The Student Room Group

OCR FP2 (not mei) 22/06/15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BecauseFP
Does anyone have a list of the grade boundaries for FP2 are? I'm trying to work out what the best, worst and average boundaries for an A are.

June 2014: A*-62; A-56; B-50
June 2013: A*-63; A-56; B-49
Janu 2013: A*-68; A-64; B-58
June 2012: A*-57; A-51; B-45
Janu 2012: A*-56; A-49; B-42
June 2011: A*-58; A-52; B-46
Janu 2011: A*-64; A-56; B-48
June 2010: A*-57; A-52; B-47

So If you can drop 15 marks and be fairly sure you'll get an A. Apart from January 2013, which was an easy paper.

Avg for A*: 61
Avg for A: 55
Avg for B: 48
Original post by NoHetero
...I'm still not getting it :colondollar: I must be having a brain fart moment, its probably easy, its only two marks! Can you explain it in full?

Okay so you can re-arrange 12(35)2=I1I3 \dfrac{1}{2} \Big( \dfrac{3}{5} \Big)^2 = I_1 - I_3 , similarly 14(35)4=I3I5 \dfrac{1}{4} \Big( \dfrac{3}{5} \Big)^4 = I_3 - I_5 , and 16(35)6=I5I7 \dfrac{1}{6} \Big( \dfrac{3}{5} \Big)^6 = I_5 - I_7

Then if you add them all up you all the integrals cancel out except from the first and last one. So the sum to infinity it just the first integral since the last integral tends to 0 as n tends to infinity.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SilentPotato

So If you can drop 15 marks and be fairly sure you'll get an A. Apart from January 2013, which was an easy paper.

Thanks.
Original post by lllllllllll
Okay so you can re-arrange 12(35)2=I1I3 \dfrac{1}{2} \Big( \dfrac{3}{5} \Big)^2 = I_1 - I_3 , similarly 14(35)4=I3I5 \dfrac{1}{4} \Big( \dfrac{3}{5} \Big)^4 = I_3 - I_5 , and 16(35)6=I5I7 \dfrac{1}{6} \Big( \dfrac{3}{5} \Big)^6 = I_5 - I_7

Then if you add them all up you all the integrals cancel out except from the first and last one. So the sum to infinity it just the first integral since the last integral tends to 0 as n tends to infinity.

WOW, now I feel stupid. :redface: My excuse is that I'm realllly tired and the mark scheme just confused me. Thanks!
Omg I'm so bad with polar coordinates. I only just realised that the polar plane is exactly the same dimensionally as an x,y-plane :facepalm:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BecauseFP
Don't worry, Taylor series isn't on the spec for FP2, though I would help if I could.

Is anyone here sitting S3? If memory serves, just over 300 people a year sit it.

Yeah I am, I cant seem to find anyone else though!
Reply 46
Omg I'm so bad with polar coordinates. I only just realised that the polar plane is exactly the same dimensionally as an x,y-plane :facepalm:

Wut how were you converting between polar and x-y?

You shouldnt take into account the January years as those are generally full of retakes etc and so the grade boundaries will likely be higher, take for example Jan 2013 for which the paper was not easy enough in comparison to others to warrant those boundaries.
Original post by TVIO
Wut how were you converting between polar and x-y?

I knew how to convert, I just didn't realise that both polar and cartesian planes were dimensionally identical.

Original post by Jai Sandhu
You shouldnt take into account the January years as those are generally full of retakes etc and so the grade boundaries will likely be higher, take for example Jan 2013 for which the paper was not easy enough in comparison to others to warrant those boundaries.

Yes, and January isn't part of hay-fever season
(edited 8 years ago)

I hate polar coordinates with a passion. The fp2 stuff is fine but they're just so grim and my brain just doesn't work with them :L feeling your pain

Yeah I guess, I was just posting them because I had them and the guy asked for them. But on the other hand January 2012 has the lowest boundaries, and most of the paper was fine as long as you understood what you were doing.
Anyway, need probably 85%+ in this paper to get an A* so really hoping it goes my way.
How did everyone find Q6 June 2013? I think I only got it because they showed us the formula, if they asked me to find a formula I don't think I would have got it :L

THANK GOD they didn't :tongue:
Anyway, need probably 85%+ in this paper to get an A* so really hoping it goes my way.

Same here. I screwed up FP3 but thankfully took an extra module.

How did everyone find Q6 June 2013? I think I only got it because they showed us the formula, if they asked me to find a formula I don't think I would have got it :L

THANK GOD they didn't :tongue:

I hate those questions so much. I'd have got it if it wasn't given to us, but not in that form - I wouldn't have put it as a sum.

Spoiler

Same here. I screwed up FP3 but thankfully took an extra module.

I hate those questions so much. I'd have got it if it wasn't given to us, but not in that form - I wouldn't have put it as a sum.

Spoiler

Yeah, that's perfectly fine.

I took D2 as a side module, unfortunately I messed it up :tongue:
how do you know when it's + or - for those proof questions e.g d/dx(cosh^-1x)? Thanks
Original post by gothmog827
how do you know when it's + or - for those proof questions e.g d/dx(cosh^-1x)? Thanks

Stuff like the gradient of the graph, the fact that say coshx cannot be negative etc
Reply 57
god I feel so unprepared for this exam
I don't know why I can't fit my head around like half of these topics
...I don't know anything extra I can do for FP2 at the moment. Any ideas? :redface:

Original post by ms8061
god I feel so unprepared for this exam
I don't know why I can't fit my head around like half of these topics

Maybe it's because you're over thinking most of these topics? A lot of them are a lot simpler when written on paper
...I don't know anything extra I can do for FP2 at the moment. Any ideas? :redface:

Maybe it's because you're over thinking most of these topics? A lot of them are a lot simpler when written on paper

Relax if you have done all the past papers, if not, do more past papers :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending