The Student Room Group

Why can't black people stand to see non-Black rappers??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eva.Gregoria
To tell the truth, there was an element of playing devils advocate in that post as I am trying to highlight that people who say 'the only difference is the colour of my skin' are not being very honest with themselves.

Despite that, I still don't see an issue with acting white or black if you identify with the culture of that race, I can only see it as a good thing. If more and more people did it, the cultures and experiences of all races may just become as similar as possible which of course may eliminate racism. Or maybe racism will always exist and this is just wishful thinking.

Homogeneity of culture isn't a good thing. There are other, less destructive ways to combat racism.
There's nothing wrong with 'acting black' just as there's nothing wrong with 'acting white'.

If we truly believe that there's no difference between people except the colour of their skin then culture appropriation shouldn't be an issue.

So....blacking up is ok?
Reply 62
Original post by GlosJihadSquad
Hip Hop and Rap have been declining since the 80s. Unlike the House movement they got swallowed up by their inherent culture of division, bigotry, greed, general reactionary vibes. House/Garage has never been afraid to mix everything up whether black/white, male female etc...

This is false. Rap is arguably bigger today than it ever was. In the 80s top rap artists like Public Enemy and Run D.M.C were performing at theatres and clubs in American cities, but now you got Jay Z and Kanye booking stadiums worldwide from London to France
Original post by tavtavtav
I'm pretty sure there were quite a few white winners at the MOBO (music of black origin) awards.

If black people on the whole had such a big problem with white white musicians i'm sure this would never have happened.

Firstly, the Mobos are practically owned by white people. The original owner sold it of years ago, and that's when the white washing began.
Idk about rap, but people weren't very happy about Sam sweeping.
Original post by Liquid Harvest
Because Eminem is by far the best rapper of all time and they can't stand that. They hate him for it. So naturally they're against anyone who isn't black who tries to get into the rap game. The game is rigged.

Lol what on earth are you talking about? Em wouldn't be were he is today without black people. You're having a laugh.
That being said, Em might be a great rapper or the greatest if you will, but he's definitely not the best rap artist.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 63
There's nothing wrong with 'acting black' just as there's nothing wrong with 'acting white'.

If we truly believe that there's no difference between people except the colour of their skin then culture appropriation shouldn't be an issue.

Nope. There are differences between people's culture and we should respecter that.
Original post by Liquid Harvest
Eminem has been consistent, never releasing a weak record. He's the best rapper ever, hands down, no question about it. Eminem came into the game and left everyone else struggling and fighting for second place, the king claimed his throne while everyone else fought for scraps.

I beg your pardon? Em has "consistent" because he has been releasing the same damn record for the last 10 years. Literally no growth as an artist. His flow is the same, his production is the same, it's all the same. Rap God sounded straight outta the 2000s. He will never be my best because his timbre is excruciatingly forced, shrill, nasal and ugly.
As for leaving everyone with scraps, are you talking about success?
1st of all, there are several rap artists more critically acclaimed than Eminem
Secondly, Eminem by his own admission said he wouldn't be as successful if he wasn't white. SIT DOWN.

Original post by ChickenMadness
lol its just music. hip hop is more 'american' than black anyway. don't really see many hip hop stars coming out of africa.

it's not about africa. firstly hip hop is an african american and caribbean thing, not african. so no one is even concerned about africans when discussing hip hop.

secondly it's about the culture being parodied or stolen or rewritten as something other than homage to african american culture. If it weren't for hip hop I don't even think blacks would be on the map the way they are now. it's just a threat to pro blacks the same way if whites took over kung fu and martial arts film :colonhash: or if a whole bunch of blacks started riverdancing.
Original post by Truths
x

Do you really need to post these gifs?

This is not Tumblr. You've been doing this for ages, it isn't doing your posts any favours.
jealousy
Reply 67
Original post by Wilfred Little
Do you really need to post these gifs?

This is not Tumblr. You've been doing this for ages, it isn't doing your posts any favours.

And do you really need to make this complaint the 10th time over? I've been posting gifs since 2014. And I've continued to do so till this day. Aint **** u can do about it. What's the yams ponk?

We don't like wiggers that try to be black.
If you are a legit, talented artist that knows about the roots of the genre then you're welcome, no matter your skin colour. Some black folks may feel like white people are invading their space, which hiphop was and still is.
hip hop is more american, uk more grime
Original post by MoshBosh
Best rappers atm:

Kendrick
Logic - just my opinion people
J Cole
Iggy (haha jk)

Kendrick yeh, kinda lost a bit of respect for him when he's gone on that taylor swift record, even if it is catchy, just seems like he sold his game for $$

A$AP Rocky, Schoolboy Q and possibly Wiz Khalifa with Kendrick Lamar are the best hip-hop artists atm imo
Why is El-P never mentioned in these best rappers ATM discussions? :biggrin:

Plenty of music critics had Run The Jewels 2 as their best album last year.

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9558-the-50-best-albums-of-2014/5/

El-P man. This album is actually free on the RTJ website as well.

RTJ3 soon come.
Reply 72
Original post by Catholic_
Not all, but some always moan about it saying it's being stolen. Does it matter if Hip-Hop was majority non-Black by tomorrow??

Music is music. Hip-Hop belongs to non-Blacks as much as Blacks.

Hello this is 1999 calling. Does anyone still care really?
Reply 73
Original post by Truths
Nope. There are differences between people's culture and we should respecter that.

I beg your pardon? Em has "consistent" because he has been releasing the same damn record for the last 10 years. Literally no growth as an artist. His flow is the same, his production is the same, it's all the same. Rap God sounded straight outta the 2000s. He will never be my best because his timbre is excruciatingly forced, shrill, nasal and ugly.
As for leaving everyone with scraps, are you talking about success?
1st of all, there are several rap artists more critically acclaimed than Eminem
Secondly, Eminem by his own admission said he wouldn't be as successful if he wasn't white. SIT DOWN.

Mate have you heard his feature on the new Yelawolf record tho? Murks it
OP, this is a MASSIVE generalisation so take a seat.

AND Novascope... Rock music was actually invented by the Black people and has been dominated by "white people"... I think this is WHY they are so passionate about Hip Hop.

F you OP.

Original post by Novascope
I could say the same about white people and Rock? Like seriously who cares if a few people get upset by other races taking on music that may have been created by them.

I said op is angry about blacks because my first interaction with them was probs an hour ago where they were complaining about black people and minorities, plus with me seeing previous posts and threads, then he makes this thread tonight? So clearly he is angry or bothered in some way. But nice of you to defend him :smile:
I'm one of those black people who is not fan of white rappers.

Why ?

When we live in world we everyone is told that white people are :

The Fathers Of Science.
The Fathers Of Maths.
The Fathers Of Physics.
The Fathers Of Civilisations.

The most intelligent man of all time? Einstein.
The greatest explorer of all time ? Columbus.
The greatest author of time ? Dickens.
The greatest poet of all time ? Shakespeare.
The greatest painters of all time are white men ? Da Vinci, Picasso, Turner.

Now I think that is very racist white supremacist view of the world.

On to hip hop. Look - It's got to the point where white people are saying "Look !! We can be black BETTER THAN YOU !!

Biggest Rnb singer in the world ? Timberlake
Biggest rapper in the world ? Eminem
Hottest soul/rnb singer in the UK ? Jessie J - Sam Smith
Biggest selling soul singer in the last five years ? Adele. Before that ? Amy Winehouse

Sure you can argue "Well no Drake is bigger, or Jay Z is biiger"But regardless, it's like arguing who is better player Ronaldo or Messi.

This would not happen in the reverse. White people they would nor allow that.They would not allow black rock band to be as big U2, Coldplay, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd.

Remember how many white people were angry at Jay Z headlining Glastonbury and the same voices are angry that Kayne West is headlining Glastonbury in August. Even though Glastonbury is a music festival. Not a rock festival. But when white people feel something is theirs they protect that till death

And it's not just whites. Let a Black person you go over to Bollywood and try n make it over there. They would not last ten seconds. But if Asian / Arab rapper came along tomorrow he could play brixton academy and they’d be loved by some black people. Like that fake Arab rapper Sean Paul

We also have Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber all tryna be street and hardcore. But notice when Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus goes on Jonathan Ross or some interview where it's a white udience. Notice how they lose their "Yo, no what am saying" talk. They switch up when they need to be.

I’ve noticed on X-Factor and programmes like that Simon Cowell and the rest on the panel practically wet themselves when they get that white boy with a soul (Olly Murs) or a Jessie J, white girl who sings like black women. The thing with white rappers and people in general is that they think being black is how you talk and act and think and dress.

What makes you black is nothing like that. What makes you black is how white people act towards you because of how you look. So they use black bodies in their vids, and usually don’t show black faces just black arses in their vids. They don’t have to deal with the consequences of indulging in our culture.They get to use what others have created and water it down to the point that the original purpose is lost and the originators are silenced.

Seems like in this society, nothing is respected until it gets the white seal of approval.

Black women have had full, beautiful lips since forever, but the mainstream saw them as big and ugly. But on Angelina Jolie, a white Hollywood actress, they became beautiful. And know we have hordes of white women getting lip injections.

Fact is whiteness steals and “refashions” parts of other people’s cultures without giving an ounce of credit or respect to those who not only created the culture in the first place, but who live and breathe it every day. So, a cultural aspect is never considered “right” in mainstream society until whiteness appropriates it, thereby making the aspect completely devoid of context and history.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Wilfred Little
Why is El-P never mentioned in these best rappers ATM discussions? :biggrin:

Plenty of music critics had Run The Jewels 2 as their best album last year.

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9558-the-50-best-albums-of-2014/5/

El-P man. This album is actually free on the RTJ website as well.

RTJ3 soon come.

I listened to RTJ2 but I didn't really feel it. There were a few good songs but since I couldn't get into the album couldn't really talk about his lyrical ability. Saying that I really like Killer Mike. Like that Georgia/ATL black voice, sounds raw on tracks. Andre 3000 obviously was the pioneer for that Georgia voice.
Reply 77
I guess it's something they consider to be theirs and no white can do it properly cuz it's in the blood?
Original post by jam277
I listened to RTJ2 but I didn't really feel it. There were a few good songs but since I couldn't get into the album couldn't really talk about his lyrical ability. Saying that I really like Killer Mike. Like that Georgia/ATL black voice, sounds raw on tracks. Andre 3000 obviously was the pioneer for that Georgia voice.

What didn't you like about it? And did you like RTJ1? Give it another couple listens, and if you've not heard it, definitely get The Cold Vein. El-P is a producer as well, produced those albums.

Spoiler

Try them innit. If those aren't two of the illest beats you've heard then I don't know.

Also you might like R.A.P. Music, it's Killer Mike's album but El-P produced it.

And yeah Andre :cool:
A lot of great music genres are created in black communities and then a white person plays the music and gets the credit. The blues were made popular by the rolling stones, rock and roll was made popular by elvis etc. I would find this frustrating if I was a black person because its racism in its purest form, refusing to give credit to someone with fantastic talent just because of the colour of there skin. Its almost like white people wouldn't accept that black people were capable of things that white people were. unfair. Also, now when people say they love rap/hip hop and say that eminem is the best and he essentially is the founder of this music its frustrating because its happening again in this day and age. thats my opinion anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending