The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Kingston
London College Of Communication

Those are two of the most popular ones.
Reply 2
Thanks. What about Leeds, Sheffield and Notts?
Reply 3
I've applied for university of ulster (Belfast)- visual communications, the lecturers are very driven, the standard of the pupil's work is very high and you get first hand experience in the industry and a lot of time with lecturers.
Reply 4
With the London unis offering graphic design, isn't it essential for you to have carried out the foundation year?
Reply 5
akmd
Kingston
London College Of Communication

Those are two of the most popular ones.

I went to LCC to do National Diploma Graphic Design and I think the facilities are great. I would go there myself for the BA, but I want to go outside of London.

I've applied to:

- Nottingham Trent University
- Portsmouth
- Arts Institute at Bournemouth
- De Montfort University
- Lincoln University
- Bedfordshire University

If anyone's heard anything particularly bad (or good) about any of these please let me know! I've already been told I have interviews at De Montfort and Portsmouth.

rosie86uk
With the London unis offering graphic design, isn't it essential for you to have carried out the foundation year?

Do you mean Foundation Degree or just the foundation, because I done a BTEC National Diploma and that was accepted at entry providing high enough grades were achieved and the portfolio was of a suitable standard.

LCC accept a pass at National Diploma level for entry.

Hope this was of help.
~Jay
Reply 6
Blueyze, you were earlier talking about the FDA in Graphic Design being quite hands on. If you are quite interested in moving image design, and motion graphics and stuff ( Things like TV idents like the E4s estings) would this course offer the opourtunity to develop skills in these areas.
Reply 7
BluEyze
I went to LCC to do National Diploma Graphic Design and I think the facilities are great. I would go there myself for the BA, but I want to go outside of London.

I've applied to:

- Nottingham Trent University
- Portsmouth
- Arts Institute at Bournemouth
- De Montfort University
- Lincoln University
- Bedfordshire University

If anyone's heard anything particularly bad (or good) about any of these please let me know! I've already been told I have interviews at De Montfort and Portsmouth.

Do you mean Foundation Degree or just the foundation, because I done a BTEC National Diploma and that was accepted at entry providing high enough grades were achieved and the portfolio was of a suitable standard.

LCC accept a pass at National Diploma level for entry.

Hope this was of help.
~Jay

I know both of those scored high with the D&AD and RSA, also Leeds Uni and Leeds Met both apparently run great graphics courses and have also scored well with D&AD and RSA.
Reply 8
aLIEuk
Blueyze, you were earlier talking about the FDA in Graphic Design being quite hands on. If you are quite interested in moving image design, and motion graphics and stuff ( Things like TV idents like the E4s estings) would this course offer the opourtunity to develop skills in these areas.

I don't think so. It's more focused on still design stuff really, like magazine work, posters, all that. It's quite a commercially focused course. When I done the first year of my National Diploma in City of Westminster College, they were totally the opposite. They focused more on the whole creating artwork and taking it to exhibitions to sell, which really weren't for me, which is why I transferred to LCC.

Andy1723
I know both of those scored high with the D&AD and RSA, also Leeds Uni and Leeds Met both apparently run great graphics courses and have also scored well with D&AD and RSA.

I've been getting good vibes from NTU, DMU and Lincoln and they are definitely my top three. To be honest though, I've only got a reply from DMU out of those three and my grades aren't up to their entry requirements, but I'm gonna take my chances with them all and hopefully I'll get an offer. I've been told my work is really good my LCC, but it was just my confidence that made me slip up towards the end of the course (and here and there throughout) and it really affected my grades. I'm taking the chance because I believe I'm capable of achieving more than what I got at college and wanna put things right in University. Maybe I'll have to do a foundation year before that, but I really don't wanna repeat a year. But, what will be will be so I'll see how it goes. I've been told by my partner that at least one will accept me, but I'm a bit wary as to whether that'll actually happen.

~Jay
Reply 9
Im off to Lincoln to do Graphic Design. They have great facilities and amazing staff. One thing that made me think of this uni is the fact they enter so many competitions plus it is an amazing place!
Reply 10
Oh wow that's cool for you. I've not heard anything back from them yet. I had an interview and open day in Portsmouth on Wednesday 14th (how romantic) and I thought it was great. So much better than expected. We got to speak to some students there one of which who'd been to Lincoln and said it was quite computer based, with not much hands on work. Don't know whether this is true or not, but if it is, that's something that would put me off a bit.

I also went to Uni of Bedfordshire's Luton campus and it was awful! Totally rubbish, wouldn't recommend it one bit. Even if it's the only Uni I get a place at I won't be going there.
been to Falmouth and thought it was great.
camberwell college of arts

LCC

and central st martins
Reply 13
I'm going to Salford, I loved it there.
Also got places at, but declined:
DMU - the facilities and teachers didn't impress me much on the open days & interview
Lincoln - liked the uni & place, but I would've got bored there I think, and thought it was odd they accepted me without interview or anything. I'd rather get a place from an interview.
Chester - not particularly good rep, got place without interview...don't know why I applied really, haha.
NTU - already had my heart set on Salford, so didn't go to interview. Silly, really.
Leeds - again, got a place without interview, thought it was odd. And didn't really want to move so far away.
Reply 14
I had the same thing happen to when applying for film and television production at Lincoln. I expected to have an interview and show them my portfolio but they offered me a place straigt up which I thought was strange!
Reply 15
UK:
Central Saint Martins (I'm on the Graphics course - I like it)
London College of Communication
Kingston

US:
Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU)
Parsons
i'm going to Lincoln I got accepted to De Montfort University aswell but, on my open day i also wasn't impressed with the facilities. the "studio" is on the 10th floor of some horrid block and they have about 10 macs in there and no space, it looked a depressing place to work, so i wont be going there.

while Lincoln had loads of Macs and a huge open plan studio layout.. photography, fashion and graphics are all in the same building (Thomas parker house) but on different floors, fashion ground, photography floor one and graphics floor three. plus they have there own canteen so you can mingle with the fashion and photo students.

in your third year you get you own work space that no1 elts can touch so you can leave your crap everywhere.

about the being accepted straight away from Lincoln i don't think they have much faith in UCAS for some reason. so basically anyone who apply gets accepted. I was also put of by this because i feel i wanted to earn my place thought a impressive interview. BUT you get invited to an "advisory day" a non formal interview where they look at your portfolio and chat.

While i was on mine, two quite frankly rubbish students turned up with nothing but a A4 folder with about 6 sheets of work in to show as a "portfolio". I overheard one of them talking to her mum after she was interviewed and she was "advised to go and do a foundation corse somwhere elts" lol so it's not as easy as it looks.
Reply 17
RocketBabyDoll
i also wasn't impressed with the facilities. the "studio" is on the 10th floor of some horrid block and they have about 10 macs in there and no space, it looked a depressing place to work, so i wont be going there.

I couldn't agree more, I thought I was gonna love it there as well, going by the DVD they sent out as well as everything else they said they'd be. They should spend more money on their departments before spending so much on promotions. I got some special folder thing from them and everything, and it only had a few leaflets in it, nothing majorly important whatsoever. What a waste!

On the other hand, Lincoln sounds nice, woulda been nice to have an interview there, but got rejected, lol, so oh well! I'm going Portsmouth and it's a great place, so I'll make the most of it there. If it isn't as great as I expect it to be in the first year, I can always transfer for the last two years.

~Jay
BluEyze
I couldn't agree more, I thought I was gonna love it there as well, going by the DVD they sent out as well as everything else they said they'd be. They should spend more money on their departments before spending so much on promotions. I got some special folder thing from them and everything, and it only had a few leaflets in it, nothing majorly important whatsoever. What a waste!

On the other hand, Lincoln sounds nice, woulda been nice to have an interview there, but got rejected, lol, so oh well! I'm going Portsmouth and it's a great place, so I'll make the most of it there. If it isn't as great as I expect it to be in the first year, I can always transfer for the last two years.

~Jay

yeah! i got that folder aswell, as you said with all there promotional material they where really swaying me until i actually went there. I used there snazzy folder to put all my other uni letters and form in, haha...

well wherever your going to study lets just be pleased it's not there..

good luck

:smile:
Reply 19
I'm glad I wasn't the only one not impressed by DMU! I was quite surprised when I went, because I heard it had a great reputation and everything...but the tutors didn't seem particularly friendly or interested in anything, and the rooms/facilities weren't anything special either.

Latest