The Student Room Group

Help- Failed A levels

So i have failed my a levels,i would probably say i got CDE. i i cant retake the year cause i already am i resit student. Last year i had BBC for AS, but this year a very serious family issues occured a few days before my exams started where i was not able to concentrate or focus. i have underperformed for my exams and i just dont know what to do

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OVOXO96
So i have failed my a levels,i would probably say i got CDE. i i cant retake the year cause i already am i resit student. Last year i had BBC for AS, but this year a very serious family issues occured a few days before my exams started where i was not able to concentrate or focus. i have underperformed for my exams and i just dont know what to do

Forget winter.

Clearing is coming.....
Reply 2
Original post by connorrobs
Forget winter.

Clearing is coming.....

I had offers for pharmacy but i know for sure i wont be able to get in, even if its through clearing, theres no chance
Forget winter.

Clearing is coming.....

In all seriousness, contact your exam officer and explain the family thing and you'll get something called special consideration. Or even your predicted grades.
In all seriousness, contact your exam officer and explain the family thing and you'll get something called special consideration. Or even your predicted grades.

good luck bro
Reply 5
good luck bro

Thanks for that do you think i should notify the unis?
Original post by OVOXO96
Thanks for that do you think i should notify the unis?

Your exam officer should do that if they're nice but if not then you should yes.
Reply 7

My mum passed away in the middle of AS's, my aunt was admitted to hospital for serious MS and my nan has just been given 2 months because of cancer - you know what they gave me?

A tolerance of 3%.
Original post by TommySP
My mum passed away in the middle of AS's, my aunt was admitted to hospital for serious MS and my nan has just been given 2 months because of cancer - you know what they gave me?

A tolerance of 3%.

That's really **** mate, don't really swear much but in this case it is well placed.

Hope you still did ok... :frown:
Reply 9
Don't know how the Exam board will reat your circumstances.

Have you considered taking a gap year and being a private candidate? As you said your already resitter.
This will mean you wont actually attend the college but instead you'll come in and sit the exam(s).
Ask your college explain the circumstances and ask If you can you'll have to pay for the exam but If you think you can do it, you'll be able to use the year effectively and gain better grades next year.
Reply 10
Original post by Topps
Don't know how the Exam board will reat your circumstances.

Have you considered taking a gap year and being a private candidate? As you said your already resitter.
This will mean you wont actually attend the college but instead you'll come in and sit the exam(s).
Ask your college explain the circumstances and ask If you can you'll have to pay for the exam but If you think you can do it, you'll be able to use the year effectively and gain better grades next year.

That was another possible option but that will mean i took twice the amount of time completing a levels
Reply 11
Original post by OVOXO96
That was another possible option but that will mean i took twice the amount of time completing a levels

Yeah I understand what you mean. However this year it was literally out of your control. Slow and steady wins the race. Like others have suggested clearing may be of use but obviously your not guaranteed. Don't count a gap year out.

I think I'll be taking a gap year, I decided to rrsit modules alongside my A2 and tbh I've let myself down.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Reply 12
Original post by Topps
Yeah I understand what you mean. However this year it was literally out of your control. Slow and steady wins the race. Like others have suggested clearing may be of use but obviously your not guaranteed. Don't count a gap year out.

I think I'll be taking a gap year, I decided to rrsit modules alongside my A2 and tbh I've let myself down.

Are you a resit student aswell?
Reply 13
Original post by OVOXO96
Are you a resit student aswell?

I didn't retake a year but resat three modules alongside my A2 exams. My college doesnt allow people to do third years, so it was either that or find a totally new college. And I know for a fact they won't be allowing people to resit years next year.

They blame it on funding and plus they are a regularly over subscribed college.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Topps
I didn't retake a year but resat three modules alongside my A2 exams.

Oh right, best of luck to you
Reply 15
Original post by OVOXO96
Oh right, best of luck to you

Thank you, although not feeling confident but that's more my fault.
I wish you the best of luck with what ever you decide and hope the exam board does take into consideration the circumstances.

He won't get it now, he should have mentioned previously before exams. However, you met inform them immediately and have a family member come in and explain (so they know you are not lying). What sort of issue is it? They will want medical evidence if it is medical.

You could contact your university too but I don't think you'll get lucky there. You are not a resit student (that's for Year 13s who have left who go back and do A-levels - unless you retook your AS year?)

Your best bet is to go on a gap year, explain your bad results on your personal statement, show how motivated you are to get the grades this time, and just smash ALL your exams in the gap year. Your main difficulty will be predicted grades though. Your teachers/tutors will only predict you highly if typo uve been consistently performing well throughout Year 13 and suddenly exams got affected. If you do get CDE you will be predicted ABC at best or BCD at worst. Can't see you getting offers with that for Pharmacy if I'm honest.

Plus they will be suspicious about the family issue because if you've been revising and working hard all year, then it shouldn't affect you so much that you get an E grade.. Maybe down to a B/C from an A but E is a bit much and so is a D.

I had issues throughout both years of A2 consistently and still came out with an A in one subject and a B in another. Both above my predicted grades.

I've been through this so I know.

Original post by OVOXO96
Reply 17
Original post by Nautic4l
He won't get it now, he should have mentioned previously before exams. However, you met inform them immediately and have a family member come in and explain (so they know you are not lying). What sort of issue is it? They will want medical evidence if it is medical.

You could contact your university too but I don't think you'll get lucky there. You are not a resit student (that's for Year 13s who have left who go back and do A-levels - unless you retook your AS year?)

Your best bet is to go on a gap year, explain your bad results on your personal statement, show how motivated you are to get the grades this time, and just smash ALL your exams in the gap year. Your main difficulty will be predicted grades though. Your teachers/tutors will only predict you highly if typo uve been consistently performing well throughout Year 13 and suddenly exams got affected. If you do get CDE you will be predicted ABC at best or BCD at worst. Can't see you getting offers with that for Pharmacy if I'm honest.

Plus they will be suspicious about the family issue because if you've been revising and working hard all year, then it shouldn't affect you so much that you get an E grade.. Maybe down to a B/C from an A but E is a bit much and so is a D.

I had issues throughout both years of A2 consistently and still came out with an A in one subject and a B in another. Both above my predicted grades.

I've been through this so I know.

I retook my AS year and did receive offers for Pharmacy but i really did under perform in my exams this year, which is going to cost me my firm and insurance
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by OVOXO96
I retook my AS year and did receive offers for Pharmacy but i really did under perform in my exams this year, which is going to cost me my firm and insurance

All that I said applies. You just have to take a gap year. Honestly if I can do it for Medicine... You can for Pharmacy
Reply 19
Original post by Nautic4l
All that I said applies. You just have to take a gap year. Honestly if I can do it for Medicine... You can for Pharmacy

But don't you think four years is too much, and what would unis think

Quick Reply

Latest