The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

So, how good is the computer science course here?

I mean content wise, how interesting and useful/real world applicable is the stuff you cover over the years? I've already heard about issues with lecturers and tedious admin stuff, but I mean once you really get into it, how is it?
I personally think it's great. I've finished my first year and we already learnt a bit of C, a lot of Java, some HTML, some PHP and some JavaScript. Other engineering courses teach C++ as well.

Depends on what kind of CS you do though.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by The_Deputy
I personally think it's great. I've finished my first year and we already learnt a bit of C, a lot of Java, some HTML, some PHP and some JavaScript. Other engineering courses teach C++ as well.

Well, I was looking at the regular BSC course, but can you tell me about the one you're doing and if you have any knowledge of any of the other courses?
Original post by ludd-sama
I mean content wise, how interesting and useful/real world applicable is the stuff you cover over the years? I've already heard about issues with lecturers and tedious admin stuff, but I mean once you really get into it, how is it?

It has its issues, but has improved since my time, literally so many complaints.....most important thing is learn java and get a head start on object orientated programming using bluej if you can.

If you a top of everything and do the coursework on time, go to lectures and do things properly then you should do fine.
No idea, going to start next year. Very looking forward to it :smile:

What else do you learn in first year except from programming languages?
Original post by ludd-sama
Well, I was looking at the regular BSC course, but can you tell me about the one you're doing and if you have any knowledge of any of the other courses?

I do Computer Science & Multimedia. I do every module that someone studying straight Computer Science would do in their first year except for one which is "Introduction to Multimedia." This was the case for my 1st year, not sure on my 2nd year until September.

The four modules in your first semester will be:

Procedural Programming - Gets you into programming if you've never done it before (Java) - you'll probably have Paul Curzon, he's a brilliant lecturer.

Computer Systems & Networks - a LOT of content about how a computer actually functions
Logic & Discrete Structures - essentially a maths module on Box Proofs and Probability
Professional & Research Themes - I and many others found this module to be a waste of time.. it's basically a module that helps you work as a team together and do things like create a video project (Which is worth 70% of the module) - no exam all coursework

2nd Semester:

Fundamentals of Web Tech - Website design and how servers work
Object-Oriented Programming - the next step in your Java journey, this is probably the hardest module
Information System Analysis - No exam for this module, all coursework
Automata and Formal Languages - I didn't do this module so I can't say what this module had, content wise

The modules are listed on the Queen Mary site.
http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/80043.html
My additional Multimedia course covers stuff like graphics and colour in space etc, which I believe to the future of IT jobs (think the Microsoft Hololens, and virtual reality)

Original post by lllllllllll
What else do you learn in first year except from programming languages?

As above, there is a module where you learn to work in a team, its a very easy module which I found useless because it's mostly for those that lack confidence in being in a team.

Apart from languages, you learn about how a computer system actually works (e.g how data is transferred from the HDD to RAM, what the bus is, what types of bus there are, how hard drives work etc). But computer science is essentially about learning languages and scripts though.

We got our results on Monday and I got a First in all my modules so any more questions feel free to ask.
(edited 8 years ago)
I just checked and again in 2nd year I will be doing all the same modules as a straight Computer Scientist apart from 1 module. Same again for final year (although its a bit different in you can actually choose the modules you want).. so the Multimedia joint option may be a worth looking at..

Queen Mary is a good foundation I feel for getting your undergraduate degree.. I wouldn't do masters here though.. I'd go to Imperial London for that (well that's what I plan to do anyway, I don't know much about what QM offers in terms of it's Master's course)
Reply 8
HI,

Whats the timetable like for you? I have a weekday job and they want me to stay on so im trying to find out things like how many days a week your in etc. Can you help/take a picture of your timetable?

Thanks.
Original post by ec14032
HI,

Whats the timetable like for you? I have a weekday job and they want me to stay on so im trying to find out things like how many days a week your in etc. Can you help/take a picture of your timetable?

Thanks.

You don't necessarily need to attend the classes, though it may be needed for some classes, picking up coursework, for in class test and labs are pretty much complusory where you must attend and get your coursework marked then and there.
Original post by ec14032
HI,

Thanks.

You'll have about 4 hours of lectures for 4 days a week in semester 1. Then in semester 2 it's 5 days a week but spread out more so like one day you'd only have one lecture (2 hours).

Each lecture is 2 hours long - sounds long but it's the perfect length I feel .. 1 hour is not long enough to understand new concepts.

BUT, you'll be set a lot of coursework and assignments. A part time job is do-able - I used to work weekends and Friday doing 24 hours, but I started to fall behind because it was too much. I advise if you want to do part time, do maybe just 2 days a week, or 24 hours max. I attached one of my semester time tables for you.

Timetable.png

EDIT: I forgot, there's also compulsory labs you need to attend where you complete exercises that go towards your coursework mark. These are 2 hours each but you can leave early if you finish early. They're included on my attachment.
(edited 8 years ago)
I do Computer Science & Multimedia. I do every module that someone studying straight Computer Science would do in their first year except for one which is "Introduction to Multimedia." This was the case for my 1st year, not sure on my 2nd year until September.

Procedural Programming - Gets you into programming if you've never done it before (Java) - you'll probably have Paul Curzon, he's a brilliant lecturer.

Computer Systems & Networks - a LOT of content about how a computer actually functions
Logic & Discrete Structures - essentially a maths module on Box Proofs and Probability
Professional & Research Themes - I and many others found this module to be a waste of time.. it's basically a module that helps you work as a team together and do things like create a video project (Which is worth 70% of the module) - no exam all coursework

2nd Semester:

Object-Oriented Programming - the next step in your Java journey, this is probably the hardest module
Automata and Formal Languages - I didn't do this module so I can't say what this module had, content wise

My additional Multimedia course covers stuff like graphics and colour in space etc, which I believe to the future of IT jobs (think the Microsoft Hololens, and virtual reality)

As above, there is a module where you learn to work in a team, its a very easy module which I found useless because it's mostly for those that lack confidence in being in a team.

Apart from languages, you learn about how a computer system actually works (e.g how data is transferred from the HDD to RAM, what the bus is, what types of bus there are, how hard drives work etc). But computer science is essentially about learning languages and scripts though.

We got our results on Monday and I got a First in all my modules so any more questions feel free to ask.

does Professional & Research Themes module count towards your final grade and do they put you in groups or they let you select your own?
Reply 12
I am thinking of applying to Queen Mary but honestly I probably won't (i made a thread about this too just now)
It is pretty low on the rankings and I'mm already fluent in Java and proficient in C#, Python, HTML and CSS so... idk xD
First of all congrats on your First on all your modules :smile:

OK so this course - Computer Science & Multimedia - is what I was thinking of doing. However after reading what you have just said and whats on the Queen Marys website, it seems to be that there isn't many multimedia topics to study.

When they say 'with Multimedia' - do they just mean, it's a small chunk ?

Also I have looked at the Multimedia Arts Technology course which seems more enticing as you get to do some of the computer science basics however it is based mostly around multimedia production and media design.

I am confused as to what to pick because on one hand, I love being creative and enjoy filmmaking and graphic design but just recently I wanted to discover how you can communicate with a computer to make it do what you want.

They want our personal statements in by December to do a final check and I am just so worried if I make the wrong choices on UCAS. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank-you so much !

2nd Semester:

And I am back.... with another question.

I applied to straight CS courses and got an offer from QM and Kings - I am at Kings, 1st year student and I don't like it. I have been sick for over a week and I am so behind and it's only my 3rd week. I have been feeling crap in general so my mood is a downer. Plus I stink at the math/logic modules and the people I have met on the course all do pretty well.. and ew - they enjoy Math! I can stand some of it but not 'love' it. OK so I will do some Math if I have to but those lectures give me nightmares.

So right now I am contemplating about moving to QM next year to do the Multimedia Arts Technology course - think I should? I have read about the course in-depth and OMG it is mega creative... now that is my sanctuary. In CS Kings, there is way too much math and it's making me so miserable... nothing creative. I did Media, Sociology and ICT for A levels - the best 2 years of my life to be honest. I am starting to hate uni cuz I don't feel like this is what I want.

If you have done the course great, can I have some advice on what to do? Even if you haven't, it would be nice to know where you area and if you have decided to take on the Computer route or the Media route - both are enticing but like you, I can never leave my creative side.

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending