The Student Room Group

Lost my National Insurance number and I have a job starting Monday!

Help!

I have a job that starts on Monday and I need my National Insurance number. But I think I threw it away when I got it, as I didn't know I would ever need it.

There's a service on HMRC that will post your number to you, but I can't contact them until tomorrow and it certainly won't arrive by Monday.

Is there any way I can find out my number in a way that the company will accept? (I'm guessing you need an official form from HMRC to present to them?)
You just need to know the number lol. I have mine saved in a Google Drive document.
You can find your National Insurance number on your payslip, P60 or tax return.
Original post by Treeroy
Help!

I have a job that starts on Monday and I need my National Insurance number. But I think I threw it away when I got it, as I didn't know I would ever need it.

There's a service on HMRC that will post your number to you, but I can't contact them until tomorrow and it certainly won't arrive by Monday.

Is there any way I can find out my number in a way that the company will accept? (I'm guessing you need an official form from HMRC to present to them?)

My sibling managed to talk about their N.I. In a job centre, maybe they could help you.

Can't you talk to the supervisor about it?

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:
Original post by Treeroy

I think I threw it away when I got it, as I didn't know I would ever need it.

:facepalm2:
Hah! Threw it away because you never thought you'd need it? - Trust me.... you're gonna prove yourself wrong within a couple of years mate.

But don't sweat it. If the job starts Monday then I'm sure they can cut a bit of slack. They should have collected the NI Number BEFORE you starting work anyway ideally...

Original post by blackened_sky

I know! I don't think you could make it up... considering the letter says:NIN LLLLLL.jpg
Original post by Lord Jon

I know! I don't think you could make it up... considering the letter says:NIN LLLLLL.jpg

Aye I got mine out to check and one of the first things it says is "keep in a safe place" hahaha.
Aye I got mine out to check and one of the first things it says is "keep in a safe place" hahaha.

LMAO, the irony when I think I've lost mine somewhere while redecorating....

Even more ironic: mine was the card so I'm still entitled to a replacement, not the new paper system hahah
Reply 8
Original post by aaronlowe
You can find your National Insurance number on your payslip, P60 or tax return.

I never had a job before so I don't have any of those things.

Original post by Firenze26
My sibling managed to talk about their N.I. In a job centre, maybe they could help you.Can't you talk to the supervisor about it?P.S.Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:
I'm sure I can talk to them about it, I've sent off the form to get your number to HMRC so it should arrive some time next week.
I was 16... I didn't know :smile:

a lot of forms say that and you don't need them.
Original post by Treeroy

I was 16... I didn't know :smile:

a lot of forms say that and you don't need them.

Did you not read the letter?! I got mine when I was 15, managed to acknowledge the "keep in a safe place" part.

I don't think I've ever come across a form that told me to keep it in a safe place, that I didn't need at some point.
I've memorised mine o.O
Why don't people have these things all stored up in their heads?
Reply 12
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Why don't people have these things all stored up in their heads?

Maybe some of us don't remember random strings of numbers and letters?
Original post by Treeroy
Maybe some of us don't remember random strings of numbers and letters?

Well, bet you're regretting that now.
Original post by Treeroy
I never had a job before so I don't have any of those things.

I thought that might be the case but wanted to make sure those options were put out on the thread incase they were of use. Would be interesting to learn what the solution is.

You could try emailing the DWP at [email protected]
Be sure to point out that the methods I suggested won't apply to you as you've never worked or they may provide the same pro-forma response.

Sorry I can't think of anything quicker than asking at a Jobcentre but often they introduce more delay than it's worth. I've got a feeling you may have to complete a form as they aren't just going to tell you. You could also ask for a temporary number. Also, your parents should know what it is if they've ever claimed child benefit which is not means tested, I'm guessing. Maybe the Child Benefits Agency might know.

For anyone else who may find this thread, there's also CAB online at:
England - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/?lang=en-GB
N Ireland - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/?lang=en-NIR
Scotland - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/?lang=en-SCT
Wales - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/?lang=en-WLS
Cymru (Gaelic) - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/?lang=cy

Or by phone:
03444 77 20 20 - Wales
03444 111 444 - England
028 9023 6522 - N Ireland
0808 800 9060 - Scotland

0808 numbers can be called free on mobiles by calling 01200 490800 first