The Student Room Group

question..

right, i am applying to three sixth forms (one of which is the school i am at) and i have a problem, well here are the subjects i want to take IF i stay in my own school OR the other school:

italian,economics,history and english lit.

but the other school i am applying to DOESNT do italian..so i am a bit confused between
i would do:economics,history,english lit..AND
*french
OR
*politics
OR
*geography

seeing as all 3 of them i would like to do..but i want to be a lawyer OR politican (you dont need politics to do politics at uni though)

and advice on those 3 choices?
Reply 1
Politics.

Or how about Maths? it is always good to have.
Reply 2
^^ I agree with you. Maths is a good choice. But if you really hate maths, then I recommend geography - it's quite a nice subject to get a broader knowledge of the world.
Reply 3
^^ I've always liked (Physical) Geography. I stay as far away as possible from Human though..
French. You obviously enjoy and are good at languages to have chosen Italian, unis and employers love them and it would give you the option of doing something like Law with French law if you wanted.
Reply 5
whoa mixed opinions!
i realllly like french but then again politics looks so fun!
Reply 6
I'd say do French because Languages are always respectable choices for A Levels and usually it sets you apart from other students as not many do languages. In my French class last year for AS there were 12 of us which now at A2 has decreased to just 3 and the same thing has happened in the German class.

French would also give you added bonus of being able to speak to language at a level which is more advanced than just GCSE and if you enjoy it, why not?!
Reply 7
i think im going to choose french :smile:
because french is spoken in france,parts and africa AND canada! so if i enjoy it..i can also do french law meaning i can work there as well!
I take French for AS...

It's one of my best subjects

do take it because its worth it in the end
Reply 9
its just im predicted a B in french but i think im gonna get a lot higher..as in all my practice papers and mocks i got A's!
but the 6th form i wanna go to is REALLY hard to get into..and if i say im predicted a B in french its like BOOM, OUT THE WINDOW!!
DoubleOSeven
its just im predicted a B in french but i think im gonna get a lot higher..as in all my practice papers and mocks i got A's!
but the 6th form i wanna go to is REALLY hard to get into..and if i say im predicted a B in french its like BOOM, OUT THE WINDOW!!

Have you tried talking to your French teacher? If you've been getting As in all your practice papers and mocks, with plenty of time still to improve before the real exams, I don't see why s/he can't change your prediction to an A. Explain that you want to do French at A-level and a high predicted grade is important for your application.
so you're in year 11 right?

can't you still change your subjects after you've got ur gcse results, because, at the 6th form i go to if your results wern't as good as you thought they'd be...(*fingers crossed*that won't be the case 4 u)you could change them before going
Be careful with French though, one of my friends was amazing at French and got an A* at GCSE. She took AS and got a C :s-smilie: despite working reli reli hard!! Her teacher was a bit rubbish though :s-smilie:
kaleidoscope42
Be careful with French though, one of my friends was amazing at French and got an A* at GCSE. She took AS and got a C :s-smilie: despite working reli reli hard!! Her teacher was a bit rubbish though :s-smilie:

its the teachers

i used to love chemistry, this year for as we got two crappy teachers, and its reflecting on my grades
Reply 14
Politics, as you can see I am totally bias. But only do it if you can cope with the workload as I find it a struggle sometimes. If you want to have the option of doing something different than French. (If) you go to an interview stress what you school you go to and when ask what it is like just repeat what you said up on here.
tami*
its the teachers

yeah deffo!
Reply 16
kellywood_5
French. You obviously enjoy and are good at languages to have chosen Italian, unis and employers love them and it would give you the option of doing something like Law with French law if you wanted.

:ditto:

Latest

Trending

Trending