The Student Room Group

What should I be doing in my first year to help me get a vacation scheme later on?

As the title states, what should I be doing in my first year to ensure I get a vacation scheme after my second year, and help improve my chances of landing a training contract?

I'm not 100% sure on how the system works, but I'm fairly certain you can only do a vacation scheme after your penultimate year, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Original post by canada87
As the title states, what should I be doing in my first year to ensure I get a vacation scheme after my second year, and help improve my chances of landing a training contract?

I'm not 100% sure on how the system works, but I'm fairly certain you can only do a vacation scheme after your penultimate year, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Get involved in extra curricular activities, join societies, apply and hopefully get on to some first year schemes (there are loads now), keep abreast of the news/engage with it, and make sure you get a 2:1 in your first year.

None of the above will guarantee that you will get one, but it will definitely put you on a much better footing than if you simply study all year.
Work experience, work experience, work experience.

And it doesn't have to be law-related (although that's good too!). Get a summer job. Just get exposure to business. Pretty much all the firms you'll end up applying will be corporate ones.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending