The Student Room Group

Please help - what's wrong with my CV?

Hey,

I've been applying for jobs for over 6 months now and I've not had a single interview. I've tailored my CV where appropriate and have always tried to be as specific as possible on my applications, but I never seem to be lucky. It's quite demeaning since so many of my friends have jobs now, and I feel like the one who's left out.

Here's my current CV (the generic, non-tailored version that I edit depending on the job). Can anyone suggest any improvements or problems that could be stopping me getting an interview?

Spoiler

Thanks.
Put A-Levels above

Add Availability on

Say that references are available upon request
Reply 2
One of my pet hates is seeing two page CVs with just a little bit of text on the second page (don't really know why!) - fit it all onto one page. (Maybe reduce the size of your name/headings, also you are wasting a lot of space listing each GCSE on a single line, consider grouping them together on same lines)

I agree, get rid of education section and put your A levels above GCSEs. Also put references on.

I prefer to read bullet points rather than paragraphs of text, makes it clearer to see the key points.

You have 3 years experience radio presenting, say more about this! Im sure you have learnt a lot of skills from this and it is something not many people have done, so will make you stand out a bit.

"I ensure every task is given 110%" - a bit cliché, I would just say 100%. Also "I feel I've improved my confidence" I would change to "I have improved"

Just my personal opinions but I hope it helps
110%...cringe

Also, remove those walls of text you have thrown in there and get some bullet points.

I've took glance (<5 seconds) at your CV and already completely put off it, how do you think an employer feel when they see it considering they've probably been sifting through several others that day?

Edit:

On closer inception, some waffle there too. You don't need words such as 'I', eg instead of 'I'm also interested in technology', say 'interested in technology'. The employer isn't going to thing that your friend is interested in tech, it is your CV, so 'I am' whilst it is correct English, is unnecessary. I've always been told never to include 'I' anything in a CV.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
use bullet points and high light your achievements . No one cares if youve 'improved your confidence' you need to show a example of when you applied your confidence

Dont say various, give specific example and what your role specifically was

if you think you can work effectively in a team, give a example of a time you did.

Also A-Levels above GCSE and Personal profile is abit irrelevant at this level, if you have worked as a radio presenter that should be a separate section in your CV not something you mention in passing.
Reply 5
Just a suggestion for a personal profile:
A highly reliable and passionate individual with over 3 years experience in radio presenting. Possesses excellent interpersonal and communication skills developed while volunteering for the local community. Currently seeks a customer facing role which would allow to develop personal and professional skills.

Original post by ryanroks1
Hey,

I've been applying for jobs for over 6 months now and I've not had a single interview. I've tailored my CV where appropriate and have always tried to be as specific as possible on my applications, but I never seem to be lucky. It's quite demeaning since so many of my friends have jobs now, and I feel like the one who's left out.

Here's my current CV (the generic, non-tailored version that I edit depending on the job). Can anyone suggest any improvements or problems that could be stopping me getting an interview?

Spoiler

Thanks.
Reply 6
Thanks so much everyone for all your tips. I'm going to make a new one now and implement them all. :smile:
Eh, it isn't bad. Just needs a bit of rewording to make your statements stronger. I have attached a copy of my CV as guidance on how you can write such statements.

I am a prose person rather than a bullet point guy, but I think that really comes down to where you are applying, who is going to be reading your CV, competition, and personal preference.

What you can also do is try to resize your sections based on how important they are. My qualifications section is much smaller than yours as I know that as long as you're qualified they aren't going to focus too much on individual grades. With yours, why have you included all your GCSEs? Surely most of them are irrelevant to the jobs you apply for? Just sum them up as "x GCSEs are grades A* - B grade" and only explicitely state the key ones for the job you're applying to.

Say you have references available on request. I'm more of a traditional person who likes to write their references out in full - I feel it just makes life easier for them when they contact your references.
Reply 8
Thanks again everyone. How's this one?

Spoiler

Reply 9
most recent employment first
Thanks again everyone. How's this one?

Spoiler

Better however given the amount of experience you have I would recommend that you get it all onto one page which can be done. I'd cut down the personal profile imo
Do not add "references available on request" - it's just a waste of space and if a company wants to consider your application further, they'll ask you for references then.

Get rid of the chunks of text. I gave up after the first two sentences of the first paragraph, and someone sifting through a pile of CVs will do too :frown: Replace the long sentences with bullet points, each starting with a verb - eg volunteering at scouts could be condensed to something like
- volunteered every week
- planned balanced programme
- worked effectively as part of a team
- communicated with adults and children
This clearly highlights that you are willing to give up your time to help the community, and can plan, work as part of a team and you are a good communicator. The other details don't really show off your competencies, and your skills are hidden in a large chunk of text - don't make the person reading your application work to find all the information about what a great candidate you are, because they won't.

As has already been said, get rid of education section and put a levels before gcses. gcses don't need to take up that much space, I would probably condense it to 10 gcses A*-B including English and Maths, but providing they're not all on separate lines it doesn't really matter.

---

I wrote this bit before seeing your improved one - much, much better. Perhaps a tad wordy in the personal profile and hobbies section, but you've made it much clearer. I'd possibly get rid of the blue as most CVs are sent electronically and then the employer may print and photocopy them - but probably in b+w. Would scrap "references on request", it just takes up space and takes you over a page.

good luck :smile:
Reply 12
Thanks everyone - I've just made those extra changes and now I'm going to apply to a few more jobs. :smile:
Thanks everyone - I've just made those extra changes and now I'm going to apply to a few more jobs. :smile:

My CV is probably worse than what you first posted :frown: Oh dear...
Reply 14
Thanks so much again everyone - just got a call from Next and have been offered a temporary contract so the new CV must've worked! :smile:
Congrats on the new job! :smile:
Omg I need help with my CV as well I have paid a lot of money to re write it! One potential employer told me she just deleted mine when I queried the progress of anApplication! Plssss help me!
Thanks so much again everyone - just got a call from Next and have been offered a temporary contract so the new CV must've worked! :smile:

congratulations!!
Guys. Stop opening four year old threads, if you have questions make your own.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending