The Student Room Group

Not applying for Oxbridge even though I have the grades?

I'm a mature student (21), and have the standard A*A*A A-levels (already done my A2s too). I'm thinking of applying to uni this autumn. Still deciding on my subject.

However, despite my grades, I don't really want to go for Oxbridge for some reason at all. I've visited a few times and had friends who went there, and I don't like the student culture (it seems a bit "quirky" and old-fashioned and not as down to earth as somewhere like Leeds or Nottingham) and don't feel I like it even though I like the elitism. I also largely want to go for the "student experience" and though I'd be able to keep up with the work I doubt I'd enjoy the (very) heavy academic workload all that much. And I've visited the mature colleges and none of them seemed that great college wise (I don't think I'd fit in so well in a non mature college).

Is it a bad idea to write off applying to Oxbridge?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Daisy21
I'm a mature student (21), and have the standard A*A*A A-levels (already done my A2s too). I'm thinking of applying to uni this autumn. Still deciding on my subject.

However, despite my grades, I don't really want to go for Oxbridge for some reason at all. I've visited a few times and had friends who went there, and I don't like the student culture (it seems a bit "quirky" and not as down to earth as somewhere like Leeds or Nottingham) and don't feel I would fit in. I also largely want to go for the "student experience" and though I'd be able to keep up with the work I doubt I'd enjoy the (very) heavy academic workload all that much. And I've visited the mature colleges and none of them seemed that great college wise (I don't think I'd fit in so well in a non mature college).

Not a bad idea at all, Oxbridge is my idea of hell
If you already feel you won't enjoy it, don't apply. Only apply to unis you'd actually be happy attending
Reply 3
Original post by orange crush
Not a bad idea at all, Oxbridge is my idea of hell

Why? :smile:

I don't mind posh people or anything like that personally, but even though I'm largely going to uni to get a degree the high focus on academics and old fashioned tradition doesn't appeal.
Reply 4
Original post by yabbayabba
If you already feel you won't enjoy it, don't apply. Only apply to unis you'd actually be happy attending

Yeah, I'm going to go round open days (did that last year too) and make a list. I'm just wondering if I'm seeing it from a biased perspective.

I also want to stay in/close to London if possible
Original post by Daisy21
Why? :smile:

I don't mind posh people or anything like that personally, but even though I'm largely going to uni to get a degree the high focus on academics and old fashioned tradition doesn't appeal.

Well first of all I wanted to study a very specific course which isn't offered at Oxbridge.

And the other problem is that I wanted to live in a major city. To me my general wellbeing and happiness is more important to me than the uni I get my degree from, so I preferred to live in the Scottish capital than somewhere like Oxford that's just work, work, work.
Original post by Daisy21

However, despite my grades, I don't really want to go for Oxbridge for some reason at all. I've visited a few times and had friends who went there, and I don't like the student culture (it seems a bit "quirky" and old-fashioned and not as down to earth as somewhere like Leeds or Nottingham) and don't feel I like it even though I like the elitism. I also largely want to go for the "student experience" and though I'd be able to keep up with the work I doubt I'd enjoy the (very) heavy academic workload all that much. And I've visited the mature colleges and none of them seemed that great college wise (I don't think I'd fit in so well in a non mature college).

Not at all. There are other Universities that are just as qualitative and suitable for the more laid back people. If you think about it, Oxbridge is nothing more than a label, a brand, and because of its label, it assumes popularity as "the place to be". In truth, you should go somewhere you feel more comfortable and happy to devote 4+ years of your life so it is time well spent. And if so, the end product will be the same as it is for Oxbridge.

Follow your senses. Good luck :wink:
Reply 7
If you don't like it then don't go....why is this even a question? You shouldn't go to somewhere you don't like because of its reputation because you will have to live there.
If you don't like it, don't apply to go there. Simple. You'll be spending 3+ years of your life there so make sure it's somewhere you'll feel comfortable.
Reply 9
Original post by orange crush
Well first of all I wanted to study a very specific course which isn't offered at Oxbridge.

And the other problem is that I wanted to live in a major city. To me my general wellbeing and happiness is more important to me than the uni I get my degree from, so I preferred to live in the Scottish capital than somewhere like Oxford that's just work, work, work.

Yep, I'm thinking of applying for Management and you can only apply for the combined course at Oxford (in which case all my other apps would have to be for Econ) and can't apply for it directly at Cambridge at all.

I know, I've been to both cities a lot of times and they're lovely but seem a bit boring (not to mention Oxford seems a lot less safe at night than it used to be!) compared to somewhere like London :dontknow:
Reply 10
Original post by Pilate VII
Not at all. There are other Universities that are just as qualitative and suitable for the more laid back people. If you think about it, Oxbridge is nothing more than a label, a brand, and because of its label, it assumes popularity as "the place to be". In truth, you should go somewhere you feel more comfortable and happy to devote 4+ years of your life so it is time well spent. And if so, the end product will be the same as it is for Oxbridge.

Follow your senses. Good luck :wink:

Thanks, good advice :smile: True, I'm just wondering if I won't regret having that label or if I'm seeing it as being more academic/old-fashioned than it actually is.

beckyo96
If you don't like it then don't go....why is this even a question? You shouldn't go to somewhere you don't like because of its reputation because you will have to live there.

Duncan2012
If you don't like it, don't apply to go there. Simple. You'll be spending 3+ years of your life there so make sure it's somewhere you'll feel comfortable.

I'm not sure if the perception I have of the place (mostly based on open days etc.) is entirely accurate or if I might regret not having at least tried for the "Oxbridge brand" on my CV :dontknow:

Maybe some Oxbridge students could shed some light on this?
Original post by Daisy21

I'm general, no not really. What degree would you be looking at undertaking? As you said in/around London Imperial would be next best thing if not on par for STEM degrees.
There are many alternatives to Oxbridge that are of the same if not even higher calibre, also depends on what degree you want to do. LSE and Imperial are miles ahead in some courses and faculties (Economics and STEM). For humanities and other 'waffley' degrees, Oxbridge is undoubtedly number 1, but institutions such as Durham and UCL are not too far behind.

However, choosing Leeds or Nottingham over Oxbridge? No
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Daisy21
Yeah, I'm going to go round open days (did that last year too) and make a list. I'm just wondering if I'm seeing it from a biased perspective.

I also want to stay in/close to London if possible

Every perspective is biased. But your opinion is the most important as you're the one who has to go to the uni for 3/4 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Iridann
I'm general, no not really. What degree would you be looking at undertaking? As you said in/around London Imperial would be next best thing if not on par for STEM degrees.

Management (again not something most people would go for with my grades in decent subjects, but almost certainly what I want to do). :smile:

MrBowcat
There are many alternatives to Oxbridge that are of the same and even better calibre, also depends on what degree you want to do. LSE and Imperial are significantly better and more prestigious in some courses.

However, choosing Leeds or Nottingham over Oxbridge? No

Management. I'd prefer a London uni tbh
It depends what course you're studying; there's a large disparity in workloads so bear this in mind.

Cambridge is okay and you'll find that most of the people are in fact down to Earth.
Original post by Daisy21
Management (again not something most people would go for with my grades in decent subjects, but almost certainly what I want to do). :smile:

Management plus London.... the choice is obvious.
Original post by Pilate VII
Oxbridge is nothing more than a label

Could you explain?
Original post by Daisy21

Out of curiosity, what student experiences do you think you'd have elsewhere but not at Oxbridge?
Original post by Daisy21

I would've considered for London unis LSE or UCL but I'm not sure how strong the UCL management degree is? As you want a combined course see how many econ modules they offer as you could pick all the econ modules maybe? Otherwise maybe consider an Econ degree and select all of the Management modules? Bit of a hard choice you have to be fair aha.

No matter what you would pick out of Oxbridge, LSE or UCL you would have good business/career links.

Quick Reply

Latest