The Student Room Group

The 1990s was ******* awesome

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TurboCretin
Tbf that almost describes Oasis.

yes it was one of my jokes.

Perhaps I should start making them funny (?)
Reply 21
Original post by Drewski
Take the rose tinted welding mask off.

4 tv channels, mobile phones barely capable of functioning, truly awful pop music, dial up internet that you couldn't use if someone wanted to use the home phone...

Pretty much this.
Original post by Drewski

4 tv channels, mobile phones barely capable of functioning, truly awful pop music, dial up internet that you couldn't use if someone wanted to use the home phone...

Television is only thing that is better now (and I'm talking about American television... British TV has lost its charm).

In any case, I'm sure having an iPad is a great consolation for someone with 40k in university debt who can't afford to buy a decent home
Original post by Drewski

But S Club 7 :cry2:

But I agree on the dial up internet! Also did anyone else have to beg their parents for speakers for the computer as they didn't all come with speakers like laptops today?!
Original post by midnightice
X

:lol: That's actually quite funny. And the bit where he mentioned that the only music he likes is stone age stuff.

Actually, medieval music is quite good. I give you the medieval hardcore party mix.

I still believe some decades are objectively ****, and we are in one. The 1310s, for example. Not a good vintage

[video="youtube;xaRNvJLKP1E"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaRNvJLKP1E[/video]
Yeah the 1990s was a cool era to grow up in.

I think a lot of Blair's success in his early years was down to him tapping in to the "Cool Britannia" thing. Britain had changed, it had left behind the troubled times of the 1970s and 1980s and things were getting better generally. The cultural scene with British music was pretty amazing, it was the era when English football went from a sport associated with hooliganisms to the Premier League with it becoming far more part of British society (and hence a lot more money coming in and a lot of top international players coming to England.) Society was changing and becoming more tolerant, racism/homophobia were now on the margins rather than being things people openly expressed.

However to give some balance, not everything was rosy. Crime was higher in the 1990s, violent crime especially. I think policing has improved since then. Unemployment was also much higher in the 1990s although it was generally on a downward trend. Low wages were also a real problem, people talk about the cost of living crisis now but inflation was higher then and we didn't have the minimum wage or tax credits.

Also public services were shoddy back then, hospital waiting lists were really long, I remember having family members on the NHS waiting list for surgery and they were on like 18 months to 2 years, "being able to afford private" was the sign of being really well off. Schools were crap you would have to move out to a room where there was no heating and you had to sit with your coats/scarves on, for weeks at a time because there was some facilities problem in the normal room and it took ages to get fixed because there was never any money. It makes me laugh today when people say how "mass immigration" has pushed public services to breaking point, they aren't near the breaking point they were in the 1990s before most of the immigration happened.

I think it was a harder time if you weren't well off but if you were a university student/graduate then going to uni in the early 1990s would have had some advantages. You got grants then so didn't get in as much debt (although it was still a system of grants and loans) and you didn't pay fees. The overall student support was lower - if you talk to people that went to uni back then they will reminisce about how shoddy the accommodation they lived in was, and how completely broke they were all the time. It was undoubtedly hard to be a student back then! But the graduate job market was probably easier if you had a decent degree, and if you graduated in the early to mid 1990s then house prices were at a low point and after a few years working if you could get a mortgage you might well have seen your house double in price over the next few years. They enjoyed a graduate opportunities and housing windfall that the current generation can only dream of.
Original post by cambio wechsel
yes it was one of my jokes.

Perhaps I should start making them funny (?)

Woops.

Obviously too eyebrow for me.
Original post by TurboCretin

Obviously too eyebrow for me.

Oasis were never two-eyebrow for anyone surely.
Original post by TheBlackWatch
Television is only thing that is better now (and I'm talking about American television... British TV has lost its charm).

Only?

If you honestly think that you need your head examined.

Or are probably no older than 17.
As someone reading this on my smartphone on a high speed internet connection I'd beg to differ
Original post by Drewski

^ This guy gets it.

Chart music has always been ****e, and instead of ISIS we had the IRA. The people may have changed, but overall the social environment (as far as the reasons OP highlighted are concerned) remains largely unchanged.
Original post by leinad2012
As someone reading this on my smartphone on a high speed internet connection I'd beg to differ

much better than affordable housing and no fees higher education, yes.

I don't think anything more needs to be said.
much better than affordable housing and no fees higher education, yes.

I don't want university to be free, you'd end up with hundreds of thousand of people doing **** courses that lead to nothing wasting 3 years of their life at the taxpayers expense.

As for housing people moan either way, bar London (and to an extent the home counties) most areas have affordable housing if you're sensible enough to save up for a deposit, £10k on a deposit isn't all that difficult to save up for in a few years.
I don't want university to be free, you'd end up with hundreds of thousand of people doing **** courses that lead to nothing wasting 3 years of their life at the taxpayers expense.

we know that this isn't true because it wasn't true in the 1990s being discussed. Fewer people (in absolute terms and as a proportion of the population) went to university and distribution by subject wasn't substantially different.

Perhaps the most interesting psychological feature of the fee introduction was that while a middle class commentariat imagined that it was going to put the poor off, in fact the poor seem to have thought "well, if it's something actually worth paying for, it might be worth looking into..."

As for housing people moan either way

they moaned a sight less when the average home cost 5x average income than they do now that it is 10x.
(edited 8 years ago)
they moaned a sight less when the average home cost 5x average income than they do now that it is 10x.

Then they should be sensible and realistic when buying a house. It's perfectly possible to buy a nice place in a good part of the world for not very much at all.

I've just bought my first house, in a nice part of Manchester, for less than 4x my (quite low) income.
How was the 90s awesome all I remember of being special school without a choice and stuck with a bunch of kids who couldn't count to poxy ten

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
They were hopeless even when they still did, in the feted 90s. Monobrowed pub-quality Beatles tribute act.

They were not very good so they went into acting, I like the irony of how they sing about peace while beheading kafirs
(edited 8 years ago)
we know that this isn't true because it wasn't true in the 1990s being discussed. Fewer people (in absolute terms and as a proportion of the population) went to university and distribution by subject wasn't substantially different.

Perhaps the most interesting psychological feature of the fee introduction was that while a middle class commentariat imagined that it was going to put the poor off, in fact the poor seem to have thought "well, if it's something actually worth paying for, it might be worth looking into..."

The difference is nowadays even those on lower income have access to education rather than just the elites, or is that not a good thing in your opinion? Tbf Labour ****ed us with the 50% in university bs.

True, but why is that now the case? Because when it was at that level people would buy numerous houses (as well as increase demand now) increasing that price. Either way I'd rather own a smaller home now and have the commodities i do at my disposal than live in a big home with ****ty tv, ****ty internet ****ty computers (even things like expensive plane tickets) and less opportunities (I almost certainly wouldn't be at the university i an if i was born in the 1990's)
There is absolutely nothing wrong with 90s pop...

Quick Reply

Latest