The Student Room Group

"Apply for Russel group university or don't apply for Uni at all"

I'm currently doing my AS's and I'm expecting to achieve overall AAB /ABB in my A levels and I just keep having these thoughts in my head that if I don't get in to a Russel group university for my course (Mechanical engineering) I'll probably end up with a low paying job in some unknown firmest the moment there's only 3 Russel group Unis who do my Courses and one is very unlikely for me to get in whilst the other requires physics which I don't have. I wanted to clear things up so does going to a top 12 university in the UK actually make a significant difference to your career or is it just ment to make you look sophisticated?.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by therepulsion
I'm currently doing my AS's and I'm expecting to achieve overall AAB /ABB in my A levels and I just keep having these thoughts in my head that if I don't get in to a Russel group university for my course (Mechanical engineering) I'll probably end up with a low paying job in some unknown firmest the moment there's only 3 Russel group Unis who do my Courses and one is very unlikely for me to get in whilst the other requires physics which I don't have. I wanted to clear things up so does going to a top 12 university in the UK actually make a significant difference to your career or is it just ment to make you look sophisticated?.

In some aspects that's so true. Im taking a gap year to retake one AS unit that I should of retook to get ABB and then re-applying to a Russel group Uni

SO MAKE SURE YOU WORK HARD!!!!!!

Realistically, if you want to access the top jobs, then your university choice makes a very big difference. Work hard, and I would pick up physics if I was you.
Ahh I thought so and thanks for the advice, will do. :getmecoat::getmecoat::getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile
stastically speaking, ur probably gonna end up with a low paying job regardless
(edited 8 years ago)

I personaly don't understand the obsession with Russel group universities.
Moving this to Educational debate as Oxbridge debates don't really belong here.
Original post by IamLiquid
I personaly don't understand the obsession with Russel group universities.

Not Russell Group specifically, but "good" universities. There is no point paying Β£9000 to go to London South Bank university when you will come out being just as trained as someone in Aldi.

Most people outside of TSR have no idea what the Russell Group is or what constitutes a "top 12" university. The reality is that after graduating you're still going to know almost bugger all about engineering regardless of where you do your degree. Companies are much more interested in taking on someone who demonstrates an ability to learn and who demonstrates enthusiasm, hard-work and teamworking ability than someone who went to a university that's a member of a group they probably don't know about.

Although I know for a fact that there are an awful lot more than 3 universities in the Russell Group that offer mechanical engineering.
If you want to do an Arts subject like English or Humanities, then going to a Russell Group university is a must. I think you can afford to be a bit more flexible with sciences and other 'top' subjects, although obviously prospects are better if you go to a Russell Group.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Smack
Most people outside of TSR have no idea what the Russell Group is or what constitutes a "top 12" university. The reality is that after graduating you're still going to know almost bugger all about engineering regardless of where you do your degree. Companies are much more interested in taking on someone who demonstrates an ability to learn and who demonstrates enthusiasm, hard-work and teamworking ability than someone who went to a university that's a member of a group they probably don't know about.

Although I know for a fact that there are an awful lot more than 3 universities in the Russell Group that offer mechanical engineering.

I ment to say 3 Russell group universities in London that offer mechanical engineering.
Original post by Smack

Also I just read through your profile and noticed that you have a Meng in Mechanical engineering, that's so cool! May I ask where you got your degree and where it's taken you? Because I have profound interests in this course despite not having many links with people who are in the field so I needed some heads up before I end up choosing a course that's not for me.
Bath isn't in the Russel Group and it very respected for Mech Eng.

Read this press release and then think about your post

https://www.siemens.co.uk/en/news_press/index/news_archive/2015/siemens-announces-newcastle-and-lincoln-universities-as-its-global-principal-partners.htm
Hmm, I'm not sure mechanical engineers are the label mabels you seem to suppose.

Also: Christ but I hate the Russell Group.
This is rubbish, you need to go to a 'good' uni, sure, but this doesn't necessarily mean a Russel Group uni - go to one that is considered to be good in your subject area.

Work experience, a decent 2.1 or above, extra curricular involvement (positions of responsibility, team working, etc.), a pro-active approach to improving your employability etc. will count for a lot more when it comes to job hunting.
Reply 16
Russel group unis are just known for their research and are not necessarily the best eg. Bath
Original post by subject1
Not Russell Group specifically, but "good" universities. There is no point paying Β£9000 to go to London South Bank university when you will come out being just as trained as someone in Aldi.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/aldis-offer-of-42000-a-year-leads-marketin-graduate-recruitment-market-9971337.html
:facepalm:
Also I just read through your profile and noticed that you have a Meng in Mechanical engineering, that's so cool! May I ask where you got your degree and where it's taken you? Because I have profound interests in this course despite not having many links with people who are in the field so I needed some heads up before I end up choosing a course that's not for me.

I got my degree from RGU in Aberdeen, and currently working in oil & gas (and hopefully still working in oil & gas in the future!). My work at the moment is more structural related than what most would classify as mechanical to be honest, but that's the beauty of mechanical engineering; it's just so transferable.
Original post by Smack
I got my degree from RGU in Aberdeen, and currently working in oil & gas (and hopefully still working in oil & gas in the future!). My work at the moment is more structural related than what most would classify as mechanical to be honest, but that's the beauty of mechanical engineering; it's just so transferable.

RGU is vastly different to most ex-polys due to its location and absolute success in helping secure graduates good jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest