The Student Room Group

Black people, is the n-word offensive to you?

No, this is not me wanting to say the word. It's me wanting to compare and contrast between the offensiveness of the n-word when it comes to England and America.

In America it's obvious that the n-word is very much a taboo for non-black people, at least in the "civilized" communities. But it's definitely NOT the same in here, pretty much everybody I know is okay with saying the word.

Now compare that to one of my friends, she grew up in America, and when people used to say that word in front her (back in the Emirates), she used to cringe.

So since I'm assuming that most people here are English, what do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

no its not taboo for non blacks...its plenty mexicans and other latinos callin themselves ***** outta friendship in civilized communities...stop it

****** comes from the ancient khmet (egyptian) word naga which means god...ancient egyptians admired darker skin they believed it was a blessin from the sun god aten

negus in ethiopian means emperor

****** and ***** came outta these words so no its not offensive to educated 'black people'

black comes from proto germanic meaning burnt.....200 years ago it was the most racist word around...somehow we got used to it....just like ***** is gettin used to

only uneducated blacks think the n word is bad and its usually british blacks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gagafacea1

In America it's obvious that the n-word is very much a taboo for non-black people, at least in the "civilized" communities.

this is the same as the UK.

I am white. If I used that expression in discussion with my white friends, they would be shocked. If I used it to a black person I would anticipate a (rightly) hostile response.
Original post by biggronn
no its not taboo for non blacks...its plenty mexicans and other latinos callin themselves ***** outta friendship in civilized communities...stop it

****** comes from the ancient khmet (egyptian) word naga which means god...ancient egyptians admired darker skin they believed it was a blessin from the sun god aten

negus in ethiopian means emperor

****** and ***** came outta these words so no its not offensive to educated 'black people'

black comes from proto germanic meaning burnt.....200 years ago it was the most racist word around...somehow we got used to it....just like ***** is gettin used to

only uneducated blacks think the n word is bad and its usually british blacks

What a load of bullcrap.

The derivative of the word is irrelevant to its current meaning.

I'm sure you can trace the word **** back to a time when it was a compliment, doesn't mean it has good connotations now does it.

A meaning was attached to the word, and whether you like it or not, the word has a very dark history.
(edited 8 years ago)
Honestly it depends on who is saying it bot the country. A white person from the more 'uncivilised' area in some places would say it and it would be fine. Another white person from a more civilised area would say it and it would cause controversy. A black person from a civilised area would say if and it would reflect the as uneducated abd disrespectful. My point here is it really depends on the person and context as I have heard the word used by many different people from mang deifferent backgrounds.
Reply 5
I reckon people use it so frequently now because of its widespread use in music, hip hop/rap specifically.

I wouldn't say I'm offended per se but I do feel a little uncomfortable when non-blacks use it.

Thing is, I don't know if I'd want to say blacks should stop using the word altogether, just that you can't really expect to use it so frequently and so nonchalantly and not expect others to pick it up and use it.

I also belive in the whole idea of "your enslaved ancestors wouldn't want you to continue using a, what was once derogatory and abusive term, as a means to refer to each other."
I jump a bit if I hear a white person say it. If I know them and they say it to me, I know they're joking

I don't even think black people should use it. I only ever call a black guy that, if they are acting so stupid or they're just a low life. The n-word was used when segregation was legit, but even after it was made illegal, by racist whites. We shouldn't be referring ourselves with such a derogative term

I get that rappers use that to refer to a black man. But they're just encouraging the use of the word. I swear hip-hop/rap just laughs at the efforts people like MLK fought for, makes it look like nothing now
Original post by cambio wechsel

I am white. If I used that expression in discussion with my white friends, they would be shocked. If I used it to a black person I would anticipate a (rightly) hostile response.

Really? I live in liverpool and honestly everybody says it. Even one in front of black people. Nobody was shocked except me.
Really? I live in liverpool and honestly everybody says it. Even one in front of black people. Nobody was shocked except me.

nothing is shocking in Liverpool.
Reply 9
Its scary but I am accustom to anyone of any creed or colour to use the word. To me it's just an overused word
Original post by Bill_Gates
nothing is shocking in Liverpool.

lol, this is no lie!
Original post by Not Anonymous
I jump a bit if I hear a white person say it. If I know them and they say it to me, I know they're joking...

Original post by nétajcr
I reckon people use it so frequently now because of its widespread use in music, hip hop/rap specifically....

Original post by Shan.Shan
Honestly it depends on who is saying it bot the country....

To be honest I don't get WHY people feel like they need to say it. The whole "we take the word back" attitude is just weird to me. Like why do you need to keep saying this ugly word (ugly because of it's history)? Where is the "power" in that?
Reply 12
The n-word is repulsive and shouldn't be used by anyone, whether they're white, asian or black. To be honest, I'm more disappointed when black people say it because in my mind I feel they should know better, they should remember that same word they express so flippantly was use to brand and suppress their ancestors. Appropriating and glamorising its use can never be justified.

If it becomes universally accepted that black people should have the licence to employ the word in expression, I can't see how white and asian people could be prevented from doing the same. To ring fence specific words for specific races certainly rings the bells of racism to me. That said, I rather the word wasn't used at all. Joe Morton did a short, emotive essay last year which I really recommend everyone to read: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-morton/the-nword-as-sculpture_b_4915234.html
From what I've seen across different countries, the main factors between people getting offended or not is whether it's n***a or n***er, and the tone in which someone says it. When it ends in "a" it's just more of a slang thing that's spread around and generally isn't meant in a negative way, whereas when it ends in "er" then it's generally taken to be more offensive as it has a much stronger connotation to it. That being said, tone/context and intent is everything - I went on a service project to Morocco last year and when one of the kids from the Berber village rather innocently said n***er and the teacher from my school (mixed) flipped **** at him, he was shocked and extremely apologetic because he had assumed it was OK from hearing it in songs etc. If this was someone from an upper middle-class neighbourhood who had said it in a condescending manner, knowing perfectly well the offense it could cause, then it would quite clearly be considered as offensive.
(edited 8 years ago)
To be honest I don't get WHY people feel like they need to say it. The whole "we take the word back" attitude is just weird to me. Like why do you need to keep saying this ugly word (ugly because of it's history)? Where is the "power" in that?

Think the power comes from the fact that it is an ugly word and yet the black community has changed a word which was once used to condemn them and has found a new meaning for it. The n word used to be used in a way of showing superiority and power now its being used in friendship, family and just to talk about another person. Point is, its a word once used for bad so the power comes from knowing you are able to use the word in another way. Being able to know you can use the word for something different than its original meaning could make one feel powerful
Original post by Shan.Shan
Think the power comes from the fact that it is an ugly word and yet the black community has changed a word which was once used to condemn them and has found a new meaning for it. The n word used to be used in a way of showing superiority and power now its being used in friendship, family and just to talk about another person. Point is, its a word once used for bad so the power comes from knowing you are able to use the word in another way. Being able to know you can use the word for something different than its original meaning could make one feel powerful

Oh I see, didn't think of it in that way.
Original post by cambio wechsel

I live in Leeds and I have the same experience as the Liverpudlian in the OP with this. So, no, you shouldn't generalise to the whole of the UK. I hear ***** quite a lot and say it myself when extremely frustrated, or, just if I'm singing along to a song that has it in it...

I listen to quite a lot of offensive music though...

But yeah, I can't imagine your white friends are from working class families if they'de be "shocked". I mean... I dunno.
Reply 17
i call my black friends it all the time but wouldn't say it outside of my group
I am black and I always wondered how I would react if I was called the word by a stranger on the street and a few months ago I got my chance to react to this scenario. As I was walking back to Sixth form after grabbing lunch I walked pass a skinny middle aged white guy with a can of beer in his hands, and just after I looked at him for half a second he shouted out "N****r! F*ck Off N****r!"

I continued walking like nothing happened as I was trying not to believe what just happened but I soon had to except it. So yes pretty much all blacks would get offended if a non-black stranger says the words toward them in a very aggressive manner. However a significant amount of blacks use the word amongst themselves and wouldn't mind if non-black friends said it a friendly or joky way,but there are obviously other blacks who HATE the word and they don't use it and expect no one else around them to.
Original post by Xin Xang
What a load of bullcrap.

The derivative of the word is irrelevant to its current meaning.

I'm sure you can trace the word **** back to a time when it was a compliment, doesn't mean it has good connotations now does it.

A meaning was attached to the word, and whether you like it or not, the word has a very dark history.

It actually is based in a word that means slovenly and stupid (often used as a synonym for the lowest social classes which is why it was used to describe slaves) and has no connection to skin colour or race. Admittedly it has a certain predetermined connotation however offense is taken, not given. The word itself isn't problematic, rather the way in which its used defines what it means. If I use it towards a black person as a term of endearment that's not racist (for example if I was involved in the form of culture in which its common usage I would expect to use it in the same way other races do).

Racism by definition is a belief and cannot be conveyed by the simple use of a word if the intention isn't to demean the race to whom its said. Just because a word has negative connotations doesn't mean it has to continue to do so after its been reclaimed particularly as it seems somewhat racist unto itself to go 'this word is not for white people' without any sense of irony whatsoever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending