The Student Room Group

Reapplying to medicine but already got offers?

If on results day I came out with 3 A*s would turning down a medicine offer and reapplying be crazy?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Epigram?
If on results day I came out with 3 A*s would turning down a medicine offer and reapplying still be as crazy as it was previously?

Yes.
(edited 8 years ago)
If on results day I came out with 3 A*s would turning down a medicine offer and reapplying be crazy?

Yes, you're not guaranteed offers next cycle, and do you really want to go through admissions tests, interviews etc. again.

Where have you been offered a place and where are you hoping you'd get in next year?

The only vaguely legitimate argument for doing this that I can think of would be if, say, you were from the Shetland Islands and your only offer was from Bristol, and there was some reason why living that far away from home would be a problem. I can't really think why else you would be contemplating this unless it's due to some misguided idea about getting into a 'better' medical school. :s-smilie:

Reapplying for what? medicine, yes. Not medicine then of course it's not stupid to turn down medicine.
Reply 5
I had offers from Cardiff, Birmingham and Liverpool. I have placed Cardiff as my firm. I was rejected from Oxford after my interview.

Last year I decided where to apply based almost entirely on admissions criteria and perceived level of competition rather than whether I was suited to a particular course. I would've ideally wanted to apply to places such as imperial and UCL and I feel that I may have overestimated to an extent how competive these places would be , especially now after seeing classmates with lower GCSEs, AS scores and bmat scores getting accepted.

I understand that reapplying is always a huge risk, but I feel like I was far too risk averse this year and as a result may be going to a university I am not suited to.
I had offers from Cardiff, Birmingham and Liverpool. I have placed Cardiff as my firm. I was rejected from Oxford after my interview.

Last year I decided where to apply based almost entirely on admissions criteria and perceived level of competition rather than whether I was suited to a particular course. I would've ideally wanted to apply to places such as imperial and UCL and I feel that I may have overestimated to an extent how competive these places would be , especially now after seeing classmates with lower GCSEs, AS scores and bmat scores getting accepted.

I understand that reapplying is always a huge risk, but I feel like I was far too risk averse this year and as a result may be going to a university I am not suited to.

[Brushing aside the fact that grades-on-paper aren't necessarily the best way to estimate your peers].

Okay.. so what is it about the courses at Imperial/UCL/Oxford that makes you think you would be better suited to those universities?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
They're all fairly traditional lecture based courses and this is the method which I think would be most effective for my style of learning. Cardiff and Liverpool both utilise problem/case based learning which I don't think I will adapt to well. Birmingham does have a greater volume of lecture teaching time but other aspects of the course like the infrequent prosection and the very large year group put me off.

I will concede that a slight desire to go to a "more prestigious" university is also a factor even through I understand that this makes little to no difference. While prestige has no impact on practical matters such a foundation applications it certainly does have an impact on my own self-esteem. I feel as if the work I've done over my school career to achieve the highest possibly grades has been in vain as I've ultimately ended up somewhere I could've in theory got to with far lower achievements. I don't mean for that to come across as arrogant in any way, it's simply the thoughts I've been having.

In the end I'm unlikely to actually reapply, as has already been mentioned the stress of repeating admissions tests etc once again would not be pleasant. I just want to explore the possibly so my final decision is well informed and I don't regret not investigating this in the years to come.
I'd say this is a massive waste of your time and energy and this logic only makes sense to people aged 17-18 (I understand I've been there myself). Plus what are you even going to do with yourself for a year? Live at home for most of the year? Remember whilst your doing that you could be having fun at university making new friends, meeting a partner(s) etc. I had a forced gap year and it was the worst year of my life by a significant margin.
(edited 8 years ago)
It would be insane and you would be entitled to absolutely zero sympathy from anyone if you then failed to get any offers upon re-applying.
They're all fairly traditional lecture based courses and this is the method which I think would be most effective for my style of learning. Cardiff and Liverpool both utilise problem/case based learning which I don't think I will adapt to well. Birmingham does have a greater volume of lecture teaching time but other aspects of the course like the infrequent prosection and the very large year group put me off.

I will concede that a slight desire to go to a "more prestigious" university is also a factor even through I understand that this makes little to no difference. While prestige has no impact on practical matters such a foundation applications it certainly does have an impact on my own self-esteem. I feel as if the work I've done over my school career to achieve the highest possibly grades has been in vain as I've ultimately ended up somewhere I could've in theory got to with far lower achievements. I don't mean for that to come across as arrogant in any way, it's simply the thoughts I've been having.

In the end I'm unlikely to actually reapply, as has already been mentioned the stress of repeating admissions tests etc once again would not be pleasant. I just want to explore the possibly so my final decision is well informed and I don't regret not investigating this in the years to come.

Oh get over it. Medical science is the same wherever you learn it. Fair enough if PBL isn't your favourite style of learning (and small group work wasn't mine either) but it's only for two years, not the rest of your life. Most of your learning will be done by yourself, PBL or lectures are more for guidance than anything else. You'll still have to go away and hammer the concepts into your head by yourself, and you can do that just as well at Cardiff as anywhere else.

Medicine is filled with pointless hoop jumping, irritating exercises, and things you'd just simply rather not be doing. It starts the day you set foot into medical school and continues until you retire. I suggest you get used to it.

I think this is almost entirely about your self-esteem, as you've identified yourself. Your efforts clearly haven't been in vain: you got into medical school,; most of the other applicants didn't. The problem is not with Cardiff, it's with you, so I'll say it again: get over it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Democracy
Oh get over it. Medical science is the same wherever you learn it. Fair enough if PBL isn't your favourite style of learning (and small group work wasn't mine either) but it's only for two years, not the rest of your life. Most of your learning will be done by yourself, PBL or lectures are more for guidance than anything else. You'll still have to go away and hammer the concepts into your head by yourself, and you can do that just as well at Cardiff as anywhere else.

Medicine is filled with pointless hoop jumping, irritating exercises, and things you'd just simply rather not be doing. It starts the day you set foot into medical school and continues until you retire. I suggest you get used to it.

I think this is almost entirely about your self-esteem, as you've identified yourself. Your efforts clearly haven't been in vain: you got into medical school,; most of the other applicants didn't. The problem is not with Cardiff, it's with you, so I'll say it again: get over it.

The bold part especially. OP, wherever you go you will find aspects of the course that you don't like. Also, without wanting to sound patronising, you may have done small group work in school, but you're unlikely to have had anything quite like a day of university lectures before. So while you may know from school that you dislike small group teaching, your dislike of lectures might be even bigger (I know that was the case with me).

Just stick with the course(s) you've already got onto, really. I think it'd be a mistake to throw away what you have now in (as I said earlier) what seems to be a misguided notion of achieving something 'better'.
Original post by Democracy

:cannon:PRSOM

Yeah exactly how I felt. Thats why I re-applied to KCL + Barts (2 fairly prestigious unis?) after taking involuntary gap year..got offers from both luckily
Absolute stupidity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by solarplexus
Yeah exactly how I felt. Thats why I re-applied to KCL + Barts (2 fairly prestigious unis?) after taking involuntary gap year..got offers from both luckily

I thought you reapplied because you got no Medicine offers? Not really the same... are you just here to rub the OP's nose in the fact that you got offers from unis you perceive as more prestigious than Cardiff?
Original post by Ronove
I thought you reapplied because you got no Medicine offers? Not really the same... are you just here to rub the OP's nose in the fact that you got offers from unis you perceive as more prestigious than Cardiff?

INVOLUNTARY GAP YEAR I SAID. Implying that I was forced to take a gap year because I received no offers last year for medicine.

I also applied to KCL + Barts last year. And I also applied to KCL + Barts this year. Therefore I re-applied to KCL + Barts this year.

All I am saying is, I know what the OP feels like.
A bird in the hand etc etc
Original post by solarplexus
INVOLUNTARY GAP YEAR I SAID. Implying that I was forced to take a gap year because I received no offers last year for medicine.

I also applied to KCL + Barts last year. And I also applied to KCL + Barts this year. Therefore I re-applied to KCL + Barts this year.

All I am saying is, I know what the OP feels like.

How is this the same? OP has offers and is considering giving them up to apply to different universities, thereby taking a VOLUNTARY gap year....

Posted from TSR Mobile

To most people yes, as they would probably be happy that they have offers. But if you really don't like your offers, its better to reapply as that will determine where you will spend the next half a decade. Obviously, you run the risk of not getting into medical school at all the next time round, so you have to think about whether it's worth it to reapply to get into a place that you prefer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending