The Student Room Group

Routes into Med School

So i was just after some advice and guidance towards medical school entry. I have always known that I wanted to be a doctor- (neonatologist)- but just don't have the competitive grades to match. Im predicted A/B B C in biology, sociology and chemistry and have 10 1/2 GCSE's C and above. However I do have a lot of work experience at some of the top hospitals in the country. I know that I could do biomed then transfer but I don't think thats for me. Is it possible to transfer from midwifery as the entry requirements are a lot lower and if so does anyone know what universities accept this? Thanks
if you can afford it you can try to go to Poland or Holland to do it.
Original post by Tomoko_Kuroki
if you can afford it you can try to go to Poland or Holland to do it.

Even Milano!
Original post by megbowie
So i was just after some advice and guidance towards medical school entry. I have always known that I wanted to be a doctor- (neonatologist)- but just don't have the competitive grades to match. Im predicted A/B B C in biology, sociology and chemistry and have 10 1/2 GCSE's C and above. However I do have a lot of work experience at some of the top hospitals in the country. I know that I could do biomed then transfer but I don't think thats for me. Is it possible to transfer from midwifery as the entry requirements are a lot lower and if so does anyone know what universities accept this? Thanks

I think you need to reconsider the use of the word "transfer" - you will be expected to finish your degree (biomed, midwifery, whatever) before you can start graduate entry medicine. It is not a transfer - it is reapplying for medicine, you will still need to do the UKCAT/GAMSAT, attend interviews, etc.

From what I hear, midwifery is very competitive so it's not the easiest course to get onto either. Personally, I also think it's a bit unfair to do a course like midwifery which many people genuinely really want to do, then jump ship to medicine as soon as you can. At least if you do a science degree you're not taking anyone else's opportunities. Or depriving the NHS of newly qualified midwives.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending