The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Freshers: beware scams

I've just finished my first year and wanted to give a bit of advice to you

Be careful of the facebook groups for freshers. Check the description to see if it's affiliated with the university of liverpool before joining. I made the mistake of joining a couple of bogus ones last year and got majorly ripped off with them selling tickets to crap events. Avoid the Ice Breaker at all costs. It's nothing like they make it out to be and honestly, you can have a much better time on a bar crawl or at the guild.

Also, don't post your room numbers or accommodation on these groups. The admins accept anyone so it can cause some problems with crime. The official facebook groups which are set up by UoL are much safer as they are checked against student lists.

Please be careful. I believe that the university might send out an email in august with links to the official facebook pages x
thankyou! ive seen so many people go on about the icebreaker, i always thought it was a bit fishy, good advice about the accommodation too, thanks :smile:
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
God. The Ice breaker. I knew that was crap from the beginning, being from the city it was obvious it was bogus, all my housemates went and I pretty much had to go because of them, £10 and we were in there for around an hour.

I wouldn't recommend the freshers wrist bands the uni gives out, whilst we're on the topic, most people did not get their money's worth from it in the slightest, could be different this year though.

Other scams to be wary about:

- Landlords pushing people to sort their second year houses out in the first semester (it's bull****, don't fall in the trap like everyone seems to. every. year).
- If you're in liverpool, don't buy drugs off of the people walking up and down concert square. Not saying to take drugs at all, but if people are going to do it, avoid street sellers like the plague.
- Make sure you know the general direction to where you live (i.e Smithdown if you're around there), many people got ripped off by taxi drivers in the first week because of this.
Second on the accommodation there is plenty of accommodation to go around so take your time I did personally and got a much better house than I would of done. You will also find accommodation is still advertised in September so there is definitely no rush.

PS Be wary of the gimmicks from landlords and try to stick to homes from Liverpool Student Homes where possible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending