism, many of which really only affect females and perhaps can not be dealt with outside of the society as efficiently if not for the society. 'Male issues' on the other hand, often can be dealt with in other ways OR are not male-only issues.

Why does it even matter to you if men get a society? Like how does that make life any worse for women?
Reply 21
They'll get together and **** in pint glasses and play soggy biscuit. You ain't missing much, ladies.
Who ****ing cares really...
Original post by FelicityMorse
Do specific male mental health groups need to be set up then rather than male issue groups? Feminist groups won't be talking about mental health in the same way...mental health is perhaps about something the individual needs to work on, whereas the onus in feminist groups is on there being problems with society

There are already existing mental health organisations and services, I don't think there needs to be a society. These organisations/services should focus more on male health issues which I'm sure can be done in a number of different ways. I just don't see why a men's society is needed to discuss the mental health of men.
Im surprised there isn't more men's groups tbh
Original post by DiddyDec
So how can we deal with the issue of the ever growing male suicide rate, considering that the current mental health services are failing?

I don't profess to be an expert on mental health, suicide, male mental health or male suicide. Neither do I claim to know the accurate up-to-date statistics. I am saying simply that the relevant organisations or services can deal with this, they should be working on efficient campaigns to battle the rise in male suicide. How do you believe male societies can deal with this issue?

Original post by IamLiquid
Yes, women are so "oppressed" that's why the make up the majority of university students.

Oh yeah sorry, I forgot that women going to university shows that the whole of institutionalised sexism no longer exists. What possible other female issues could there be? Surely oppression of women can't exist in a society where the majority of university students are females. Thank you for that logical and enlightening comment.

Original post by lucaf
What does it matter if men have less issues? They still do have issues, and so there is no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to form groups to discuss them. The fact that they are not taken seriously enough for people to thik they are worth discussing is perhaps the biggest reason why they are worth discussing.

I don't need you reminding me that men 'still do have issues', I'm pretty sure I've already said men have issues. I've never said they weren't worth discussing. Also, I never actually said that 'male societies' shouldn't exist or shouldn't be allowed. I simply said that I personally don't see the need for them.
There are already existing mental health organisations and services, I don't think there needs to be a society. These organisations/services should focus more on male health issues which I'm sure can be done in a number of different ways. I just don't see why a men's society is needed to discuss the mental health of men.

The issue is making it even, if women can have a dedicated society for women specific issues, men should also have a proportionately sized dedicated society for men specific issues. Even if there are less issues for men there are still issues.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if some people wanted a men's society to have a good moan at the stuff some feminists pull, there's a reason why egalitarian is becoming a more popular term to describe someone who wants equal treatment of the genders.
Original post by Zargabaath
Why does it even matter to you if men get a society? Like how does that make life any worse for women?

It doesn't particularly matter to me, I hadn't even thought of the prospect before seeing this thread. It most likely wouldn't make life for women any worse at all, unless of course the members are the annoying 'meninist' types. Honestly though, I'm just giving an opinion and joining in the discussion - this isn't a huge issue for me.
I understand that women assaulting men at uni is another thing they may want to discuss as well as male circumcision
Original post by Helloworld_95

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if some people wanted a men's society to have a good moan at the stuff some feminists pull.

Some people may want a male society so they can moan about feminists haha great, that has made me change opinion. Seriously though, out of curiosity what type of things do feminists 'pull' which would cause men to want to moan together?
Original post by Zargabaath

This. There's no real arguments against males having a society, although I'm interested to see what rabbit people pull out of the hat..
Original post by Quady
Could you hit me up with a cool graph?

Edit - like this:
http://cebmh.warne.ox.ac.uk/csr/images/msui6811.gif

But perhaps one that actually demonstrates your claim...
:/

In recent years the problem has been growing not falling. Your graph even shows it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't profess to be an expert on mental health, suicide, male mental health or male suicide. Neither do I claim to know the accurate up-to-date statistics. I am saying simply that the relevant organisations or services can deal with this, they should be working on efficient campaigns to battle the rise in male suicide. How do you believe male societies can deal with this issue?

Men quite often find it difficult to seek help in the first place so having a group of understanding people with whom you could talk to about your problems could very beneficial. They could also provide friendship to those who are quite simply just lonely.

Do you not think that everything possible should be done including male societies?

Why shouldn't men be able to get together in society? Is it just because they face as many problems as women therefore their problems do not matter? And why does it bother you if they do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by zippity.doodah
wanna bet on how far it's stayed the same? or is consistent with the UK's demographics?

The trend seems to correlate to 1990, but diverges to 1998

Since then (what 17 years ago) the rate has slumped by 1/3rd back to the level of the mid 70s.

And the jump only relly effected those in the 15-24 age bracket, to a lesser extent those 25-44, but for men older than that, there has been a decline since the late 60s, and quite a drop for men over age 65...
Original post by Quady
The trend seems to correlate to 1990, but diverges to 1998

Since then (what 17 years ago) the rate has slumped by 1/3rd back to the level of the mid 70s.

And the jump only relly effected those in the 15-24 age bracket, to a lesser extent those 25-44, but for men older than that, there has been a decline since the late 60s, and quite a drop for men over age 65...

what? that graph isn't even comparing the contrast between the amount of male and female suicides
Original post by DiddyDec
Men quite often find it difficult to seek help in the first place so having a group of understanding people with whom you could talk to about your problems could very beneficial. They could also provide friendship to those who are quite simply just lonely.

Do you not think that everything possible should be done including male societies?

Why shouldn't men be able to get together in society? Is it just because they face as many problems as women therefore their problems do not matter? And why does it bother you if they do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I think everything should be done to combat suicide and mental health. I just think the solution lies more in actual suicide preventative organisations and mental health services than in a male society. A mental health service will have the ability to hold meetings to get men to discuss their issues around professionals.

I never said men shouldn't be able to get together in a society. I don't understand why you would think that I'd be of the opinion that men facing as many problems as women would been those problems don't matter...

To make this clear for the third time, I have already acknowledged that men have problems. I have never said that those problems do not matter. I have not said that men should not be allowed to have male-only societies. I've just said that I would roll my eyes if my university ever got a male society - and that is true, I would. It doesn't mean I would campaign against it's existence and it doesn't mean that it would bother me for the rest of my time at uni.
Reply 36
what? that graph isn't even comparing the contrast between the amount of male and female suicides

Why does it need to?

The poster said the rise in mens suicide rate.

You need to go back over 50 years to see a rise...
Original post by Quady
Why does it need to?

The poster said the rise in mens suicide rate.

You need to go back over 50 years to see a rise...

I didn't show you that poster as if there was a rise, I showed it to you to show the difference between the amount of male suicides and female suicides.
Some people may want a male society so they can moan about feminists haha great, that has made me change opinion. Seriously though, out of curiosity what type of things do feminists 'pull' which would cause men to want to moan together?

There have been at least a couple of instances where feminist groups stormed lectures about men's rights and generally berated people who have fought for men's rights
. A lot of people would argue that extreme feminists groups are playing victim more than is fair, e.g. the girl at Columbia (I think) who claimed she was raped by a certain man so carried her mattress around with her (it was found that her claim was false but she still carried the mattress around), or some will still accept traditional gender roles if it favours them e.g. conscription, who picks up the bill on dates, a man should never hit a woman, women deserve more maternity leave even when taking into account need for medical leave. Some would also argue that the wage gap comes under this but frankly it's too complicated an issue for someone who isn't in the know to comment.
Reply 39
I didn't show you that poster as if there was a rise, I showed it to you to show the difference between the amount of male suicides and female suicides.

Oh right.

I didn't ask?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending