The Student Room Group

Transferring University for a better chance in Investment Banking?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vorsah
x

What are you studying?
Original post by Vorsah
You got to an assessment centre despite being at a non-target, that's an achievement.

What banks are you planning on applying to for summer internships?
And what division?

Hey. Think I'll throw my 2 cents in as its a very interesting thread. You got to the HSBC assessment centre, presumably the retail banking (correct me if I'm wrong) summer internship one, as did I. I also secured a SW and have a Hedge Fund int. in Beijing. ALTHOUGH I'm not from a target. In fact my uni is around 2x lower down the league tables than yours. It truly is bad in terms of the numbers. Now, we're both from non targets but I'm still quitting (from end of first year), redoing the A Levels and hopefully getting into a target. Why? We both want front office! You applied to SW and didn't get anything. I applied to GS SW, didn't get past the screening stage!! I would consider your options. Masters may be a route, but risk = reward. If it's within your means, consider doing a fast track a level course, apply to other unis. One extra year shaping your future could vastly increase and aid your chances come SW app time in 2 years! Hope that helps. Any q's pm me!
Original post by Onlyheretoask
Hey. Think I'll throw my 2 cents in as its a very interesting thread. You got to the HSBC assessment centre, presumably the retail banking (correct me if I'm wrong) summer internship one, as did I. I also secured a SW and have a Hedge Fund int. in Beijing. ALTHOUGH I'm not from a target. In fact my uni is around 2x lower down the league tables than yours. It truly is bad in terms of the numbers. Now, we're both from non targets but I'm still quitting (from end of first year), redoing the A Levels and hopefully getting into a target. Why? We both want front office! You applied to SW and didn't get anything. I applied to GS SW, didn't get past the screening stage!! I would consider your options. Masters may be a route, but risk = reward. If it's within your means, consider doing a fast track a level course, apply to other unis. One extra year shaping your future could vastly increase and aid your chances come SW app time in 2 years! Hope that helps. Any q's pm me!

And you do know right that GS is the only bank which does not look at A-level grades right?
Original post by MaGeehkaal
And you do know right that GS is the only bank which does not look at A-level grades right?

Thanks for the info. Think that proves that for a FO role, uni brand trumps all!
Original post by HamzaHawa
They pay you into your bank account. They would never pay in cash :u:.
They'll give you a summary every month and at the end of the tax year you'll get a P60 form. I got to an HSBC assessment centre but I think that's about it :frown:.

You forgot to answer this question from Vorsah: " It's not shameful man, can I ask why you got married so early?"

If you do that, you won't be able to complete your course if you have to re-do one year in your new course.
Original post by Juichiro
If you do that, you won't be able to complete your course if you have to re-do one year in your new course.

I'm not transferring into second year. I'll be hopefully going into a target as a fresher. Anyway, don't want to hijack OPs thread
I'm not transferring into second year. I'll be hopefully going into a target as a fresher. Anyway, don't want to hijack OPs thread

That still applies. Student finance will only pay for the length of your course but won't pay for any extra years (hence, you can't fail a year).
That still applies. Student finance will only pay for the length of your course but won't pay for any extra years (hence, you can't fail a year).

I'm aware of that thanks. My local student finance board, differs from the mainland, allocates 4 years of SF. I'll take a 3 year course and the 4th year effectively covers my 1st year (which I have since vacated.)
I'm aware of that thanks. My local student finance board, differs from the mainland, allocates 4 years of SF. I'll take a 3 year course and the 4th year effectively covers my 1st year (which I have since vacated.)

The English board also allocates a full course (which can be a 3 year course - standard, a 4 year course - foundation plus Bsc or MSci or a 5 year course - MSci/FnD+BSc plus placement year). But at any point, your available allocation is current course length minus course years taken plus a gift year so just like yours, if you have taken one year and start another 3-year course, your allocation is 3 years. This means that if you start from year 1 an you fail one of the courses, you will need more than 3 years to finish and you will need money to fund one year.
Is your board the Irish?
The English board also allocates a full course (which can be a 3 year course - standard, a 4 year course - foundation plus Bsc or MSci or a 5 year course - MSci/FnD+BSc plus placement year). But at any point, your available allocation is current course length minus course years taken plus a gift year so just like yours, if you have taken one year and start another 3-year course, your allocation is 3 years. This means that if you start from year 1 an you fail one of the courses, you will need more than 3 years to finish and you will need money to fund one year.
Is your board the Irish?

That's correct. Yes, Irish
Reply 31

It was actually for a FO role not retail banking. Is King's not semi-target enough? The only problem I face is the risk of transferring to King's and sacrificing my 1st at City for a 2:1 or lower at King's. I also need a way of uplifting my A-Levels without taking a year out as UCAS won't pay for a fifth year. I've got 99 problems but at least I don't go to London Met.
Reply 32
You forgot to answer this question from Vorsah: " It's not shameful man, can I ask why you got married so early?"

Well she's the girl of my dreams. I'm not ashamed of anything but the fact that I can't support myself wholly. Hopefully this internship at State Street will help give me a step-up and allow me to secure another internship next year. The extra cash will also help for a deposit so I guess I'm trying to stand on my own two.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending