The Student Room Group

Transferring University for a better chance in Investment Banking?

Hello. I'm studying a BSc in Mathematics with Finance and Economics at City University London. I've just finished my first year and I'm expecting to receive a 1st this year. I have received an offer to study at King's College London contingent upon achieving 65% this year. In addition to this I have just been successful in attaining a first year summer internship at State Street for Risk & Credit. Unfortunately, as my modules at City are different from King's, I will have to start again from scratch as a first year. Initially I chose to transfer because I thought that a RG, semi-target with prestige would be more likely to land me an internship at a BB whereas graduating from City may require me to complete an MMath and possibly a PhD to get a Front Office role at a Bulge Bracket. I was wondering what your thoughts were. Is it worth sacrificing a year? Is it pointless? I really hope somebody can help me.
Thanks guys!

Scroll to see replies

Have you tried possibly talking with UCL or Imperial about transferring to either? They would vastly increase your chances of getting a BB in comparison to King's.
Reply 2
I spoke to UCL and it was a no unless I improved my A-Levels. I achieved 5A*s and 6As at GCSE and kinda flunked A-Levels with BCCc in Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and PE respectively :/
I'd be wary about the A level requirements most banks hold, although I've heard some are taking those away to allow for equal access
Reply 4
I doubt Imperial would take me even if I resit and achieved A*A*Aa. I'm just worried about King's Vs City. I don't want to make a mistake and sacrifice a year for a nothing or sacrifice a 1st for a 2:2.
Stick it out at City get a 1st and do a Masters at another uni if you can afford it is my personal opinion. Speak to Noble about Maths at other uni's.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I'd agree with Econight. To be honest, with a B in A-Level Maths you're going to want to be careful about transferring universities because it does get a lot harder, very quickly (although the difference between City and KCL is probably nowhere near as big as the difference between KCL and Imperial). If you're getting a first, you could probably move, but it'd still be a risk (and probably not much use as KCL isn't really a target either). If you would be able to afford to do a masters at a better university after graduating, then I'd stick with it. If you wouldn't be able to, it's a harder decision, there would be some benefit to going to KCL but perhaps not when you weigh up having to restart the year.

It's also worth mentioning that if you're transferring from Maths with Finance and Economics to a more 'straight' maths course, the maths is likely going to be incredibly different to the maths you've done so far.
Reply 7
Wouldn't a first year at City prepare me for the tougher Mathematics I may face? Unfortunately I'm in a position where I simultaneously have to raise my child, take care of my partner and study. The financial aspect of my life has been incredibly strained and I'm worried that I won't be able to afford a Masters. I have achieved highly in my mathematics modules this year averaging at around 80% but have been brought down by Micro/Macroeconomics. I know it's a cliché but I am a hard-worker and especially with my son being around, although he might disturb my studies, he will be a motivator for me to achieve for not only my sake but his too. Is KCL semi-target enough to help me secure more internships?
Reply 8
Original post by HamzaHawa
Hello. I'm studying a BSc in Mathematics with Finance and Economics at City University London. I've just finished my first year and I'm expecting to receive a 1st this year. I have received an offer to study at King's College London contingent upon achieving 65% this year. In addition to this I have just been successful in attaining a first year summer internship at State Street for Risk & Credit. Unfortunately, as my modules at City are different from King's, I will have to start again from scratch as a first year. Initially I chose to transfer because I thought that a RG, semi-target with prestige would be more likely to land me an internship at a BB whereas graduating from City may require me to complete an MMath and possibly a PhD to get a Front Office role at a Bulge Bracket. I was wondering what your thoughts were. Is it worth sacrificing a year? Is it pointless? I really hope somebody can help me.
Thanks guys!

Hey man

I think I've seen you around at city university.

With regards to IB, I just looked at your LinkedIn and you have a summer internship + plus other experience in accounting, if I were you I would stick it out at city.

Did you do any spring weeks?

I also applied to the widening participation scheme to tutor, I still need to book my interview. What was your interview like, any advice?
Also do you know how we get paid?

Also with regards to your financial state, can you not borrow some money from your parents?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Vorsah
Hey man

I think I've seen you around at city university.

With regards to IB, I just looked at your LinkedIn and you have a summer internship + plus other experience in accounting, if I were you I would stick it out at city.

Did you do any spring weeks?

I also applied to the widening participation scheme to tutor, I still need to book my interview. What was your interview like, any advice?
Also do you know how we get paid?

Also with regards to your financial state, can you not borrow some money from your parents?

I didn't do any spring weeks, I got rejected by most. I quit the WP scheme. I had incredible financial struggles to the point that I didn't have enough money for food and I told the team that I couldn't make it to my tutoring appointment and they accused me of lying...so yeah, I stopped working for them immediately. The interview is easy, if you can speak fluent English you've got in. The payment system is awful. You have to log in your hours and then they pay you for half the month about a month after you've done the work and it just builds up. They still owe me money for work I did a long time ago. Initially the pay seems worth it but the travelling across London to try and educate children that don't respect you is time-consuming and life-draining.

With regards to my parents supporting me; my parents aren't in the best shape financially and I'm married so I'm also expected to support myself and my family. It's shameful yes but hopefully things will look up soon.
Reply 10
I didn't do any spring weeks, I got rejected by most. I quit the WP scheme. I had incredible financial struggles to the point that I didn't have enough money for food and I told the team that I couldn't make it to my tutoring appointment and they accused me of lying...so yeah, I stopped working for them immediately. The interview is easy, if you can speak fluent English you've got in. The payment system is awful. You have to log in your hours and then they pay you for half the month about a month after you've done the work and it just builds up. They still owe me money for work I did a long time ago. Initially the pay seems worth it but the travelling across London to try and educate children that don't respect you is time-consuming and life-draining.

With regards to my parents supporting me; my parents aren't in the best shape financially and I'm married so I'm also expected to support myself and my family. It's shameful yes but hopefully things will look up soon.

I'm not too keen on tutoring either, does the money go into your bank account or do they pay you in cash?

As I said I'd still stick it out at city if I were you and apply for internships.
Did you get any interviews or assessment centres when you were applying for spring weeks?

It's not shameful man, can I ask why you got married so early?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Vorsah
I'm not too keen on tutoring either, does the money go into your bank account or do they pay you in cash?

As I said I'd still stick it out at city if I were you and apply for internships.
Did you get any interviews or assessment centres when you were applying for spring weeks?

They pay you into your bank account. They would never pay in cash :u:.
They'll give you a summary every month and at the end of the tax year you'll get a P60 form. I got to an HSBC assessment centre but I think that's about it :frown:.
Reply 12
They pay you into your bank account. They would never pay in cash :u:.
They'll give you a summary every month and at the end of the tax year you'll get a P60 form. I got to an HSBC assessment centre but I think that's about it :frown:.

You got to an assessment centre despite being at a non-target, that's an achievement.

What banks are you planning on applying to for summer internships?
And what division?
Reply 13
Original post by Vorsah
You got to an assessment centre despite being at a non-target, that's an achievement.

What banks are you planning on applying to for summer internships?
And what division?

I'll be applying to every single IB for Spring-Insights and Summer Internships. If i'm KCL then I get another round of First Year Summer Internships :smile:. I'll be applying for IB, might expand and apply to some HFs but extremely unlikely I'll even hear back from them. Looking at Risk, IBD, S&T and M&A. What're you studying and have you got anything lined up?
Reply 14
I'll be applying to every single IB for Spring-Insights and Summer Internships. If i'm KCL then I get another round of First Year Summer Internships :smile:. I'll be applying for IB, might expand and apply to some HFs but extremely unlikely I'll even hear back from them. Looking at Risk, IBD, S&T and M&A. What're you studying and have you got anything lined up?

Nice, although I'm not sure if it's a good idea to apply to more than 2 divisions. I've done insight days and one spring week. I'm interested in equity research but I might apply for IBD at certain banks too.

M&A is part of IBD btw
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Vorsah
Nice, although I'm not sure if it's a good idea to apply to more than 2 divisions. I've done insight days and one spring week. I'm interested in equity research but I might apply for IBD at certain banks too.

What're you studying and what year are you in?
Reply 16
What're you studying and what year are you in?

Maths, just finished first year
Reply 17
Original post by Vorsah
Maths, just finished first year

ahhh good luck man, FVC was brilliant :smile:
Reply 18
ahhh good luck man, FVC was brilliant :smile:

You too man, I'll see if I can find you during lectures next year provided you're not at KCL.

I don't think you attended most of the lectures though
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Vorsah
You too man, I'll see if I can find you during lectures next year provided you're not at KCL.

I don't think you attended most of the lectures though

I think I'll mull it over. Right now I'm still more geared towards King's simply because it's semi-target. I'll try and bring up my A-Levels and save for a Masters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending