The Student Room Group

"Psychology" course? Should I or should I not? Urgent help here !!

So, I completed my 1st year of A levels with 5 subjects :
GP, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Mathematics. :smile:
I haven't given any AS exams yet ( because of shocks and tremors and was thinking of giving it in this coming October ) which I believe to get good grades on. :tongue:

You must have noticed that there's no "Psychology" there which was because my college hadn't put up that subject choice last year.:frown:

Anyways, lets get to the point i.e. Will I be able to complete Psychology's course (AS and A2 both) {in just a matter of a year} given that I have good general knowledge skills, good English and IQ ?! Frankly speaking , I love "Psychology"..I always did.. :colondollar: What do I need to learn this subject pretty well and quick too of course? OR Is it already too late? :colone:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

I do English Literature, History, Law and Psychology (AS).

I honestly don't believe that for AS you rely too much on your english skills, as your questions are typically 2/4/6/8/12markers. Mostly the lower mark questions with one or two higher marked questions (AQA, not sure about your exam board).

To sit both AS and A2 in a year would be difficult, no matter how clever you are. Are you going to drop a subject at A2? If not, don't do it. You do biology. Look into universities that you're interested in if you want to do psychology at degree level, as many i've looked at only require any one science. I don't believe that not doing it at a level will hinder you when you start your degree.

If you dont want to continue with psychology at degree i would also not recommend it as you will only hinder your A2 grades - everything gets a LOT harder and a lot more serious at A2, so consider how much time you would have to dedicate to psychology.

If your school doesn't offer it, you will have to either sit the exam in another college or move schools. For the first, this is risky as you wont have the benefit of a teacher to ask questions, but I ended up teaching myself out of a book anyway, so it's doable. For the second, is it worth the agro? You will have to settle down again, make friends etc, whilst under the pressure of A2.

I'm saying this basically: Put a lot of thought into your decision as it is not something to be taken on lightly. Good luck. If you have questions about Psychology just ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Pollyanna1998
I do English Literature, History, Law and Psychology (AS).

I honestly don't believe that for AS you rely too much on your english skills, as your questions are typically 2/4/6/8/12markers. Mostly the lower mark questions with one or two higher marked questions (AQA, not sure about your exam board).

To sit both AS and A2 in a year would be difficult, no matter how clever you are. Are you going to drop a subject at A2? If not, don't do it. You do biology. Look into universities that you're interested in if you want to do psychology at degree level, as many i've looked at only require any one science. I don't believe that not doing it at a level will hinder you when you start your degree.

If you dont want to continue with psychology at degree i would also not recommend it as you will only hinder your A2 grades - everything gets a LOT harder and a lot more serious at A2, so consider how much time you would have to dedicate to psychology.

If your school doesn't offer it, you will have to either sit the exam in another college or move schools. For the first, this is risky as you wont have the benefit of a teacher to ask questions, but I ended up teaching myself out of a book anyway, so it's doable. For the second, is it worth the agro? You will have to settle down again, make friends etc, whilst under the pressure of A2.

I'm saying this basically: Put a lot of thought into your decision as it is not something to be taken on lightly. Good luck. If you have questions about Psychology just ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanx for responding my post.. I really appreciate that ;D

and oh.. so what do i really need for this course? :redface: and won't I be at some advantage when I am giving both CIE's AS + A2 exams at once ? I haven't really thought about any Unis.Isn't this course popular among most of the unis?

I just wanted to earn one more credit and more importantly I am very interested and I love this course very much.. though I know very few about this...Like I said, my school didn't have this course previous year but this year, they will be hiring a teacher for it which is going to happen in 1-2 weeks from now..And I talked with my friends too and they are as willing as I am to take this course head on even though we have less than a year left... I am really puzzled now..
Reply 4
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:
You are very kind ! Thank you for your effort ! :wink:
Original post by UdipR1
So, I competed my 1st year of A levels with 5 subjects :
GP, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Mathematics. :smile:
I haven't given any AS exams yet ( because of shocks and tremors and was thinking of giving it in this coming October ) which I believe to get good grades on. :tongue:

You must have noticed that there's no "Psychology" there which was because my college hadn't put up that subject choice last year.:frown:

Anyways, lets get to the point i.e. Will I be able to complete Psychology's course (AS and A2 both) {in just a matter of a year} given that I have good general knowledge skills, good English and IQ ?! Frankly speaking , I love "Psychology"..I always did.. :colondollar: What do I need to learn this subject pretty well and quick too of course? OR Is it already too late? :colone:

A Level psychology content isn't hard, there's just a lot of it. You absolutely don't need a level psychology to study psychology at university also. You could look into doing an EPQ in psychology as an alternative.
Reply 6
Original post by iammichealjackson
A Level psychology content isn't hard, there's just a lot of it. You absolutely don't need a level psychology to study psychology at university also. You could look into doing an EPQ in psychology as an alternative.

Ohh.. and could you brief me out about what EPQ really is and How to do it? I searched it on the internet but it's a pain... Thanx in advance !
Original post by UdipR1
1) What do I really need for this course?

2) Will I be at some advantage when I am giving both CIE's AS + A2 exams at once

3) Is this course popular among most of the Universities?

4) I want to earn more credit.

1) You will most likely be asked to buy the textbook for this course, but I can't tell you which as we are studying under different exam boards. There are usually two different textbooks, one for AS and one for A2, so you're looking to spend a maximum of £50 (Usually textbooks don't cost anymore than £25, this isn't a rough guideline, but an estimate of how much it could potentially cost you at its most expensive).

Other than this, you will need a lot of spare time to dedicate to learning both AS and A2. There are going to be hundreds of research studies, methods, approaches, cases, explanations and theories that you will have to learn in AS, and unfortunately A2 needs to be learnt in much more depth.

The exams for AS and A2 vary, and I explained the AS exam layout above. However, A2 is completely different: the exams are split into 3 large essay questions. You would need to learn the format for answering both AS and A2 modules, which I believe would be difficult to do in a year whilst also learning an overwhelming amount of information.

If your psychology teacher is a bad teacher, you will find yourself in a sticky situation; you will have to teach yourself both AS and A2 psychology in one year. Remember that you will have 3 other A2 courses to handle, and there will be a lot more work to cover. I've asked many year 13's and they told me that the jump from AS to A2 is much bigger than the jump from GCSE's to AS. You will need to consider whether you're willing to potentially harm your A2 grades just to get an A Level in Psychology.

2) No. This is because the content for AS and A2 is not necessarily similar as you cover different areas of psychology in each year. Therefore you may get muddled, and as I have said the layout and approach you need to take for each exam varies a lot, which will strain you.

3) Psychology is a valued A Level, however you don't need to have taken Psychology at A Level to do a degree in it. If thats one of the main reasons you wish to take it, so that you can continue it at degree level, then I would advise against it as similar to Law, some universities prefer if you didn't sit it at A Level as the structure and way that they teach you is different and it would be hard to change your learnt habits or ideas. I would suggest you look into universities you're interested in and so some research, as this is different from university to university.

4) Typically, universities only look at 3 A Levels. Therefore, straining yourself to look good in front of various universities would be unnecessary. You should consider whether or not you are willing to hinder your current A Levels by adding more pressure to exam time. The time you would have to dedicate to sitting AS and A2 in the same year could be well spent developing your understanding of your current A Levels.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by UdipR1
Ohh.. and could you brief me out about what EPQ really is and How to do it? I searched it on the internet but it's a pain... Thanx in advance !

I don't really know, my school didn't offer it, but from what i've heard its like a mini research project http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-W-7993-SP.PDF

I think the EPQ project requires that you gather and present your own data, i don't think you simply write a long essay, so you'd have to do some sort of questionnaire or experiment. Maybe you could try and replicate some famous experiment in psychology then talk about it. However if your school doesn't offer it you can't really do it anyway :P.

Unlike what the above poster mentioned, psychology is NOT a valued a level and russell group universities, even for psychology courses. https://successatschool.org/advicedetails/204/What-is-a-Facilitating-Subject At psychology open days i've been told that psychology a level is a bit rubbish. Sure, its a difficult subject, but its pure memorization game, and the essay writing is so formulaic and essentially bad practice for university (unlike, say English Literature or History). The EPQ actually is far more relevant to university study for psychology. However i don't know many people who have the opportunity to do this.
Reply 9
Original post by Pollyanna1998
everything above ...
Posted from TSR Mobile

I heartfully thank you and then again I am pretty much sorry for stealing your valuable time :P I am going to talk to the new teach once again before I finalize my decision in dropping this subject course. Your kindness is as sweet a dish as any. Thanx again !!
Hello, I want to study forensic psychology, I have an interest in every topic that it covers, however, I am scared since I am not taking A-level psychology at school, I wouldn't like at university, my parents are putting on me so much pressure on choosing another course like pharmacy or medicine and I was thinking is studying both then I dropped this decision but my mom keeps telling me you'll regret studying forensic psychology so what made you guys so sure about you want to study?
P.s: sorry for length question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't be afraid you're not taking psychology at uni, it doesn't really matter, but if you're interested in psychology id say take it because it is pretty easy. Don't listen to your parents, it's your life. How are you so sure you will like forensic psychology?? Do you read a lot around the topic?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow sorry just written what I put, half of that is confusing. I meant don't be afraid of not taking psychology at A level for uni, core sciences are more appealing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Read* wow sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PsychologyFreak
Don't be afraid you're not taking psychology at uni, it doesn't really matter, but if you're interested in psychology id say take it because it is pretty easy. Don't listen to your parents, it's your life. How are you so sure you will like forensic psychology?? Do you read a lot around the topic?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow sorry just written what I put, half of that is confusing. I meant don't be afraid of not taking psychology at A level for uni, core sciences are more appealing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read* wow sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's okay, I've read through all the courses and this course just got my attention so I started reading articles about it and it seems interesting so I decided to study it, and since my favorite TV shows are about CSI and including criminal minds I decided I have an interest in the course, however I need someone to tell the truth, like is it a stupid decision to study it bases on these interests?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I think it is fine to start your interests by watching stuff from tv, but don't assume having a jobin forensic psychology is how it is on tv. You will spend very little (if any) creating profiles or chasing serial killers, a forensic psychologist usually works with offenders in prisons focusing on the treatment of the offender I.e anger management. But often working in courts and sometimes with police aswell :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say play it safe though, pick subjects which are flexible in case you decide psychology is not for you. Do you have any aspirations for a specific uni? Or ranking or whatever

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say play it safe though, pick subjects which are flexible in case you decide psychology is not for you. Do you have any aspirations for a specific uni? Or ranking or whatever

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thank you really, um do you mean any UNI I have an interest in, well unfortunately not yet :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PlayerBB
It's okay, I've read through all the courses and this course just got my attention so I started reading articles about it and it seems interesting so I decided to study it, and since my favorite TV shows are about CSI and including criminal minds I decided I have an interest in the course, however I need someone to tell the truth, like is it a stupid decision to study it bases on these interests?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't mention the TV shows on your personal statement though, better to refer to articles/books
Ah okay just curious, it is not a definite but I've heard it is difficult to get a career in psychology unless you go to a uni that naturally leads to work placements. This is more common in top 10 uni's :smile: for the top uni's Maths and Core sciences are a massive pull on your application

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending