The Student Room Group

Occupational health questionnaire

I am considering doing a PGCE in the future but I have a concern regarding the health questionnaire.

I took antidepressants during my final year of university (for a variety of reasons).
I haven't taken them since June 2014, and had never taken them prior to my final year.

Would I need to disclose this information on the form, especially as I have proved that I am capable of living without them. (I have lived through the death of my father and managed just fine without, and had such a bad experience with them that I have vowed to never take them again..
Original post by papyt
I am considering doing a PGCE in the future but I have a concern regarding the health questionnaire.

I took antidepressants during my final year of university (for a variety of reasons).
I haven't taken them since June 2014, and had never taken them prior to my final year.

Would I need to disclose this information on the form, especially as I have proved that I am capable of living without them. (I have lived through the death of my father and managed just fine without, and had such a bad experience with them that I have vowed to never take them again..

i think you may be asked if you have any current mental health conditions but you should be fine.
I don't know what you have to do officially but it is my personal opinion that so many people have needed antidepressants (or at least been prescribed them) these days that it's something that doesn't need mentioning on the form on the basis that if it's not a disability and it's not currently affecting you then I think this justifies not mentioning it.

I'm asking this for my own reference now: does an occupational health form need to be filled in for pgce/teaching?
Have you ever been affected by...?
- Mental Health Issues? e.g., anxiety, depression, phobias, OCD, nervous breakdown, personality disorder, over-dose or self-harm, drug or alcohol dependency:

That's what my uni asked me on my Occ Health form. I disclosed that a few years ago I suffered with anxiety/depression during a study abroad, and that I took antidepressants for 3 months. I was concerned they'd raise concerns about that, but I was signed off for the course with no problems and it wasn't even mentioned.

From what I've heard, a LOT of teachers are on antidepressants anyway (obviously not the majority or anything close, but a fairly high number). TES had some examples of teachers being asked this on job applications, but I'd assume that with so many teachers taking antidepressants, it wouldn't be a barrier to finding a job either.
I've taken antidepressants before and said that on my form and it's been fine. I start schools direct in September :smile: don't worry, it's so common I think if anything they may just support you a bit more x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Ok, that's a relief :smile:

Btw, who do you recommend as a main referee?

Laurakate1988 - As far as I know, you do need to fill in an Occupational Health form for a PGCE.

Quick Reply

Latest