The Student Room Group

anyone think there are too many private student halls of residence ??

These businesses seem to have popped up quite a lot recently
Let's face it. The only people who stay in those are rich international students and that's who these business target. More international students = more private student halls = £££

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree with this.
There's so many; I mean yeah, there's more demand for accommodation than before, but some of the new buildings seem unnecessary. As if they're just there for the 'look' or something 'new'.
Original post by Moonstruck16
Let's face it. The only people who stay in those are rich international students and that's who these business target. More international students = more private student halls = £££

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually its kids with well off parents and I don't mean upper class, I see ones about £120-£140 per week in Glasgow that are not even catered(one has its own gym but most students are too drunk to use it) and even as much as £185 in Edinburgh!

I paid £115 8 years ago at uni but that was with 3 meals a day, in Cumbria I checked one about 6 years ago that was £130 per week then including nothing, tiny rooms and about £400 fees!

I only see 18 year olds who live off mummy and daddies money who are the same ones who trash properties in them.
Reply 4
i guess
Reply 5
Like this one?
http://thestudenthousingcompany.com/locations/oxford/alice-house/
£235 for a studio in Oxford seems ok? :redface:

I think that the fees should include accommodation; unis should therefore have as many rooms as students (excluding part-time and mature students).
Reply 6
whats wrong with renting a normal house of flat :frown:
the private halls i stayed in were cheaper than the uni owned ones, which i thought was a little strange
Original post by hi2u_uk
whats wrong with renting a normal house of flat :frown:

Its mostly for 1st years because when I was at uni they had accomodation fairs in Jan every year and people took houses in groups, annoyed me as I am autistic so had no one to go with so couldnt get the cheap high quality accomodation(as in you could get it for like £50 a week) all that was left by a few weeks later was about £80 or £90 for a room in a house.

Plus many students like to party in their 1st year, I am staying for a summer course at private halls which in normal student time has regular events and is literally 4 minutes walk from loads of clubs and student union bar and many students just want to slip into bed at night and out without commuting even if its as little as a 15 minute walk.

These halls are brand new, they weere £55 a week for anyone who signed up and stayed up to about May, any sign ups after that went to £69 but only for summer and £89 for term time which is quite a difference considering you can get a studio flat in the are for as cheap as £250 per month which are mintues walk from uni(though not very smart looking)

Something to remember is if you stay in university accomodation you do not have the same rights as a private tenant, such as if the Uni claims you damaged something they cant be challenged easily, and its easier to remove you unlike a private rent where landlords tell students they can be chucked out whenever which is wrong as they cant be chucked out during their contract etc/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by drbluebox
Actually its kids with well off parents and I don't mean upper class, I see ones about £120-£140 per week in Glasgow that are not even catered(one has its own gym but most students are too drunk to use it) and even as much as £185 in Edinburgh!

I paid £115 8 years ago at uni but that was with 3 meals a day, in Cumbria I checked one about 6 years ago that was £130 per week then including nothing, tiny rooms and about £400 fees!

I only see 18 year olds who live off mummy and daddies money who are the same ones who trash properties in them.

Ah fair enough but as I'm a London uni student I was more referring to the halls of residence here. £185 does not even compare to the price of some private halls in London.
Original post by Moonstruck16
Ah fair enough but as I'm a London uni student I was more referring to the halls of residence here. £185 does not even compare to the price of some private halls in London.

Theres some around the £200 mark in Edinburgh and a lot of private lets that are 2-4 thousand a month for like a 3 or 4 bedroom house WITHOUT bills thats like a grand a month each and still bills on top.

Whats funny about that is the student area is as much as £5 a pint of Tennents, then literally there in the space of a few hundred yards its the poorer areas where you can pay £2 for a pint of premium ale brand names like McEwans SPA, cheap take aways etc.
Depends where you are.

I go to uni in Cornwall and there are only two accommodation sites ran by the university, and it's mainly for first years. So second and third years all have to live in houses :smile:
Original post by drbluebox
Theres some around the £200 mark in Edinburgh and a lot of private lets that are 2-4 thousand a month for like a 3 or 4 bedroom house WITHOUT bills thats like a grand a month each and still bills on top.

Whats funny about that is the student area is as much as £5 a pint of Tennents, then literally there in the space of a few hundred yards its the poorer areas where you can pay £2 for a pint of premium ale brand names like McEwans SPA, cheap take aways etc.

I envy all of you non-Londoners so much. The amount of money I have to deal with brings tears to my eyes sometimes :bawling:

Quick Reply

Latest